Help! Looking for a laser measuring attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric3077

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was at the gie-expo show last year and a vendor had a device for like $50 that you could attach on your chainsaw and you could set it to 16" or whatever you wanted and it would beam a red laser to the end of the log and once you aligned the laser to the end of the log wherever the bar was would be exactly 16". Perfect for firewood...anyone know where to get one, I can't find it online anywhere. Thanks!:chainsaw:

I`ve seen it in the Dolmar or Jonsered cataloge here in Austria. Sorry don`t know where you can get it.

I know I was a great help for you that the product can be ordered over here. :greenchainsaw:

7sleeper from Austria

I want one of those markers, but since I cut my firewood at 24", I'd have to buy another wheel, and I'm too cheap to spend 35 bucks on such a thing. I use a 2' stick on a handle and a can of paint. Need something quick when cutting up hardwood limbs, otherwise you end up spending more time marking than cutting. The stick is also nice because you can "skip" over defects, rotten spots, etc.; whereas with the marker you have to watch to make sure the wheel is in the right position and stays there when you move it.

If the laser would work reliably in different positions, I'd definitely be interested in at least seeing one and how it's designed. A certain place that sells tools from China has what they call a "laser marker", says it mounts with screws, adhesive, or magnet. Basically a small laser pointer on a ball swivel, you'd probably have to adjust the laser to be at the mark either with the tip or base of the bar against the log to be consistent.

The one problem I have is that I'd want it to be on both sides of the bar, sometimes you have to cut the other way down a log. Something to fool with, might have to pick up a laser this weekend and play.

Stoves are really not that fussy.

Eye-balling the smaller stuff, and taking the squire-pointed end of a chain-file you can scratch your block length into the bar.

Yeah, but the carpenter in me won't allow me to have a firewood pile that looks like the dog's breakfast. Not usually uptight about stuff like that, but I really enjoy a neat-looking stack of firewood.

Yeah, but the carpenter in me won't allow me to have a firewood pile that looks like the dog's breakfast. Not usually uptight about stuff like that, but I really enjoy a neat-looking stack of firewood.

What's the diff between a carpenter and a cabinet maker?

...about 6 tubes of caulk. LOL... :laugh:

Just bustin' yer chops. Couldn't resist...

So + or - one inch is a big deal on a wood pile?

Just wonderin'... :)

Gary

Sort of seems the vibration would eat them up fast.

I just measured and put a paint mark on the saw. Only use it the first few cuts after being out of practice for a while, then it's pretty easy to eyeball the lengths +- an inch or so.

Lots of years on the old drafting boards helps the estimating too...

k

Here's one that may actually be useful in some settings, but is definitely strange. Is it made by "Ronco?" :hmm3grin2orange:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CB41

I have one of these, and I love it. Only caveat is that you really need to pick a saw for it and leave it on, if you have to put it on and remove it all the time it's a pain. I cut a lot of tops, so I'll go in and cut all the limbs from 2" up to about 6" or so, and drag them all clear and into a pile or just on the ground. Bigger stuff gets cut up, then I grab the 141 with the CB on it and go to town. Saves you from doing what I call the "seven-toe shuffle", trying to hold the limb with your left foot while cutting and balancing on your right. Much faster than picking them all up and putting them in a sawbuck.

I *could* eyeball 24" pretty reliably, but my stick and paint works well and is fast. Used to use the bar to measure, and I still measure all my saws when I get them to know where different measurements are. I do use a light tan paint, blends into the woodpile much better than fluorescent marking paint.

Just found this, is this what you saw?

http://www.laserfox.de/text.php?pos=|3&nav_id=3

My german is rusty, but looks like 135 Euros for the kit.

Edit: also found a youtube vid, like how they've got it lensed to be a line instead of a dot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4LaCb67-XA

Yet again: The laserfox is on page 124 of the German Dolmar catalog. List for 149.

Last edited:

I'm just an eyeballer, but I did wrap a piece of electrical tape on the handle of my pickeroon to measure 16" wood for my cookstove. Usually just mark one though and eyeball the rest.

Festus, if you like a neat stack check out the Shaker Round. I don't have the time for it but looks cool.
attachment.php

Festus, if you like a neat stack check out the Shaker Round. I don't have the time for it but looks cool.

Yeah, always wanted to build a holz hausen like that. More because it's cool-looking than neat. I'd like to do two of them with a wall in between, make a castle out of firewood.

That's a pricey little buggar the LaserFox but works quite well. I see they choose a top line saw too attach it too :clap: :cheers:

May I be of help translating.

You are correct the price for the unit is (Stück = Amount of units)

Preise:

1 - 2 Stück 135.00 €
3 - 4 Stück 132.00 €
Ab 5 Stück 125.00 €

Stück = Amount of units

The adapters cost (the adapter is chainsaw model specific for example Stihl
Modell:MS341/361). they also have a universal adapter.

Preise:
0 - 2 Stück 15.00 €
Ab 3 Stück 12.00 €

In short: they describe that with a srewdriver you ajust the mirror of the laser to your desired length. It is important to keep the blade 90 degrees to the tree.

If someone wants one, send the amount with what model saw they have and I`ll order it and send it.

7sleeper from Austria

I forgot it has won the inovation prize of "youth in research".

on the home page they have the specific adapters

http://www.laserfox.de/shop_adapter.php?pos=|4|6&nav_id=6

7sleeper

Back