Headed to get 2 441s in the morning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkstihl

Chainsaws make me fap.
Reaction score
Headed to get 2 441s in the morning one is a cm, one runs the other doesn’t. Will update with pics and tear downs tomorrow been awhile since I posted, haven’t really had anything exciting lately. How y’all been doing?

I'll look forward to tracking your progress. I'm putting a new top end on an MS441C M-tronic this week. The owner lent it out and the borrower straight gassed it. Compression dropped to 70 psi.

The service manual I have for a 441C does not show the wiring to the carb that this one has. But, I think I can get through it. Tearing this saw down is not a cakewalk by any means. However, it is easier to remove the outside handle than the one on the 661C I worked on last year.

Today I rebuilt the MS 441 C M-tronic that was straight gassed. After I finished it started and ran well, but I need to test it while cutting in hard wood. I think OP will likely find that it will be difficult to remove the piston pin. My pin was really tight, much tighter that any piston pin on any chain saw engine that I have ever worked with in 20 years. In short, that was a struggle and a half.

There were several other parts on this M-tronic saw that are not shown in the IPL or SM that I received here for a 441 and/or 441C. In short, it will not be an easy top end rebuild. It took me just as long to take this saw down as it did to put it back together with the new parts. Two years ago I rebuilt an MS362 in half the time as it took me to rebuild the top end on this bear cat. But, it started and ran today and I must admit that I gave a sigh of relief and lots of thanks to the Man upstairs.

It will be very interesting to see what OP runs into as he rebuilds his pair. I trust I have at least given him some warnings.

Well she was a pretty good haul today 2 441s 1 044 and a junk 290 and 02980DBB43B-7D8B-4315-89B9-C38D19CFFF8A.jpeg84CE7A61-C58B-4BC7-8FE9-B057F2FCE43B.jpeg5BE234D5-0AE8-4CD3-8040-9234B75497A4.jpeg

I disagree, but please allow me ask these questions:
(1) Do you intend to rebuild and repair the MS441 saw that does not run?
(2) Is it a 441C --> M-tronic?
Just curious, and not dead. This could be an interesting thread. :rolleyes:

welp turns out one was a reg 441 and one was a 441c which is fine by me... neither of those are mtronic are they? Anxious to get home and disassemble!

The 441C will be M-Tronic. The MS 441 will probably be unlike any saw you’ve ever worked in before, and not strictly in a good way. You’ll probably get confused when you get the air box off and then need some Ibuprofen for the headache when you go to replace at the throttle linkage, especially if you’re used to working on the 1128 or 1122 series saws.

They do run well, though. They pull about the same as an 046 stock for stock, burn less fuel, have nice spring AV and burn a lot less fuel. It seems like Stihl tried to copy the 372XP’s power, air filtration and AV, and then made it their first stratified scavenging chainsaw.

The 441C will be M-Tronic. The MS 441 will probably be unlike any saw you’ve ever worked in before, and not strictly in a good way. You’ll probably get confused when you get the air box off and then need some Ibuprofen for the headache when you go to replace at the throttle linkage, especially if you’re used to working on the 1128 or 1122 series saws.

They do run well, though. They pull about the same as an 046 stock for stock, burn less fuel, have nice spring AV and burn a lot less fuel. It seems like Stihl tried to copy the 372XP’s power, air filtration and AV, and then made it their first stratified scavenging chainsaw.

Hell yeah thanks for the info, and 1128s are what im used to.

It took me about 11 hours to rebuild the top end on my 441 C M-tronic, nearly half of that was just taking it down to a point where the new cylinder could be installed. Before I tried to start it, I said a short prayer for spiritual strength. That worked and the saw started and ran. I intend to use this saw and not straight gas it the way its last operator did. If you would like to see a pic of what's left of the old piston, I can supply that, but sometimes that gives people nightmares.

Back