help/advice on new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok first off I don't want this thread turning into a brand a vs brand b argument. I went out yesterday and cut 2-3 cords of wood. I use a 4 year old homelite 4620C with a 20" bar to fell the trees. I used a borrowed Husqvarna 345 with a 14" bar to buck the logs into 18" rounds. My son used a Mac Eager Beaver 2.1 to delimb (I usually do this but was nice to have his help). My wife, daughter and son loaded it all up and home we went. Here is where I need some advice/help. When I got home the arthritis in my joints turned my hands into claws and was a few hours and 800 mg's of Ibuprofin later that I could use my hands. I also have carpal tunnel and this gets agravated by the saws. I can't/won't give up cutting as it is my sole source of heat in an area that gets to -20's on a regular basis. I also have a Solo 647 that needs a little work to get running good that is at my disposal. The Husq will eventually have to be returned and I need a replacement. I cut roughly 10-12 cords a year. Thanks in advance for any help. Also I could care less what brand it is as long as the trees come down and the rounds start stacking up.

It sounds like you need a light small saw with great anti-vibration tech.

Probably would help if you listed the size and species of trees you are cutting.

I've got both an older husky 51 and a new ms261. I like the stihl better, but both are great saws.

I'm not really partial to any one brand. But Jonsereds have seemed to be the smoothest saws I've ever run.

But you may try wearing really thick gloves. Back when I ran an XL12 all day I started with the gloves and could run 3-4 tanks without having to take a break. Without the gloves I had to stop after every tank and wait till I could feel my hands again. Did give me time to stack and such.

If you don't need longer than a 16-18" bar, either a Husky 346xp-G or 550xp-G (heated handle option) might do the trick. Light, with spring anti-vibration. Not sure if the current Stihl 50-60cc saws have heated handle options, and they're a bit heavier.

If you are looking for something light weight and good power, I just bought a Husky 450 which I really like.

For more power in the same saw weight 545/550 XP.

It sounds like you need a light small saw with great anti-vibration tech.

Probably would help if you listed the size and species of trees you are cutting.

I've got both an older husky 51 and a new ms261. I like the stihl better, but both are great saws.

Usually 12-16 inch pine, sometimes aspen. Every once in awhile I get some bigger 24+ but not very often

I would think the Husky 345 you were using already has pretty good anti-vibe. Jonsereds would be similar or the same, but with a straight angle handlebar. That may or may not make a difference. You could try some gloves made for mechanics that you will find in the tool section of a store. Also, just a thought, but if you are holding on to the saw with a death grip, it will tire your hands and muscles out quick. A firm hold is all you need. You could possibly wrap the handle bar with some kind of cushioned tape or wrap. I'm not a doctor, but they sell supplements that can help with achy joints, like vitamin c, fish oil, glucosamine. I'm a 45 year old diesel mechanic. I started taking some supplements about 5 years ago, and I definitely have less soreness than I did even 10 or more years ago. I think if you have high blood pressure, it helps with other things by getting control of that also. Don't take my word, but I would suggest doing some research, or even talking to your doctor. I like to avoid doctors, but your problem sounds pretty severe. That would suck the fun right out of working with wood. Good luck.

You can get a pair of aniti-vibration gloves for ~$15. I'd try those and see if they'll do the trick with the saws you are using. If not, your only option might be an electric chainsaw.

436-li-467fb65b.png

I would say a new 50 with spring antivibe would be the most practical for your situation.

and a perfect sharp chain! makes a heckuva difference not only cutting, but how smooth the saw feels in your mitts.

I have never run a heated handled version of a saw, but if you cut in wicked cold weather, I mean..what's not to like? Also the good antivibe gloves.

+1 on the supplements. My GF takes MSM/condritin etc and recently I put my oldest dog on the canine chewies with that stuff. amazing. GF will not do without her natural meds and the dog, instant difference. Give her (about a 12 yr old lab) the chewies, she will go for a walk the next day, skip the chewies, she barely makes it to the barn and parks it there.

If you are looking for something light weight and good power, I just bought a Husky 450 which I really like.

For more power in the same saw weight 545/550 XP.

There is a HUGE quality difference as well, between the 445 and the 550xp/545.

Also, the 345 is a better saw than the 445, even though both are "homeowner" saws.

Last edited:
Just been using regular old leather gloves so I will give that a try and see what happens. I do have an electric saw that I use when I am at home and it is much better but impractical out in the woods. I sharpen my chains before heading out every time and that does help some.

If you don't need longer than a 16-18" bar, either a Husky 346xp-G or 550xp-G (heated handle option) might do the trick. Light, with spring anti-vibration. Not sure if the current Stihl 50-60cc saws have heated handle options, and they're a bit heavier.

Stihl is not really an option in the 50 and 60cc classes at the moment.

The heated handle options surely are there though - but maybe not in the US?

After reading responses I noticed I made a mistake the Husq is a 435 not a 345 sorry

I would go with a husky 395xp, they pull a 36" bar very well and will pull a 18" bar like its mad at it:jester:

OK, in all seriousness a husky 550 or stihl ms261 would serve your needs very well.

Saw help

For the moment lets forget the saw breed,lets look at going to a dealer and go and handle some different models of saws. A 50 cc saw with a 18" 325 bar will do a lot of work. It sounds like you have the limbing saw already. I would say get that old solo up and running an d froget about new unless you have the saw hoarding itch. Keep the homelite and wrap the handle with some sort of cushy material and let the kid use it,with proper super vision.

There is some vibration gloves that I got from Bailey's. I think they were Youngstown brand. They do help with the saws and splitting by hand. The 261 Stihl is real smooth. I've not run any of the newest husky/jonsereds so I can't comment on the 550/2253.

Thanks for all the advice. I went out again today and with a buddy cut about 4 cord. I used the Husq excusively and my hands aren't bothering me at all. Must be my homelite that is the problem.

I do not know your situation, but when I go out for a half day of cutting wood I often have a couple of Alleve with breakfast to get ahead of the soreness, inflammation, etc. I think it helps a lot. Your experience may vary.

Back