Help HUSKY 55 Chainsaw Problem!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biketrax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
:bang:
OK I screwed up big time! :mad:
Ran the engine on wrong tank GAS ONLY!
I have the engine apart. There are scratches on head and bore
1 need new ring
2 bore needs honing (can a local AUTO machine shop do it?or should I send it to a specialty shop?)
3 I most likey need new piston head

And where can I get the parts online?
Any other advise would be greatfull.

Local shop said cost is in the 200 dollar range "just buy a new saw"
Tell me it aint So!!!

Sounds like you are getting into a little pocket change. I would replace it and with another saw, and put the old one back togather and sell it on evilbay, but explain what happened. That stinks good luck :chainsaw:

Piston and Cyl for a 55 Rancher list out at $200. Part # is 503609172. If you can do the work and the saw is fairly new, then go for it. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense.

Thanks for the input !

Saw is realativly new So I would like to repair it!:clap:
Thanks Guys! Fish Whats the best way to hone the inside of the cylnder?
And where could I buy this stuff. ?
any mail order worth it?
thanks again

You are not actually "honing" the cylinder as most use the term, the cylinder is nikasil coated on the inside very hard stuff but not indistructible. You cannot bore the cylinder oversize as oversize pistons are not available and nikasil would need to be reapplied and the ports would be altered. I am rebuilding a husky 55 right now and will tell you in my experience scotchbrite and elbow grease not enough muriatic acid to smelly and ball hone just right. Do not use shoe or stone hones will chip ports or make uneven surface. Ebay had a large selection of pistons for husky 55 oem, golf ,and gb. The GB pistons had the best quality vs. cost in my mind and was thouroughly pleased with the product. I have bought two pistons from the seller sprocketorgan and have no complaints. Be careful as husky 55 saws have two different piston diameters 45mm and 46mm check twice before buying. Most 45mm saws are limited to 1998 production ( mine lucky me). Also be warned $30 for piston $40 for 320 grit flex hone (which in the 1 7/8 size proper for 46mm is hard to find) plus base gasket and bolts,(I broke one muffler bolt) gas for cleaning, new plug new filter time searching for parts time fixing time reading replys time washing hands time spent smacking head for simple beginner mistakes new saw does sound more attractive. Just keep old saw for reminder of proper fuel mixture.

Latest posts

Back