Help choose between a few saws (Stihl)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero Signal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all....long time lurker...first time poster. Anyways, a brief history: My first saw was a Stihl 028...used it for a while then sold it cheap to someone after it started having all sorts of problems. Needed a saw a while later, so I cheaped out and bought a craftsman to cut firewood and also help clear some trails on my friends farm. Lets just say I got what I paid for with that saw. I am now looking for another saw for firewood/ anything else that might arise (storm damage and so on). At the moment I am using a Mcculloch 310 that my dad had bought back in the early 80's. It runs and cuts great, but I'd rather not use it very heavily as it does have some sedimental value. Im trying to look for a used saw, and have come down to a 026 or a 029. If YOU were going to get one one...which would it be? Also...what differentiates the 026 from the 026 PRO? I have also come across a 036 pro..and a 039 in pretty good shape. Anything good/bad on these? I realize they are likely more saw then I need, but it also wouldn't hurt to have a bigger saw at times. Thanks

Saw choice

Of all the saw you mention you left out a little info. First thing to know is type of ,hardwood or soft wood. Size of wood being cut. Since no mention of dollars to spend,I am guessing cheaper. Also what dealer support for parts and wear item replacement goods. So if I was foing to take a guess at what you need would buy a 036 pro if it is in decent shape and get two bars for it,a 16" genera; use bar and 24" bar for the bigger wood,the second bar comes in handy if one bar gets stuck. If you could buy two saw it would be better. The 026 pro with 16" bar and a 036 Pro with a 24" bar would be a nice combo. Pro saws have a decomp and a adjustable oiler.

I can't help you with the Stihl choices except go with the pro models if you can. As far as too big a saw, well go with the biggest saw you can swing all day. My 372 makes a great limbing saw, bucking saw and felling saw. As I have said before the only time I switch to a smaller saw [or bigger for that matter] is when the 372 runs out of fuel and I am not by the truck. CJ

Unless you are doing much trimming or cutting of saplings or something really little. I'd just get the 036 Pro with a 20" and 25" bar. Get some Semi-Chisel Full Skip chain and you will have a one saw plan that will last you til death and part of your kids life.

Sam

The way I read your post is...you have a 036 Pro that you can go check out.
The others are..."just under consideration" and you don't have them to check out..??

For sure...get the Pro saw...either an 026 Pro or an 036 Pro..!!
(the 026 is a Pro saw...but doesn't have the adjustable oiler)

Can't advise you on the 036 Pro that you've not seen yet and you didn't mention the price.
:cheers:
J2F

Thanks for the responses. As far as wood goes, I mostly come across oak, thats the bulk of the wood I cut. As far as size goes, whatever I can get. I'll just cut it up into managable pieces and split it later. Most of the logs I cut are 24" in diameter or under, but sometimes larger. The 036 is sold as well as the 039, didn't jump quick enough, just gaining some info if I come across another. I'd love to keep the price somewhere around $200-$250 for a 026 in great shape, but I understand if I'll need to pony up a few extra $$ for a 036. I'm essentially trying to get as close as possible to one "do it all" saw. The Stihl dealer has the ms290 for $379, although I'v really been getting some mixed reviews on it.

Too bad the 036Pro got away - if it was in good shape. I love mine and have had it since new. That said, if you are regularly cutting 24" oaks go for something bigger. I have no experience with an 044 but from AS rep alone I would love to have one. Most of my cutting is now in the 24" and up range due to a lot of oaks dying; my 036Pro have gone from primary saw to secondary saw as a result - I use a 82cc MAC now as my primary saw. Ron

036 pro

there is 036 pro on ebay item #260858298211 nice looking saw 385 buy now or best offer. worth a look:msp_thumbup:steve

there is 036 pro on ebay item #260858298211 nice looking saw 385 buy now or best offer. worth a look:msp_thumbup:steve

Saw that! I dunno about an ebay saw though....I mean....I like to see the thing in person, start it, and so on, before I bought it.

I love my 440 with 25" bar but slinging that sucker for more than a couple hours is a back breaker and you will be wishing you bought a smaller saw to go with it. I now have a 250 to go with it.:msp_thumbup:

To give you an idea...I am 6'1" and weight 240lbs. so I am no slouch.

Latest posts

Back