Help me choose!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clever!
I’m trying to be practical and not spend a ton of money on a saw I’m not going to use every day.... but all bets are off when I’m at the dealer holding those badass pro saws......

The MS-241 C-M was the 3rd chainsaw and my FS-250R string trimmer that I used cash back from a credit card to buy them.

Total money saved on those 4 purchases was real close to $1000.00. :happy:

So I went around all my local dealerships today and handled a bunch of saws.... surprisingly the one that felt the most comfortable to me was the Stihl MS291..... I didn’t like the feel of the Echo Cs590.... too bulky and cumbersome. Also IMHO the echos just felt cheap, despite the split mag crank case.... the husky 450 felt comfortable as well but I was impressed by the quality of the Stihl.... didn’t bite the bullet yet, gonna think it over....

Too bad the Dolkita's are such an oddity. Really solid feeling saws for the money.

Only handled the 421/4300 and 6421. But I'd guess the 5000 would be a great saw for what you are needing.

Nothing really cheap about a CS-590. Ergonomics are decent, tops the scale a tad heavy for 60cc but PLENTY of professional features including adequate power for bars to at least 24", and tough as nails. Mine is pretty much my "go to" saw these days, trying to "kill" it on purpose but it's not cooperating.

I've set-up a few CS-490's and they a bit lighter, well made, etc, but not overly impressive for power or cutting speed and not even in the same league as a CS-590. A CS-490 wouldn't even hold a candle to my CS-510 or either one of my Husqvarna closed port 55's.......Cliff

Too bad the Dolkita's are such an oddity. Really solid feeling saws for the money.

Only handled the 421/4300 and 6421. But I'd guess the 5000 would be a great saw for what you are needing.
It would. A 510x with an 18" bar would handle most people's cutting needs. Once the dream of 14.5k is cast aside they are stone reliable, torquey saws. I'm actually cleaning components to put one back together tonight. I always seem to have one around.

590 felt bulky but a PLASTIC 291 felt solid??:laugh:
Yeah... I know everyone loves the Timberwolf but I just didn’t like it. I hate the cheesy choke control and on/off switch. I looked at the 490 as well and though I liked the size/weight, again I felt like I would break the choke control off in about a day. Sorry that’s just my opinion!

I didn’t like the feel of the Echo Cs590.... too bulky and cumbersome. Also IMHO the echos just felt cheap, despite the split mag crank case

That was my exact same thoughts after looking at the echos. Thought it might be my husky bias.

The 450 may be hard to beat because of the smaller form factor unless you want to spend more money. I haven't ran either, but I'm guessing it will cut right with the 290.

Good luck.

You should seriously consider this saw.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsered-2159-price-lowered.326494/

Buy yourself a nice set of chaps, some hearing protection, and a couple loops of RS. You'll be set to cut 4-5 cord for the next decade, and have $$ left to take the family out for a steak dinner. You want sensible? There you go.
It would. A 510x with an 18" bar would handle most people's cutting needs. Once the dream of 14.5k is cast aside they are stone reliable, torquey saws. I'm actually cleaning components to put one back together tonight. I always seem to have one around.

This one?

Makita EA5001PREG 18" 50 cc Chain Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS3SLC3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zlA.BbXAC0WSR

Looks like a nice saw. I want something my local dealers will work on... stihl, echo or husky

OP,
Bang for the buck - ECHO. You can't go wrong with the CS-490. If you feel that you need more power, the 590 will get it done.

On the 490:
Do a muffler mod and re-tune it accordingly. This will wake up the saw quite a bit.

It comes in 0.325 from the factory, but if you want the 490 to really tear $hit up, convert it to 3/8LP.
Get an Oregon 3/8, small spline drive rim (Oregon part # 18720) and the 3/8LP bar of your choice. 3/8LP bars assume the "standard" 6 point spur drive. The Oregon drive rims are 7 points, so the chain will need to be 1 drive link longer than what the bar calls for. If you want to stay with off-the-shelf components, get a 16" bar that calls for 56 links and use a 57 link chain (16" Echo bars use a 57 link chain, so most dealers and the big box stores have them on the shelf).

I'm running an 18" bar on mine with 63 drive links (the bar calls for 62). I found a local shop that will spin chains for me, so I'm not limited to custom internet orders, or what is on the shelf at the big box stores.

I had been doing my firewood with my two saws for years: one, a saw I bought for my business, a Husqvarna 40CC 41 (cheap junk made by Poulan) but good for cutting fence posts and cross bucks or floors out of horse trailers - and my main work saw, a ported 20 year old 70cc MS440. That saw is my work horse, but it weighs a lot with its longish 28 inch bar for bucking firewood. I never thought about having a shorter bar in it. It is setup to fall the big pine and firs on my place, which I log off every couple years, and I leave it that way.

Last year I built a MS361 Huztl 59cc kit saw. THAT saw is a kick butt firewood saw! I originally built it because I wanted to learn chainsaws inside and out, and how to port them. I had just finished a largish, for me, logging job, and it left a lot of slash piles and non-commercial market reject wood. I was tired of lugging the 70cc 440 around. I absolutely love the power and weight of the 361 with a 20 inch lightweight bar.

I post the above not to recommend you to get a 361. Or a kit saw. But if you need all around useful power at a weight you can absolutely manage, keep your sights somewhere around 60cc saws. I've now built a number of kit saws and worked on a bunch of OEM saws. If I had to pick an all around favorite one saw fits all, it would always be 55-65cc 10-13 pound saw with a 20 inch lightweight bar.

I wish I was looking for a saw to buy. That'd be fun project.

Rick

Latest posts

Back