Help make a fixed angle crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On my log splitter build I would like to build a cable winch crane to pick up the large pieces, 20" L x 36in dia max. I have gone back and forth...log lift or crane....log lift or crane. I have decided crane so I can have both sides of the splitter open. Wedge is on the beam and opposite the hitch. Beam is 10x10in and 9ft long I have alot of 5in channel and the cable winch from a silo plus cable to work with. This place always has great ideas.

Brian

So what exactly is the question?
An idea for the base so it will swivel is to use a hub and bearing assembly from a truck or jeep. I am using the whole rearend out of a jeep for my log boom grapple. Search around and you should find some great ideas. Pipe in pipe comes to mind as well.
use the channel to make an upright, maybe back to back channels, and then make an angle to run the cable through.
this should get you started https://www.google.com/search?q=harbor freight truck crane&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS387US387&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bhr9Us7lDrOMyAGo8ICgAg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775
My truck crane is the pipe in pipe design with a top bearing.

So what exactly is the question?
An idea for the base so it will swivel is to use a hub and bearing assembly from a truck or jeep. I am using the whole rearend out of a jeep for my log boom grapple. Search around and you should find some great ideas. Pipe in pipe comes to mind as well.
use the channel to make an upright, maybe back to back channels, and then make an angle to run the cable through.
this should get you started https://www.google.com/search?q=harbor freight truck crane&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS387US387&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bhr9Us7lDrOMyAGo8ICgAg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775
My truck crane is the pipe in pipe design with a top bearing.

I've seen this design you describe before, while maybe not exactly the principle and parts were the same, it works slick!

A quick post by me Dave and I didn't word it the greatest. Just looking for dimensions (length, do I box the channel or put it back to back, what type of swivel base will work etc). I don't plan on using a jack for the angle just some pieces of steel. Looks like the harbor freight is 4ft tall and 4ft on the horizontal. I'm probably over thinking it and all I want it to do is pick up the piece. swivel it over and drop it on the splitter.

It seems to me that hand cranking a silo winch would be awful slow,(unless you put a drill on it LOL) but the price is right.

If it were me I would box it with the channel, maybe build the jib on an angle like 45* fixed with a pulley on it for the cable. The big thing is having the piece over where you want to load it and not have to struggle with every piece.

What size is that channel? Is it actually structural channel with the radius in the corners to the web or some type of formed product?

The reason i bring that up is structural channel in 5" usually comes in 9 and 6.7 ( 5 being inches tall and 9 being weight in pounds per foot ) with the web being about 5/16 for the 9 and 3/16 for the 6.7.

With decent welds both would be more than enough by themselves I would think. For sure to handle anything you would dare
to split.

Metal can take a lot more than one would think provided it is used correctly engineering wise and assembled properly. Go to the store and look at a 2 ton shop crane. Look at the metal thickness and remind yourself that 2 tons =4000 lbs and probably has a "safety factor" of 10% for a grand total of 4400lbs

Dave has a great idea with running the cable through something on the channel. Maybe a piece of rod for a axle with a small piece of pipe as a roller and then weld a plate on the channel to lock it in and you have your own integral pully.

Speaking of pully's, most hardware store types that you would think of for something like that are only rated at 400lbs max. Making your own with some plates and a bolt and a piece of pipe would probably be far stronger than what you could buy for under $50.

This 5" channel came off a bridge that Grandpa helped take down many years ago. On each end there is a 3/4 hole for bolt/rivet and they are over 10ft long. It has thick ears/flanges but I know the web is not 9lb/ft maybe 6.7 or smaller. Probably used to keep the vehicles from plunging to the earth below. Thanks for info

If you mounted the crane/hoist on a trailer or pick up truck bed, and parked that next to your splitter, could it do dual duty? Be used to hoist the large stuff into the trailer or truck, and be used to load the splitter? The larger platform would also give you more stability.

Just a thought.

Philbert

If you mounted the crane/hoist on a trailer or pick up truck bed, and parked that next to your splitter, could it do dual duty? Be used to hoist the large stuff into the trailer or truck, and be used to load the splitter? The larger platform would also give you more stability.

Just a thought.

Excellent idea... I had thought of that too. I think you could just come off the receiver hitch provided the part that slipped into the hitch was 1/4 thick and gusseted at every joint. It wouldn't skid logs but could handle firewood sized rounds no problem.

Kyle not seeing it i would think you'd be fine. Typically stuff used for bridge work is pretty heavy duty. Especially the old time stuff when steel was cheap before China got in the game the way they are now.

Philbert

One of the best crane set up I have seen was on this forum. If my memory serves me right (Kevin in ohio) is his name on here. He had a great thread of his whole build start to finish.

Just a thought.

Philbert
This is what I have been working on. I did a test lift of around 750lbs. then tried to pick up opposite side of trailer. It was fine. Once the first log goes on, it will be even more stable. I can take 2 bolts out and still use it as an engine crane. It's almost ready.image.jpg

Latest posts

Back