helmets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle goddard

Original HitchHiker
Reaction score
Im looking to get a new helmet. Kask, Pacific Kevlar, or pmi. I like the fact that the last two have a brim. I want it to sit low on my head and comfort is a must. If i go with a kask im going to get all the bells and whistles that go with it.

Any input will help. Thanks.
Also is ther any difference in Pacific Kevlar and pmi.

I've had the Kask for about 6 months and prefer it over the petzl. Better fit for my head. My wife climbed with the Pacific Kevlar but I didn't like the weight of it. Too heavy. I haven't bought all the bells and whistles for the Kask. The face shield looks cool but I'm not sure how scratch resistant it is. I think it would get trashed fairly quickly.IMO.

I've been using a kask wiht visor and hearing pro....I was/am worried about visor but it has held up great so far. I keep it in a pillow case when not in use....Big difference for me between the visor and a full mesh like my old hard hat style helmet is that I am often spitting out chips that get in or near my mouth. The Kask is UBER comfortable YAY!!

If you have a knot of bone on the back of yer skull like I do, the Pacific helmet ain't gonna jive.

Plus 1 on the kask. I've owned most helmets. The pacific has the best headgear, but it suits logging more than climbing. It's quite a bit heavier, but the real problem is it sits high on your head so when you look up it starts hurting your neck. The kask doesn't use a suspension, it uses a foam insert that crushes on impact. That's why it sits low on your head. It's the lightest of the bunch. The visor is not worth getting in my opinion, unless you're super careful. My helmet tends to get thrown on the ground, rides in the back of the chipper etc, gets scratched up in no time. The strap system on the kask doesn't suit my big lumpy head so I cut it off and replaced it with a simple chin strap. The special clips you get for muffs are good. Or use earplugs, you won't even notice you're wearing a helmet. Avoid the blue one it gets too hot. Go with white or hi viz

Go with the kask. I had a visor on mine and it was ok. It comes in handy at times but is not, and was never meant to be, a replacement for safety glasses. Just saying. My visor finally cracked on one side where it attaches to helmet after a year or so. I had an extra visor and I never did put it on so I guess that means I don't like all that much. I noticed the weight being gone with out it. I only miss it when I am cutting bigger would and the chips are blowing in my face. But even then I don't care to put my extra on my helmet.

Love the Kask I have on in my avatar, it now has the mesh visor and muffs on it, sorry for the salutation.

For what it's worth the 5 kasks have bought my guys . ended up in the trash within a year, hot, smelly and fragile. The petzls far out last them. They do look cool...

Bought a kask in August and prefer it over the petzl which I have had 2 of over the last 6 years. Visor takes some getting used to, I use the salamander beek in the summer to protect my nose and face from the sun, I don't have a lot of skin left on my nose (layers) due to skiing and working in the sun for so long, sun screen runs off my nose on hot days and always forgot to re apply, the salamander beeks been awesome! Looks like I will be getting a few more kasks at the tcia expo when I buy the ropetek comm system from Paul. Marquis I think they changed the fabric up on the inside of the kasks and solved the problem you talked about.

it's true the kask is very much a disposable helmet, and with muffs and clips they come up to about $200 here in aus. They only last a year. After that time the fabric does let go, and they do stink and can't be easily washed. The foam crumbles and cracks which I guess drastically reduces the safety. None of the fabric or internals can be replaced as far as I know. If you do leave it in the back of the chipper and it gets wet, sitting it on the dash heater to dry it doesn't do the foam any favors. I'm guessing the suspension style helmets do offer more protection.

Shaun

I have both types, I prefer the suspension. The foam does transfer "bumps" to the head.

have a kask Hi Vis and love it got all the bells and whistles unfortunately however i cant use it at work and can only use it when im doing jobs for myself this helmet is not Electrical Hazard rated so I cant use it climbing so as of now it is an Airspading helmet because the visor works awsome and has taken some monster hits from rocks and has no damage at all it is extremely comfortable and is great to use on side jobs but next time ill probably get an Alveo with petzls visor muff combo

Bought a kask in August and prefer it over the petzl which I have had 2 of over the last 6 years. Visor takes some getting used to, I use the salamander beek in the summer to protect my nose and face from the sun, I don't have a lot of skin left on my nose (layers) due to skiing and working in the sun for so long, sun screen runs off my nose on hot days and always forgot to re apply, the salamander beeks been awesome! Looks like I will be getting a few more kasks at the tcia expo when I buy the ropetek comm system from Paul. Marquis I think they changed the fabric up on the inside of the kasks and solved the problem you talked about.

We sent two of them back for an "update" kask did repair them at no charge, but they didnt seem to last much longer then the first batch. The kask is a very well marketed product that is following the new trend in arborist equipment. Very cool must haves that are expensive and dont last very long. When they came out half of our guys wanted them, tried a few now no one wants one here.
I had the same experience with saddles, there are some very cool, lightweight saddles out there. You can easily spend $400-$500 on one. Tried a few. I have also bought a handfull of the more traditional buckingham deluxe saddles. I have a couple that been used daily for 3+ years, they have no visible signs of wear. We havent had the same luck with the newer lightweight ones. Leg straps are usually the first thing to go 6 months to a year, plastic snaps next...
I love new products and innovations for our industry, but I am concerned about too much from the rec rock climbing sport coming over to the professional arborist work climbing equipment. Too many of these products arent built rugged enough for our industry (all the rope bridge failures, the zig zag are good examples)..
Sorry wondered completely off topic, in buying all the gear for 20 guy I have noticed trends in the longitivy of certain things

The new kask is def an improved version. They still can get pretty stinky and slimy in the summer though. I used to actually wash mine out with the lining still in place. Just wash the whole helmet. Taking the liner in and out often just doesnt work out real good. I have used little round velcro tabs on the lining of my older kask because the originals always came off. New one not as bad. The liner is real nice but also a PITA at times to. The helmet isnt perfect but I like it

My kask only lasted a little over a year. I agree they get stinky and are hard to wash also they are hot to wear in the summer with the foam and fabric. I switched back to a petzel vertex it's just as comfortable as the kask.

The new kask is def an improved version. They still can get pretty stinky and slimy in the summer though. I used to actually wash mine out with the lining still in place. Just wash the whole helmet. Taking the liner in and out often just doesnt work out real good. I have used little round velcro tabs on the lining of my older kask because the originals always came off. New one not as bad. The liner is real nice but also a PITA at times to. The helmet isnt perfect but I like it
Yeah I wear the halo bandana so mine hasn't gotten to stinky yet.

Got my new ropetek comm system helmets from the tcia expo. I have 3 helmets set up, man these are awesome! No more yelling and screaming at each other ( while working!) or over loud engines. These are at the hotel the first night after I bought them, my girls and I were testing them out in the hotel! Don't know why the pics upside down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 19
Got my new ropetek comm system helmets from the tcia expo. I have 3 helmets set up, man these are awesome! No more yelling and screaming at each other ( while working!) or over loud engines. These are at the hotel the first night after I bought them, my girls and I were testing them out in the hotel! Don't know why the pics upside down?
They look nice but I cant stand wearing ear muffs during the summer. It feels like my ears are swimming.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back