hello, looking for some help here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sorry to read this Koty, I cant offer you any advice regarding you Fathers collection other than what i have been given. My Grandfather left me all his tools ands guns when he passed and i will never sell any of it. It will be my boys someday.

hello, my name is Koty,
it would appear that my dad spent hours, upon hours here. it looks as if he mostly did alot of reading here, but also engaged in some colorful converstions over the last few years. first things first, my dad was a great guy who would do anything for anyone. secondly, over the last three years he was in alot of pain, and not always thinking clearly due to all the pain meds he was on. some of the stuff he posted here, was definately the meds talking, and i apologize for any feathers he may have ruffled. we lost dad a month ago to cancer, just after the busy harvest season, and it has been tough. i am 19, and the third generation of this family, born and raised in a john deere dealership. one of the last things dad helped get into motion, was incorporating Stihl power equipment into our dealerships, and effectively tripling the sales, service, and parts of lawn and garden equipment for the company. even though he often questioned the direction things were headed, i know he was very proud of the legacy this family has built in the Deere brand. now i need some help. dad had been collecting stihl chainsaws since the early 80's , i am told. he has accumulated more than 300 stihl chainsaws, and all but a dozen or so are still brand new/unused in the box. he had 10-12 saws that he would use, or let us use for firewood, the rest are untouched, unopened, new in the box. dad had a 30'x30' workshop, all of his saws were proudly displayed in this building. he called it his "saw shop". i am wanting to sell most of these saws, but am not sure how to go about it. i have no idea what these things are even worth. dad also had some dealings with a guy named Rich at a place called Myrtl Creek Saw Shop. i guess he is an avid saw collector as well, anyone here heard of him? dad left me his john deere 4020, which grandpa had since it was new. he and i restored it together, and finished it before his health completely failed, it is really all he had that i want. i just dont know what we will do with all these saws. just looking for some help here, and quit honestly some closure. heck i dont know, maybe i should just back that old 4020 in the "saw shop" and lock the doors tight, then maybe it will be my kids' problem. you all seem like a great bunch of fellas here for the most part, i can see why dad spent so much time here. he just loved those damn chainsaws for some silly reason. thanks for listening, Koty.
Sorry for your loss Koty. I remember several conversations with your Dad. I am speechless and was unaware of your Dads ailment(s). I am just going to echo the sentiment that a few have already stated, and that is to wait a little while. Let things sink in, take some time to remember your father for who he was to you, and make a decision on your equipment after you have had the time to not think about it. We have lots of seasoned saw flippers here, and lots of vultures that circle the wagons. I wont purchase any saw from you, I have all I need, but if I can help, please feel free to PM me. Regardless if it is to get a second opinion on a saw price or condition, or just tell me a story about your Dad. My father died a little over a year ago, hang in there and reach out if you want to.

I was confused but now I see you are using your father's screen name/account. Correct?

Meh. I just turned 71 and can see your problem from the other end. That is, WTH are my children going to do with our life's accumulation?[emoji15]

Every time I work in my shop I think 'thanks dad' and he has been gone 33 years.

Sorry for your loss Koty. I remember several conversations with your Dad. I am speechless and was unaware of your Dads ailment(s). I am just going to echo the sentiment that a few have already stated, and that is to wait a little while. Let things sink in, take some time to remember your father for who he was to you, and make a decision on your equipment after you have had the time to not think about it. We have lots of seasoned saw flippers here, and lots of vultures that circle the wagons. I wont purchase any saw from you, I have all I need, but if I can help, please feel free to PM me. Regardless if it is to get a second opinion on a saw price or condition, or just tell me a story about your Dad. My father died a little over a year ago, hang in there and reach out if you want to.[/QUOTE

thank you sir. i think i will go out to dads building today and just take a look around. maybe just sit a while and take it in. on a different note, dad was after us relentlessly the last two years about cutting a serious amount of firewood. i mean a serious amount, he and i went round and round about it. i would guess we have 5+ years of firewood for us and grandma and grandpa. i guess the old man new what was coming , kind of makes me smile now that i think about it.

Thats exactely what you need to do.
Take several trips every day if you can, and let EVERYTHING sink in.
You are young and strong, you have firewood for a while.
Dont rush this !

You could change the screen name, but personally, I like what youre doing with it.

yes, should i have that stuff changed?
I wouldnt. I use my dads accound and log in name. on a fishing site. i just let them know what happened and asked if they mind i use his account. Everybody here would understand.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Koty, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. I believe it best to take some time and maybe start the 4020 and one of the saws once in awhile, and remember the times with your Dad. I would not sell anything yet, like said before, once it's gone, it's too late. Forty years later, I find myself looking for a saw similar to my Dad's old Mall from the 1950's when I was a kid, and I'd love to have that old Case tractor that he taught me to drive.

Those saws and the 4020 will always be a memorial to your Dad for you and your family.

All the Best to you, and Thanks for sharing.

Me anD my dad have spent several years trying to track Down a couple tractors that he sold over 20 years ago. And we have the serial numbers. I can't imagine if you decide 20 years down the road that you want to rebuild your dads collection where you would even start.

Take your time, maybe six months from now you will walk out in the shop, see a saw he was working on on the bench and think " I wanna finish this." If and when that happens we all will be here to guide you through it, and i have no doubt it will bring a smile to your face to know that your dad and you worked on something together even after he has gone.

Best of luck man, and take care of yourself.

thanks for all of your kindness. dad and i were together every single day over the last year. we all knew the end was coming. there is just now way to prepare for it.we are just starting to think about moving/selling some of dads stuff, and still not sure what to do with it all. i have kind of made this my winter project. i would like to make sure someone that appreciates these saws ends up with them.

Don't give in to the "low-baller's" that just want to flip the saw for a quick sale.

There will be many here that are interested in the equipment.

My condolences .

Me anD my dad have spent several years trying to track Down a couple tractors that he sold over 20 years ago. And we have the serial numbers. I can't imagine if you decide 20 years down the road that you want to rebuild your dads collection where you would even start.

Take your time, maybe six months from now you will walk out in the shop, see a saw he was working on on the bench and think " I wanna finish this." If and when that happens we all will be here to guide you through it, and i have no doubt it will bring a smile to your face to know that your dad and you worked on something together even after he has gone.

Best of luck man, and take care of yourself.
Perfect! Very sorry for your loss Koty. I can only hope that my family will seek the help of my friends if anything were to happen to me.

Koty,
You're dad was a good guy here. Loved to muck it up with the brawlers too. When you have time go through his old posts and see how much fun he had here.
Sorry for your loss.
To all the others here who have these "odd" collections...take the time to pencil and paper what you would want done with them in your absence/demise/debilitation. it WILL come to us all and will be less of a "burden" to executors of your estates and loved ones.

Signed
former banker and financial advisor who has seen all kinds of 'estate' nightmares.

Good luck Koty,
I did not have the honor of talking with your day and feel sorry for your loss. I agree with the majority of the posts , take your time the saws are costing you nothing to just hang onto them. Anything you do right now may not be looked upon as a good move 10 years from now. I wish I had more of my dads stuff but he did not have much to begin with. I lost him when I was 10 years old, remember all the good times you spent together . Memories will be very valuable in your future . Jeff

Back