Help me decide on a new Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJay03

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi im a young new home owner and could use a new saw. I live next door to my father but he only has a small homelite saw and a bigger 18" saw that is old as dirt.
I Just had 7 trees dropped on monday and they are good size trees one is about 3 foot wide at the base and another is close to it. I also have several trees down in the woods I want to clean up. I could also use this for firewood since I have a fireplace.
There is a Husqvarna dealer not too far from my house so I got looking on the web site for a saw I might be interested in. The first 1 that caught my eye was the 357xp but I called the local shop and they said the price was $669. Was a little more then I wanted to spend but I could use some bonus money if I have too. I seen the 455 rancher also but the more I read up on it I think that it would leave me wanting a better saw. I also heard the 359 was a good saw with some work. I just need some help from the experts as what might be the best saw for me.

Stick around here long enough, and you'll own saws for all occassions. The affliction is called CAD. You'll start investing in saws rather than silver or gold. You'll try to the corner the market on saw futures.

In all honesty, the saw make and model that comes up most often here is the Stihl MS361. Seems to be a good middle of the road professional saw. But like I said, it will only be the beginning of a quest to own the biggest and baddest saws on your block. Welcome aboard and have fun here. There is an unbelievable weath of information on this site.

Haha thanks flatpikr. My problem is im on too many forums and have to many hobbies and always have to buy one of the best so I end up broke. The way I see it tho a chain saw is much more needed then some of the other toys I buy. I really enjoy being out doors cutting wood though :). Specially when a friend brings over a saw also and helps out!

I would say a jonsered 2171 for a 36" bucking job. But that's just me. There will be plenty of other folks with opinions on this.

Check the classifieds here, last time I looked there was a clean 440 and 441 there, 372 also.

With 3ft trunks, you want a 70cc saw.

Wow thanks for all the quick replys! The rest of the trees arent quite as big so I wouldnt mind if I have to make another pass on the other side to get the cut made. I would be happy with around a 20" blade so the 361 "59cc" is sounding good for my needs. Just wish I had a splitter also haha.

The 361 is a great saw but I would want more hp. You could run a 25-28" full skip on it if needed but it will be better with the 20" you mentioned. PB has a used 361 in the classifieds too.

If the 361 is within your price range, then definitely get it. You'll burn through small to medium stuff and the saw will handle a 25" bar if you ever need it. It is hands down the best model to get if you are only going to own one saw.

If the 361 is not within your price range, then take a serious look at the Stihl 270. Most of my saw use if for firewood and the 270 just eats it up.

If you're going to only have one saw, a ~12lb 60cc class machine with 4-4.5hp is the way to go.

Stihl MS361 (or 036/360, if used) or something like Husqvarna's 359 or 357xp (or a bunch of others, if used), would be the way to go. 16" bar for the regular stuff, 24" with skip for the bigggggg stuff.

Man I still hate that I had to sell that car it was my baby. Just bought the house tho and needed the money pretty bad. Send you a PM to show you my fquick page.

you mentioned 36 and 30" wood.

id recomend the 372 or 460 stihl. itl take along time buckn 3 foot would with 24" bar exspecialy if you have alot of it.

souds like you need pair, 346 and 372
or the 260 and 460

good luck and have fun playn in all that wood.

Ill get some pictures tomorrow of some of the trees if I get time to show you guys what I got to work with. Ill measure them too so I know the exact size.

To the OP, how much cutting do you REALLY think you will do? It sounds like you are on your way to CAD already, the splitter comment sent up a red flag for me!
I would say the "typical homeowner" will be happy with a Wildthing or a 455 (I HATE that saw BTW!!)
I typicly tell people that are "serious" to buy one size larger than needed.
You have just jumped in head first already!!!
The 361 is a nice saw, but after running an 044, then it, not all that impressed, at least for the weight.
I don't care much for the 359 in stock form, bu many here LOVE it with a muffler mod, easy to do.
I honestly thing my next firewood saw with be a 357xp, nice weight, good balance. I really like the Huskies in that size, they just feel good to me.
But a 24" is about as good as it will really run in hardwood and be happy in that class. Since all you are doing is bucking it up, the 20" should be fine!
Maybe watch ebay and get a blown up/worn out 359 and put a 357 cylinder and piston on it?
Just some ideas and opinions.

Stick around here long enough, and you'll own saws for all occassions. The affliction is called CAD. You'll start investing in saws rather than silver or gold. You'll try to the corner the market on saw futures.

In all honesty, the saw make and model that comes up most often here is the Stihl MS361. Seems to be a good middle of the road professional saw. But like I said, it will only be the beginning of a quest to own the biggest and baddest saws on your block. Welcome aboard and have fun here. There is an unbelievable weath of information on this site.

Not me, I got an MS270, some good research and work with the dealer, some lucky, but it does what I need very well, and when I push it occasionally, it handles that fine.

Now if I was cutting 3 ft trees, I would have got a different saw!

If the 361 is within your price range, then definitely get it. You'll burn through small to medium stuff and the saw will handle a 25" bar if you ever need it. It is hands down the best model to get if you are only going to own one saw.

If the 361 is not within your price range, then take a serious look at the Stihl 270. Most of my saw use if for firewood and the 270 just eats it up.

Yep, like he said, MS270 is a cutter and you can push it past its categroy when you need to.

It will take a 20 inch bar (though I run an 18 which works better for what I do with it).

The MS270 is a very new design saw, incorporates a lot of the features of the pro saw (leavbng out the adjustable automatic oilier).

The anti vibration system is absurdly effective. Literally zero vibration.

Only complaint is it can be fussy to start at times. That may be my saw, though others report that as well.

Latest posts

Back