Help for WildnCrazyGuy,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I can't figure out to send images in a p.m., so I will put it up here, and maybe we can all pitch in and help as well.

This involves his tractor that he drives out to cut firewood with, so it is in
fact, on topic because he takes his chainsaw with him on it.....

The lever you need to wiggle is at the number 25 and 27.

Thank you Fish. Will try to locate that on the actual tractor, if i can unstrap the chainsaw enough to look under the seat...

It is on a mtd/troybilt.

yep diffintly a peerless

thats all mtd used besides the hydro gear but that is not a hydro gear

how did you find that image is that on parts pro or something ? oh also how is my new banner on my signature ? colorful aint it ? still if you clicked on the banner it takes you to my site

those peerless i overhaul but very seldom do i get a overhaul job in

Last edited:
Nice site Calvin.

I used the parts lookup at Milaca Lawn and Garden.

His first problem was that the tractor would not roll, so I am guessing a
stuck brake.

Nice site Calvin.

I used the parts lookup at Milaca Lawn and Garden.

His first problem was that the tractor would not roll, so I am guessing a
stuck brake.

yep stuck brake he may also want to take the top cover off that goes thru the gear reverse neutral and forward area in the center of the frame by the seat take that plate off uses two phillips head screws and the knob on the shifter needs to be taken off once that plate is off you can see inside the area make sure that pto pulley is not stuck in place dont forget the wire for the reverse mode safty switch
which is under that plate

its the pulley that has two belts going on it tensiometer pulley is another word for it

if that pulley is rusted shut that is why it wont move cause that is what controls the forward motion as well as the reverse motion also the clutch is hooked into that same pulley

if its stuck shut wd-40 works wonders or fluid film

also could be that brake on the transmission side could be rusted shut

but check both to be safe last resort is the internal parts on the transmission but rule out those other areas first

what i suggest is take and put blocks under the mower to raise the back tires enough to where they are off the ground then start the mower up and put it in gear with that center plate off see if that pulley is rotating in a circular motion if it is standing still with it in gear then thats the problem cause that tensiometer pulley suppose to be rotating along with the belts

Last edited:
Calvin, you may be right on. I looked down through the battery compartment and there is a pully that is rusted something fierce. Can't get to it just yet. It's been sitting outside, for probably all its life, but sitting, rusting for apparently the last year or year and half.

I'm trying to do some good for family. They need a mower, but have little money. Hence why it's been sitting, no money to fix. I thought I'd try to get it going again for them. Make it my Winter project. It was just sitting out with no TLC, rusting away... no effort I could tell to make it good again. I say rusting away, but it looks in great shape. (Until I tear into it and find all the rusted parts like that pulley for instance.) It'll get in my garage as soon as I can make it move better and it stops flippin raining. It just won't stop raining it seems here in Raleigh. They keep talking about lack of rainfall. Come to my house!

Anyway, thanks for the info. Once I figure out how to make it roll again (stick is in nuetral, but it's locked up) then on to the harder stuff like draining the gas that's prolly been in there for over a year. I was told it was pulled out to get things started from sitting all Winter (2 years ago?) and couldn't get it to start. Ran ok before the Winter... Then prolly have to tear into the carb and soak it. Definitely needs a new battery. Haven't checked fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, etc. Did I mention it's been raining? If I could get a few minutes without rain... I could probably get it moving inside... where I could work on it. Just picked it up Saturday night. Oh well...

Calvin, you may be right on. I looked down through the battery compartment and there is a pully that is rusted something fierce. Can't get to it just yet. It's been sitting outside, for probably all its life, but sitting, rusting for apparently the last year or year and half.

I'm trying to do some good for family. They need a mower, but have little money. Hence why it's been sitting, no money to fix. I thought I'd try to get it going again for them. Make it my Winter project. It was just sitting out with no TLC, rusting away... no effort I could tell to make it good again. I say rusting away, but it looks in great shape. (Until I tear into it and find all the rusted parts like that pulley for instance.) It'll get in my garage as soon as I can make it move better and it stops flippin raining. It just won't stop raining it seems here in Raleigh. They keep talking about lack of rainfall. Come to my house!

Anyway, thanks for the info. Once I figure out how to make it roll again (stick is in nuetral, but it's locked up) then on to the harder stuff like draining the gas that's prolly been in there for over a year. I was told it was pulled out to get things started from sitting all Winter (2 years ago?) and couldn't get it to start. Ran ok before the Winter... Then prolly have to tear into the carb and soak it. Definitely needs a new battery. Haven't checked fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, etc. Did I mention it's been raining? If I could get a few minutes without rain... I could probably get it moving inside... where I could work on it. Just picked it up Saturday night. Oh well...

i know about the rain its raining here today and i have to get mom down a wheelchair ramp so we can go to the memorial service so using a umbrella over the wheelchair is my option that way it will keep her dry

Fish this is not the 600 series ?

on the carb go to auto zone ask them for the gallon container of carb cleaner that stuff works wonders on carbs but have gloves and mask ready cause it is potent stuff

i had a customer one time call me up said my mtd rider went into the river see they live on the river bank that engine was shot water logged i said you need a new engine but i revived the mower

Last edited:
Calvin,

I didn't read about your dad until I saw your post. Prayers for your family. God will keep you strong.

Well, here it is. I haven't even washed it yet. Just been rained on...

Fish and Calvin were just right. I was able to find that transmission lever and tapped it gently with my trusty hammer and it moved. Now I can roll the tractor around at will. Goes into and out of Neutral, Forward, Reverse, just fine. Now for the engine. I'll make a trip to the auto parts store and get me a can of carb dunking stuff with the tray. Whichever brand they sell.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well... I messed it up. Gonna probably have to drop some cash on a new carb. Can't match model number up, but from pictures, looks like 125.00. Dam! Was hoping to keep this budget small. Tiny screw in the carb, can't get out. Giving up tonight. Will try to post pics of damage this weekend to see if there's any hope, thoughts or suggestions... Really bummed and I was having a good night. :cry:

Don't give up on it ,that little screw might be used to plug a blind hole.Run a tag wire (or the wire from a bread twister with the plastic removed) through all of the passages and loosen up the crud.After the junk is loosened up you should be able to finish the cleaning by spraying it out with carb cleaner.(Wear some safety glasses,that stuff is pretty hard on your eyes.Don't ask how I found that out.)Put it back together and try it.

I wouldnt get too carried away. What screw are you trying to get out? I would do like Will said and run some wire in the passages and try putiing it back together and trying it. You surely have time with all that rain your getting. Maybe if you post a pic and model number of carb someone may have one.:cheers:

Here is the diagram of the carb, it is either a Walbo or Nikki, both are shown.

If it is the Nikki with the weird gasket, don't get carb cleaner on the gasket,
and be careful when blowing it out, or you will lose the jet.

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I don't know the technical terms for parts in the carb so forgive me. Fish, it is a Walbro LMT 4993 (stamped) looks like.

I was trying to disassemble the carb to put it in the Berryman's Chem Dip gallon tray thing. Got it mostly apart, gaskets, float, etc. My problem was I was trying to figure out how to take out the choke linkage with butterfly thing. The butterfly thing is held on by 2 small screws. First one, no problem, the other one wouldn't budge. Now the head of the screw is toast, can't grab it with nothing, so I tried for a short bit to drill it out. I got down to just past the head after about 10 minutes. New drill bit too.

So, If I could get the screw out, then so far, I just have to replace the tiny screw. No other damage so far. I was thinking my worse case would be to somehow carefully cut the linkage out to get it out and then have to buy that whole linkage part for hopefully just a few dollars, not 100+. I can then still dip my carb, get a kit for it and reassemble.

I think it definitely needs a kit and I'm not used to seeing carbs like this. Mine (chainsaws) are clean as a whistle usually, so I don't know if this thing can be cleaned up. Gummed up something fierce. The float with the needle was gummed up, cruddy so bad, I couldn't figure how it came out, until finally I pulled and pryed long enough to find brown sticky glue holding it in. :laugh:

I'll need some help if it's determined I can go farther. The throttle linkage is the next item on disassembly. Couldn't see how that came apart either, but it's plastic, so I didn't want to dip it. I'll take some pics and post and see opinions for what to do...

I never dip carbs, just disassemble and clean with some spray.
I would put the other screw back in with lock tite, the jet up in the column that the bowl nut screws into is what you need to clean, and any orifices in
the bowl nut, if you have one.
If you have a fuel solenoid, you need to see if that is working as well.

sounds like you taking it apart more than you need to, but no pics to see what you are dealing with
for something that looks so new on the outside seems odd that the carb would be that bad

Latest posts

Back