help/advice on new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the husky 435 was ok, I'd just go with a 445. For whatever reason, this saw is much more pleasant than its price/pedigree would suggest. Much more durable clutch than a 435 and buttery smooth. I am not a husky fanboy, but the 445 is about as good as you can do for 300ish new

There is a HUGE quality difference as well, between the 445 and the 550xp/545.

Also, the 345 is a better saw than the 445, even though both are "homeowner" saws.

Oops, looks like I stirred up the old pro vs homeowner model debate.

For 10-12 cords a year, IMO a 445/450 saw will last him a long time. Although if you want to pay nearly double, the 550 XP is a sweet machine.

Thanks for all the advice. I went out again today and with a buddy cut about 4 cord. I used the Husq excusively and my hands aren't bothering me at all. Must be my homelite that is the problem.

there most certainly is a difference between an old rigid saw and a more modern saw with any sort of antivibe to it. That is why all the saw manufacturers went to it on everything but the absolute cheapest and smallest lowest grade models.

I do not know your situation, but when I go out for a half day of cutting wood I often have a couple of Alleve with breakfast to get ahead of the soreness, inflammation, etc. I think it helps a lot. Your experience may vary.

I do the same thing with ibuprofen when I don't want to wake up with a headache after I've had too many beers...Works like a charm.

"Hulk" or hulkster anti vibration gloves have been recommended several times in the various glove threads.

I am normally a Stihl guy, but I got the opportunity to run the 562xp 'Huskey last weekend and really liked it. Good all around saw, fast, light weight, fuel efficient. Will add it to my woods crew in the future. 59cc saw.

IME Husqies, Poulan Pros and RedMax saws have much better A/V than Stihl. Simple objective fact confirmed with friend: "now try this one and see if it's smoother under load; okay, now try this one."

The 435 (40cc) Husqy is one zippy little creature. For limbing, you'll really want to have a nimble responsive saw like that. With your sort of use, I'd expect around a decade of work out of it. Check prices on factory refurbs at VMInnovations (dot) com; just forget the newbie Homie junk there. A good bang/buck 2-saw plan there would be a 435 and 455r, ferinstance. Study up on chain filing.

The foam bike-bar tape works well, as do thick, resilient gloves. Rubber-palm woven gloves also work well for firewooding; they wear much longer than leather, and let you use a softer grip on the saw to retain control. And they're a couple bucks each, like $20+ per dozen. See "Atlas fit" or "Atlas therma fit" (winter, ~$40 per doz.)
It's gonna take me a long time to use up my first dozen. When they get nasty-dirty, toss 'em in the washer.

"White-finger" is a well-known, debilitating occupational hazard. Serious stuff. Many suffer horribly years later.

OP,
Look at the Redmax 3800, 4000, and 4500 on ebay. Just a few hundred bucks for a brand new saw. These are very powerful, some of the lightest and have great AV systems. For 14-16in wood you really can't go wrong and after being inside hundreds of saws of each brand I can say without any hesitation that the Zenoah motors that are in these saws are some of the finest produced! The fit and finish of these saws is amazing to say the least! You'll notice the super nice casting in the cylinder, a single ring piston design, super smooth transfers. Last but not least, a simple base gasket delete makes this thing push 180 psi!!!

Last edited:
Back