helmets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look nice and I can see the benefit, but what are they $650 for a 2 man setup? From memory it's limited to 2 men also? And the kask helmets they're attached to last only a year.... Kinda pricey.

They look nice and I can see the benefit, but what are they $650 for a 2 man setup? From memory it's limited to 2 men also? And the kask helmets they're attached to last only a year.... Kinda pricey.
Nope you can run 4 helmets with em! I have 3 and plan on getting another one for my crane guy? Yeah we'll see about the helmets. Can't put a price on safety.

You can buy the same com unit in a behind the ears setup. I was thinking about doing that. They are originally design for motorcycle use

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm using an vertex vent that is mebbe 5 or 6 years old.
Is like an old reliable friend. Comfortable enough that you can sometimes forget you are wearing it.
Me too. Check the date stamp. All of the plastic helmets break down in UV light and should be replaced.

Just ordered a new Vertex Vent from Bailey's. On sale for $89 plus free shipping.

I personally wouldn't consider a visor a replacement for safety glasses...no more so than I do the screen on a forestry helmet. Just extra protection for chips in the face. I have been quite content in the tree with anti-fog scratch resistant safety glasses. I bought several different pair at once to figure out which are the most comfortable. Good safety glasses can be had for under $10-$15. I'd consider $20 to he high end!

Do the petzel vertex sit around the same as the Pacific Kevlar. I use a vertex now. Ita old but it works. I just want one of my own.

Do the petzel vertex sit around the same as the Pacific Kevlar. I use a vertex now. Ita old but it works. I just want one of my own.

I make enough to pay for them and to have my crews work very safe so no big deal for me, would you wear cheap saw pants or crappy boots? Me neither
So you have a big inflatable bouncy under each tree just in case somebody falls out? Or maybe you build a scaffolding around the tree to hook into before starting work? Cut everything with a butter knife because that would be safer than a chainsaw? Only work for 2 hours at a time to avoid fatigue? The other 30 hours per week are at safety trainings (of course, can't go over 40 hours...that is too much stress). Never go out if the temp is over 83 degrees or below 32? Only work between 8-10 a.m. and 3-6 p.m. to avoid the harmful skin cancer-causing sun of mid-day?

Can't put a price on safety - right? So why not?

Not disagreeing that safety must be first and foremost...and even that the attitude of 'can't put a price on safety' is a good attitude to have. But to suggest there is no such no price too high is foolish. Of course we must find that balance. If you aren't having "predictable" accidents/injuries and are profitable, you have hit the nail on the head! If somebody can't figure out how to do both, maybe they should let someone else better run the show.

Though, now that I think about it...if you don't turn a profit, you will be safe from the dangers of tree work real quick - so maybe that is the best approach ;)

(and reading back to where this started...I'll agree that $650 is not too high of a price for something that can make that big of a difference every day - good communication is one of the best ways to stay safe. So I am not totally disagreeing with you!)

So you have a big inflatable bouncy under each tree just in case somebody falls out? Or maybe you build a scaffolding around the tree to hook into before starting work? Cut everything with a butter knife because that would be safer than a chainsaw? Only work for 2 hours at a time to avoid fatigue? The other 30 hours per week are at safety trainings (of course, can't go over 40 hours...that is too much stress). Never go out if the temp is over 83 degrees or below 32? Only work between 8-10 a.m. and 3-6 p.m. to avoid the harmful skin cancer-causing sun of mid-day?

Can't put a price on safety - right? So why not?

Not disagreeing that safety must be first and foremost...and even that the attitude of 'can't put a price on safety' is a good attitude to have. But to suggest there is no such no price too high is foolish. Of course we must find that balance. If you aren't having "predictable" accidents/injuries and are profitable, you have hit the nail on the head! If somebody can't figure out how to do both, maybe they should let someone else better run the show.

Though, now that I think about it...if you don't turn a profit, you will be safe from the dangers of tree work real quick - so maybe that is the best approach ;)

(and reading back to where this started...I'll agree that $650 is not too high of a price for something that can make that big of a difference every day - good communication is one of the best ways to stay safe. So I am not totally disagreeing with you!)
Ha ha maybe I was just excited about getting them when I said can't put a price in safety! Lol seriously though, we did a crane removal Tuesday and it was so nice be able to talk not yell from the tree, not even having to free up a hand for signals and talk clearly to the crane Op was awesome! There seems to be an increase in serious and fatal incidents this year, 5 people have died within an hour of me this year alone from tree work and dozens of other accidents as well, both home owners and professionals. If you ever went to a TCIA expo Dr John Balls classes are a real eye opener for this industry. Anything to lesson the chances of getting hurt or injured as an owner I will do my best to do. Seriously though if you get a chance to use these you'll know what I'm talking about! I didn't mean for this to be a debate or anything just sharing my information on them. www.ropetek.com Paul's an awesome guy also!

I've been using the Peltor Pro-coms for several years now.

Love having clear communications.

As for helmets, still happy with my Petzl Vertex Vent

Just bought a petzl vertex vent, I'm hoping it'll cook my head less than the husky hat I've been using, seriously like wearing an oven on days over 25°c

Sent from my GT-I9210T

Petzl Vertex Vent, here, when it gets chilly.

2s11uds.jpg

I've had the Kask for about 6 months and prefer it over the petzl. Better fit for my head. My wife climbed with the Pacific Kevlar but I didn't like the weight of it. Too heavy. I haven't bought all the bells and whistles for the Kask. The face shield looks cool but I'm not sure how scratch resistant it is. I think it would get trashed fairly quickly.IMO.

Been using Kask for a awhile now though not sure how many bells it comes with. I just have visor and I am always overjoyed when I see people throw my spikes in on top of it. I hose it out every once in a while. of course it is overmarketed and over priced but Hey, if you can sell a 50 dollar item for 200 more power to you right?

'Tis the season... it won't last long. A couple months, at most.
When my youngest graduates, we are ,moving to the bayou to go "off the grid" and live in the swamps. Going to build one of those fishing camps that float around and disappear. Going to go find Shelby and hang with him.

Latest posts

Back