Help finding good trre trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all us us do line clearance or are self employed-i just want to climb without the headaches of equipment payments, or customers, or employees. But the thing is, since my employer wants to keep me, he takes very good care of me. This is a lot of the problems i see around here about companies looking for "good" climbers. They want someone good, but they don't want to pay him. Around here, you won't find a high caliber climber without paying him over 30 an hour with full benefits. Are you willing to make that sacrifice? Most companies aren't, so end up with the 15 an hour caliber climbers.

Glad to see you're back, beo, good insight.

I was reading the other thread on this subject but it appears it got a little out of control. I have run ads what a joke.
That was my thread, it did get off topic, that happens often, no worry's!
You sound like my twin!:cheers:, we share the same grief, all the good ones are taken or are owners themselves. I am leaning towards the "stealing from another company" idea. Sounds rotten, but there are some good ones out there, with a little more money, they might leave. But finding the guy to replace you is different than just a climber, some one who will take ownership of his responsibilities of running your crew is a whole other animal, if either one of us find that guy, and are able to go and sell, the thoughts of success are endless! which brings us back to the problem, although I have not stopped searching, I have realized that it is not easy and will take awhile, but I refuse to take anything less. The want adds ARE a joke! All kinds of crazy's calling! Good luck with it!
Time to make the Donuts

I'm subbing for a service at the moment on a tree that two other local guys turned down. The service I am subbing for is scared of the tree. First time I have subbed for anyone in ten years. I still do my own thing with my own guys and my own equipment.

Money talks. They paid my asking price. If I can climb one without me being liable or having to haul the debris then it's worth my while to just climb it for what I would like to net on the job if it were my own.
Yup subbing can be the answer but most of these guys have control issues lol. I at 28 years don't need training, I need motivation and it comes in greenbacks not bs. I have been a sub it is harder than doing your own thing because if your like me you want to be a blessing to who your helping by making him and yourself money. I have subbed for a few and one was a member here and we did good,another was ok with the sub thing as long as you were there 100% for him. A sub is not an employee, he wanted an employee. I personally feel subbing is the best way to get quality help and if you had enough subs to pick from you could do so without being in a bind. One thing though, you are not their boss so to speak your mainly using their service to allow you to get more quality work performed at a predetermined price. Oh and expect to pay more than usual but then there is benefits to this such as: no payroll , no wc , and no emotional baggage the usual 15 per hour worker brings with him if he shows and is not hungover.

good point but you cant count on a sub on a day to day basis, cant build a crew around a sub. I am always thinking long term. Anyone on my jobs must be covered by wc also. Do you have your own wc ?

Also if a so-called sub is using my trucks/ my equipment/ doing my jobs-- then I am told he is not really a sub and I must cover that sub under my wc/ uncle sams piece and all that. or am I wrong?

Also if a so-called sub is using my trucks/ my equipment/ doing my jobs-- then I am told he is not really a sub and I must cover that sub under my wc/ uncle sams piece and all that. or am I wrong?

That is absolutely correct I have my own gear, bucket truck,grapple truck tax id etc.

There are around 12 criteria that need to be met to separate the sub from the temp-employee. You can meet all 12, but if your W/C requires that the sub has his own policy, the auditor will put his fees on your payroll if he is not covered.

There are a few ways to work around that, What i will do is break my equipment rate off of my labor, and bill the labor out at an industry standard wage.

The sub can also have a W/C policy with a self exclusion - it costs $900/yr and you get back around $600 after the audit. I've not had enough people want me to carry it to justify the expense.

Lastly, for the occasional client I will break an invoice down into separate consulting points, to include crew training in hazard recognition, climbing and rigging.

Yup subbing can be the answer but most of these guys have control issues lol. I at 28 years don't need training, I need motivation and it comes in greenbacks not bs. I have been a sub it is harder than doing your own thing because if your like me you want to be a blessing to who your helping by making him and yourself money. I have subbed for a few and one was a member here and we did good,another was ok with the sub thing as long as you were there 100% for him. A sub is not an employee, he wanted an employee. I personally feel subbing is the best way to get quality help and if you had enough subs to pick from you could do so without being in a bind. One thing though, you are not their boss so to speak your mainly using their service to allow you to get more quality work performed at a predetermined price. Oh and expect to pay more than usual but then there is benefits to this such as: no payroll , no wc , and no emotional baggage the usual 15 per hour worker brings with him if he shows and is not hungover.

I have hired three members from this site as subs when I was busy. All positive experiences. I worked a couple of big jobs together with two of them but it was always my crew doing our thing and theirs doing their own thing. The definition of a sub to me is someone I don't have to babysit on the job, uses their own help and their own equipment. All of the subs I used here I very rarely even showed up on their job until it was time to pick up the check.

I have seen the guy I'm subbing for now once and that was about a five minute visit where he was fascinated over my gear. He spent about five minutes asking what this and that was, said your doing a good job and left. That's the only way I'll work for someone else. I have no problems following directions but following orders is a whole other ball of wax on any job I'm in charge of.

I have hired three members from this site as subs when I was busy. All positive experiences. I worked a couple of big jobs together with two of them but it was always my crew doing our thing and theirs doing their own thing. The definition of a sub to me is someone I don't have to babysit on the job, uses their own help and their own equipment. All of the subs I used here I very rarely even showed up on their job until it was time to pick up the check.

I have seen the guy I'm subbing for now once and that was about a five minute visit where he was fascinated over my gear. He spent about five minutes asking what this and that was, said your doing a good job and left. That's the only way I'll work for someone else. I have no problems following directions but following orders is a whole other ball of wax on any job I'm in charge of.

Yes; though it is prudent to stick around long enough to see he is, who he says. If their ins declarations are in hand its a pretty sure bet they are who they say and at that point they are doing their own thing for my customers and is the way a true sub should be! It is great when pros come together, too bad it takes a disaster to have enough work for it to happen!

so pretty much what you guys are saying is sub it out or climb, or I guess put somebodys' shoes on so they can run. I did try the local classifieds- that was interesting-.

so pretty much what you guys are saying is sub it out or climb, or I guess put somebodys' shoes on so they can run. I did try the local classifieds- that was interesting-.

No it's just one option but anyone worthy of hiring is likely doing their own gig or soon will be. You may find a top notch climber that has not made it due to costs but the better ones are doing their own thing usually. I feel for you bro I know how hard it is to find dependable help. If I was close I may work a couple days a week with you or if I got slow close don't matter. I have been quite busy 3 week back log now!

No it's just one option but anyone worthy of hiring is likely doing their own gig or soon will be. You may find a top notch climber that has not made it due to costs but the better ones are doing their own thing usually. I feel for you bro I know how hard it is to find dependable help. If I was close I may work a couple days a week with you or if I got slow close don't matter. I have been quite busy 3 week back log now!

Or,you might find a guy that started on a bowline-on-a-bight, tried a biz, went subbing (Ching!), then he hang's his hat at a place that works for him.
Jeff :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back