Help me decide on a new Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP, how much cutting do you REALLY think you will do? It sounds like you are on your way to CAD already, the splitter comment sent up a red flag for me!
I would say the "typical homeowner" will be happy with a Wildthing or a 455 (I HATE that saw BTW!!)
I typicly tell people that are "serious" to buy one size larger than needed.
You have just jumped in head first already!!!
The 361 is a nice saw, but after running an 044, then it, not all that impressed, at least for the weight.
I don't care much for the 359 in stock form, bu many here LOVE it with a muffler mod, easy to do.
I honestly thing my next firewood saw with be a 357xp, nice weight, good balance. I really like the Huskies in that size, they just feel good to me.
But a 24" is about as good as it will really run in hardwood and be happy in that class. Since all you are doing is bucking it up, the 20" should be fine!
Maybe watch ebay and get a blown up/worn out 359 and put a 357 cylinder and piston on it?
Just some ideas and opinions.

What is it they do to the muffler on the 359? Ill try to search for it.

Many good saws from both Husky and Stihl. Considering that you have a Husky dealer right down the road, then it would only make sense to buy a husky. I would say that the 359 would be the smart choice. Great farm/ranch type saw with some pro quality features thrown in. You'll get some feedback on muffler-modding if you choose to go that route. Everybody claims that it really "wakes the saw up" when done. Again, that dealer being right there is invaluable! Good luck and be safe.

If you're going to only have one saw, a ~12lb 60cc class machine with 4-4.5hp is the way to go.

If price is a factor, John Deere CS62 in the $400 range, Stihl MS-361 or Efco 181 (yeah, at 15lb the Efco is a bit heavy, but the price is amazing) in the $500-600 range, and if you're going over $600 it's got to be a PS-7900.

If weight really matters, maybe a 346xp or PS-5100s for $400-500.

Normally, I'd offer up the PS-420 to a newbie, but I don't know about hanging a 20" bar and skip chain on one of those to buck a 36" trunk. Could probably get one with 16" and 20" bar and chain for about $350, and it weighs less than anything else I've mentioned.

Here is some pictures I took of a few of the trees.
Trees001.jpg

Trees002.jpg

Trees003.jpg

Stress crack
Trees012.jpg

Cripes what a mess! You need a Mobark or bandit disk chipper not a chainsaw. If you are going to invest in a decent saw, take a look at the Makita dsc-6401. The site sponsor baileys sells them and I have seen them on ebay. Makita owns dolmar and the 6401 is a blue version of the dolmar 6400. Power to weight ratio stinks but it is built like a tank and will do everything you need it to do and then some. Great saw and a real bargain at the current price.

Yes it a mess alright I got alot of work to do before I get this yard in good shape. All of those trees except the dead one were really close to the house. Quite a few trees down here and there in the woods I want to get cut up also for firewood. I know someone with a splitter that would take some of the wood but I dont want to give to much of it away since I can use it.

Last edited:
after seeing the pics it looks like 372 and a 28" bar along with 20" bar might be the way to go. thought that is an almost 900 dollar investment

maybe even a 385husqvarna or the 066 stihl

I started with with an 036 pro then to a ms 460, Now I have an ms260 pro,
ms441, and an ms 660. Peronally If I were cutting up what you have on the ground there I would limb with my 441 and buck the trunks with the 660. My wife usually runs the 260 but I occasionally run it to cut up small to moderate limbs. I'm not telling you to go out and buy 3 saws ( I do some logging and cut 175+ cord of firewood a year) but if you plan on continuing to heat with wood I would definately spen a little extra on one of the pro saws. They are meant to be ran everyday so if you only use it occasionally it will last a long, long time. I bet that sounded great when those trees fell. Good luck and have fun:chainsaw:

3 saws would be ideal so I get what you are saying. Right now im thinking about the ms361 or the husky 357xp for the middle of the road saw to start out with then the others hopefully come with time. I also think your are right about getting a pro saw I like that they are lighter also and have some of the nicer features.

Wow not sure I can throw down 1 grand right now. I was quoted $619 for the 361 with a 20" bar from a near by Stihl dealer.
The Husky 357xp was a little higher around $669 or so I think forgot to save the txt file.

Last edited:
i have cut many a tree with a 360 and 20" bar and chain. in your situation and those big trees were the exception and not the rule for what you will be cutting i would go 361 ,muffler modded ofcourse. but if it were me bucking those logs on the landing .you'd here the old 066 screaming thru them.

MS361 with a 20 and some RSC chain, you'll be set.

Yeah, a 70cc saw would be better for those tress, but a 60cc saw (361) will do just fine and be better suited for the normal firewood cutting needs you'll have after you cut those up. I've got a big powerful and heavy pro saw. It was my only saw for a while. Now that I have others, it hardly ever gets out of its case. It was great for speed, but it'll wear you out before the job is done. So all that speed is wasted. For us part timers/firewood cutters, it's much better to cut a little slower with a lighter saw, get the job done almost as fast and not be wore the he!! out at the end of it.

As someone else said, watch the poison on that one tree if you're allergic. That stuff will mess you up! Don't touch it and especially don't cut it. It'll be on everything!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I called another shop that wanted even more for the 361 priced @ $669. I would love to be able to get it for around 575 atleast.

Latest posts

Back