Help me decide on a new Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow several awsome opinions and good advice and all of it is right on track if ya ask me. I run a 361 pro with a 20 and RSC chain for 90% of my cutting, I use a cheap walmart special Poulan Wild Thing to clear the smallest brush to make safer footing and access to the real wood cutting.

For my .02 cents... IF that is the biggest stuff your gona get into and it isnt going to be the normal cutting a 361 or the 357xp husky with a 20" bar would be my choice. maybe grab the cheapest small saw ya can find to clear the brush and if it lasts 4 years then replace it with whatever you can afford then, aka a larger saw for the big bucking if you end up doing more large trees than you expected or a hi quality small saw for the brush work. I prefer the Stihls but that is due to having a dealer local that treats me as well as my brother inlaw very very good! When i purchased the 361 pro I was actually leaning towards the 357XP but the dealer and service made the decision for me.

I will deff tell you that i have cut ALOT of 30" plus slabs with my 361 and the 20" bar. It deff takes longer than it would with the big saws most the guys on this forum have but my finances just dont afford dropping another grand on a saw. I sure wish they did :)

Yes lots of help from everyone great site. I have a small homelite that does ok with the small stuff.

get a 359, spend the extra on some ppe.

then later when you get a bigger or smaller saw, you'll have a nice range.

or just get a 361.

Wow several awsome opinions and good advice and all of it is right on track if ya ask me. I run a 361 pro with a 20 and RSC chain for 90% of my cutting, I use a cheap walmart special Poulan Wild Thing to clear the smallest brush to make safer footing and access to the real wood cutting.

For my .02 cents... IF that is the biggest stuff your gona get into and it isnt going to be the normal cutting a 361 or the 357xp husky with a 20" bar would be my choice. maybe grab the cheapest small saw ya can find to clear the brush and if it lasts 4 years then replace it with whatever you can afford then, aka a larger saw for the big bucking if you end up doing more large trees than you expected or a hi quality small saw for the brush work. I prefer the Stihls but that is due to having a dealer local that treats me as well as my brother inlaw very very good! When i purchased the 361 pro I was actually leaning towards the 357XP but the dealer and service made the decision for me.

I will deff tell you that i have cut ALOT of 30" plus slabs with my 361 and the 20" bar. It deff takes longer than it would with the big saws most the guys on this forum have but my finances just dont afford dropping another grand on a saw. I sure wish they did :)

To add a little more to this.
A few years ago i bought an MS390 with a 20" and a 25", told the wife "This is the biggest saw I will ever need!" First tree I used that saw on I had to hire a guy in to stump it for me!! 72"x47" White Oak. I got that tree done and a member here built me a big bore woods ported 046, I kept the 25" and bought a 32" for it and sold the 390 and 20".
Now I LOVE that 046, but having a bad back, and pushing 40, I don't love running it all day anymore!! It hurts!
From what I am hearing and seeing from you, a 20", maybe a 25" (bars are a LOT cheaper than saws, remeber that!) will do all you have on the ground, and as this isn't the normal thing, you would still be set up to do the "big 'un" that comes along that we never seem to be ready for:monkey:
The 361 is a fine saw, don't missunderstand me, but I am for getting as much power as I can from the weight. And honestly, I couldn't tell a spittin' bit of difference between it and an 044 with 20"'s on both, other than the 044 pulled better!
I think the 357 is a little lighter, but it's more money yet:monkey:
So I think the race comes down to the 359 or the 361. The 359 can be made to run, but it's a little lathargic out of the box. Now many, myself included, don't care for molesting a saw thats still under waranty. If that bothers you, on't get the 359. Many are not comfortble doing a muffler mod, most here have done it, and will help out, but about all you need to know is already been said!! If you don't feel like doing that, get the 361.
If you don't mind tinkering, and playing with mechanical stuff, have some drill bits and a bit of time, buy the 359. If you think in the short future you might get ballsy and buy a dremel and attempt some porting, get the 359.
Otherwise, get the 361. Seriously, it's that easy in your case! If I would have upped the $100 and goten the 361 instead of the 390, I would probably still own the 361. Instead, I have a stable of wood eating beasts!

By the 044 would you mean a 441 now? As far as the Husky 359 im not afraid to do some engine work but the warranty part would bother me.

By the 044 would you mean a 441 now? As far as the Husky 359 im not afraid to do some engine work but the warranty part would bother me.

No, the 441 is a bird of a whole different feather! It's almost the same weight as the 460.
I mean the 044/ms440 that they don't make anymore. Which is why I am not recomending it.
Right, the one way to get around a muffler modded waranty claim, as long as you didn't lean sieze that saw by not richening it up, is having two mufflers. But of course I didn't suggest that:monkey:

Yeah I would get another muffler if I was doing that but you were talking about porting also. From some things I have read though I kinda am leaning towards the stihl but it might also come down to price whether I get the 359 or the 361 hopefully not.

Edit: Im going to call on a price for the 359 tomorrow if it not that much cheaper then a ms361 ill just get the 361.

Last edited:
No, the 441 is a bird of a whole different feather! It's almost the same weight as the 460.
I mean the 044/ms440 that they don't make anymore. Which is why I am not recomending it.

You are right about the 441 being a different saw, it's a strato and won't take mods/porting like the 440/460 will. But the 441 has all the power the 440 had and some more, 20" bars and it's with the 460, I could see the 460 pulling away very slightly with a longer bar. I just felt like adding this since I have had the chance to run all 3 saws mentioned.:D

I heard the 372xp has an inboard clutch hmm Im sure its out of my price range tho.

Last edited:
Yeah maybe later looks like a nice saw I think I have to go with the ms361 for now still lol.
Is there a good thread on here for proper break in procedure? I just want to be ready cause I might get 1 soon and will be wanting to use it right after the purchase. Also anything I should do to the saw b4 the first start up. What octane gas do you guys use also?

I think if I would of found this site b4 I bought my last expensive toy I might have 1 bad ass saw right now lol.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy I see you are from cincy also :). I wonder if the guys who fell the trees for me are on this site haha.

Im now a member of the MS361 club picked it up this morning. They had started it before I got there and now I can not get it started though. I took out the plug and cleaned it and everything still isnt starting. Has gas in it of course they had put some in it. What could be wrong I dont think they messed with the carb adjustments or anything.

Last edited:
It's more than likely flooded. Take the plug out, dry it and the cylinder with compressed air, if no comp air is near just leave the plug out for awhile. The 361's choke pop is hard to hear I think. Next time try pulling 2 times on choke, then move to fast throttle for 1 pull, it should fire. Try hard to listen for the pop when pulling on full choke...

Yeah I figured it was flooded why I dryed the plug guess I didnt leave it out long enough. Ill take it back out and blow out the cylinder this time. Thanks

Back