hello, looking for some help here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
hello, my name is Koty,
it would appear that my dad spent hours, upon hours here. it looks as if he mostly did alot of reading here, but also engaged in some colorful converstions over the last few years. first things first, my dad was a great guy who would do anything for anyone. secondly, over the last three years he was in alot of pain, and not always thinking clearly due to all the pain meds he was on. some of the stuff he posted here, was definately the meds talking, and i apologize for any feathers he may have ruffled. we lost dad a month ago to cancer, just after the busy harvest season, and it has been tough. i am 19, and the third generation of this family, born and raised in a john deere dealership. one of the last things dad helped get into motion, was incorporating Stihl power equipment into our dealerships, and effectively tripling the sales, service, and parts of lawn and garden equipment for the company. even though he often questioned the direction things were headed, i know he was very proud of the legacy this family has built in the Deere brand. now i need some help. dad had been collecting stihl chainsaws since the early 80's , i am told. he has accumulated more than 300 stihl chainsaws, and all but a dozen or so are still brand new/unused in the box. he had 10-12 saws that he would use, or let us use for firewood, the rest are untouched, unopened, new in the box. dad had a 30'x30' workshop, all of his saws were proudly displayed in this building. he called it his "saw shop". i am wanting to sell most of these saws, but am not sure how to go about it. i have no idea what these things are even worth. dad also had some dealings with a guy named Rich at a place called Myrtl Creek Saw Shop. i guess he is an avid saw collector as well, anyone here heard of him? dad left me his john deere 4020, which grandpa had since it was new. he and i restored it together, and finished it before his health completely failed, it is really all he had that i want. i just dont know what we will do with all these saws. just looking for some help here, and quit honestly some closure. heck i dont know, maybe i should just back that old 4020 in the "saw shop" and lock the doors tight, then maybe it will be my kids' problem. you all seem like a great bunch of fellas here for the most part, i can see why dad spent so much time here. he just loved those damn chainsaws for some silly reason. thanks for listening, Koty.

Yes if you have
hello, my name is Koty,
it would appear that my dad spent hours, upon hours here. it looks as if he mostly did alot of reading here, but also engaged in some colorful converstions over the last few years. first things first, my dad was a great guy who would do anything for anyone. secondly, over the last three years he was in alot of pain, and not always thinking clearly due to all the pain meds he was on. some of the stuff he posted here, was definately the meds talking, and i apologize for any feathers he may have ruffled. we lost dad a month ago to cancer, just after the busy harvest season, and it has been tough. i am 19, and the third generation of this family, born and raised in a john deere dealership. one of the last things dad helped get into motion, was incorporating Stihl power equipment into our dealerships, and effectively tripling the sales, service, and parts of lawn and garden equipment for the company. even though he often questioned the direction things were headed, i know he was very proud of the legacy this family has built in the Deere brand. now i need some help. dad had been collecting stihl chainsaws since the early 80's , i am told. he has accumulated more than 300 stihl chainsaws, and all but a dozen or so are still brand new/unused in the box. he had 10-12 saws that he would use, or let us use for firewood, the rest are untouched, unopened, new in the box. dad had a 30'x30' workshop, all of his saws were proudly displayed in this building. he called it his "saw shop". i am wanting to sell most of these saws, but am not sure how to go about it. i have no idea what these things are even worth. dad also had some dealings with a guy named Rich at a place called Myrtl Creek Saw Shop. i guess he is an avid saw collector as well, anyone here heard of him? dad left me his john deere 4020, which grandpa had since it was new. he and i restored it together, and finished it before his health completely failed, it is really all he had that i want. i just dont know what we will do with all these saws. just looking for some help here, and quit honestly some closure. heck i dont know, maybe i should just back that old 4020 in the "saw shop" and lock the doors tight, then maybe it will be my kids' problem. you all seem like a great bunch of fellas here for the most part, i can see why dad spent so much time here. he just loved those damn chainsaws for some silly reason. thanks for listening, Koty.
Yes if your dads saw collection inludes new old stock 044 and 066 model saws they are worth good money. A few othet models (034 and 036) will sell quick also. If theres big dog saws like 084 ya same ,

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is hard to lose a close family member. Take your time and make sure your not selling yourself short on the sales of the equipment. There are a lot of people that would jump on new in box stuff. and old ones can have value too.
thanks for all of your kindness. dad and i were together every single day over the last year. we all knew the end was coming. there is just now way to prepare for it.we are just starting to think about moving/selling some of dads stuff, and still not sure what to do with it all. i have kind of made this my winter project. i would like to make sure someone that appreciates these saws ends up with them.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I made it to 50 or so until my parents passed and neither was a long drawn out affair like you describe.

You state dealerships plural. The trend is to merge many locations together, force them to drop carrying brand x tractors, and perhaps more I don't know. I can only guess how your family figures into this got bought out or are running the Dealerships. My thoughts as to what you are asking would be to find someone knowledgeable with a storefront, maybe an internet presence of some kind and basically put them on consignment. That could well be at one of the dealerships, it isn't uncommon for Stihl dealers to have vintage stuff up on a shelf not for sale. What about machinefinder.com a Deere entity to search the inventory of I think all dealers for Tractors, implements, and attachments. Is there any suitable category, I see you stated a Stihl rep is going to give you some advice.

Totally unrelated, It sure seems health problems are greater near agricultural chemicals in this general area. Though I doubt you area is raising the tobacco leaves that cigars are wrapped in that seem to be where folks I hear about with something sort of similar to what you describe.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I made it to 50 or so until my parents passed and neither was a long drawn out affair like you describe.

You state dealerships plural. The trend is to merge many locations together, force them to drop carrying brand x tractors, and perhaps more I don't know. I can only guess how your family figures into this got bought out or are running the Dealerships. My thoughts as to what you are asking would be to find someone knowledgeable with a storefront, maybe an internet presence of some kind and basically put them on consignment. That could well be at one of the dealerships, it isn't uncommon for Stihl dealers to have vintage stuff up on a shelf not for sale. What about machinefinder.com a Deere entity to search the inventory of I think all dealers for Tractors, implements, and attachments. Is there any suitable category, I see you stated a Stihl rep is going to give you some advice.

Totally unrelated, It sure seems health problems are greater near agricultural chemicals in this general area. Though I doubt you area is raising the tobacco leaves that cigars are wrapped in that seem to be where folks I hear about with something sort of similar to what you describe.
we have merged with another family/dealership, there are now 17 locations in northern indiana and southwest michigan. i am not sure what to do, we are all still in shock over this to say this least. dad was a leader, a larger than life kind of guy. everyone that knew him admired him, he was a friend to all, and never knew a stranger.

My condolences to you and the family. Work your way thru the grieving process -- its different for every individual. Handling that in time will clear your head and heart and enable you to make good decisions moving forward. There will be plenty of interest in the inventory you have inherited. Catch your breath and don't get in a hurry. Do some research -- many good fact-gathering ideas have been given already. Some NOS (new old stock) saw do indeed sell for more than their original price if they are collectible and desirable to "Stihl heads" (guys who really love the Stihl brand saws). Saw gatherers and collectors come in all shapes, sizes and levels of character (or lack thereof). Get to know the things your dad left behind, they were important to him so learn a bit as you go. Remember, you don't have to do anything with these saws TODAY -- take your time and make sure you make the right choices. You'll be glad you did. Prayers for the family!

Koty, sorry to hear about your loss, Take your time and with as close as you were with your dad the lessons, advice, discipline, guidance and love will help you make the right decisions. Condolences to you and your family.

One thing I have learned, once you sell something it's gone. Then the money is spent on something else that may or may not be as long lasting as what you sold and it's gone and you don't have anything left. If it was me I would move slow, make sure you are selling them for the right reasons, not just to buy a fancy truck, or a atv that you are gonna flip on a rock and destroy your first time out. If you aren't needing to pay bills and keep the lights on I would take my time and make sure that I really want to get rid of something that was such a big part of my dads life. He took a lot of time and put a lot of effort into building his collection, and not just for him but for you too. I understand you may not have his interest, and you may not have as an emotional connection to all of his saws but they meant something to him and in a way it's part of whats left of him here. If you do sell them, please try and have a plan for any money made and spend it wisely, or better yet save it wisely. And my condolences, to lose your father at any age let alone at yours is hard. My father had a scare a year ago, heart attack, he is the strongest man I know and still works twice as hard as people half his age. My thoughts are with you.

One thing I have learned, once you sell something it's gone. Then the money is spent on something else that may or may not be as long lasting as what you sold and it's gone and you don't have anything left. If it was me I would move slow, make sure you are selling them for the right reasons, not just to buy a fancy truck, or a atv that you are gonna flip on a rock and destroy your first time out. If you aren't needing to pay bills and keep the lights on I would take my time and make sure that I really want to get rid of something that was such a big part of my dads life. He took a lot of time and put a lot of effort into building his collection, and not just for him but for you too. I understand you may not have his interest, and you may not have as an emotional connection to all of his saws but they meant something to him and in a way it's part of whats left of him here. If you do sell them, please try and have a plan for any money made and spend it wisely, or better yet save it wisely. And my condolences, to lose your father at any age let alone at yours is hard. My father had a scare a year ago, heart attack, he is the strongest man I know and still works twice as hard as people half his age. My thoughts are with you.
Very hard for some to understand, but truer words have never been spoken. Nice post

Sorry for you lost and I remember some of your dads post here, he left you a nice collection, take your time selling them. Some here will give you an honest answer on their value. Feel free to Start a personal conversation with guys here and get some opinions, I will be happy to help. Once again sorry for your lost, I lost my dad to liver cancer and other complications in 1999.

Sorry for your loss.

Dont rush to get rid of his saws. Ya gotta remember they were his pride and joy. Ive got a lot of my dads stuff after he passed and it sure is nice to be able to play with his saw or go hunting with his guns. anyhow take your time and sorry again for your loss

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back