Help me decide which splitter...Horizontal/Vertical or Horizontal w/Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genovet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to purchase a horizontal/vertical splitter or a horizontal only splitter with a log lift. Looking for pros/cons of both...thanks.

I haven't used a log lift design before, so I have no idea on how well they would do with a 36" slab of oak or hickory. I have a troy built 33ton 8hp Honda engine and after 5 years I can say its the best money I have ever spent for wood heat (cept the saws). I have done head to head splitting next to a 34ton swisher brand from Rurel King and my troy built made it look pathetic!!! The swisher was flexing the beam all over the place and the narrow wedge design just wasen't busting the big oak slabs we were doing. The guy ended up splitting most of the quarters I broke down and then I busted the rest the quarters he couldn't split. I deff can recommend the Troy Built. Last I looked it was $2100 on there web site and after truck freight it was another $150 if i remember correctly. Its one nice splitter!!!!!

I'm a horizontal guy...mine's positioned just off the tailgate and parallel to it...I drop the monsters right on the splitter. If the rounds aren't huge, I set the splitter so I make a 180 to the splitter.

Horizontal with lift, when you dont need the lift i put mine straight out and the kids stack the wood there that needs to be split for me. Kind of like a staging area. I have picked up 42" oak on mine and never had an issue.

I deff like the Horizontal position also when splitting. Here is my weird reasoning that many may not agree with... If the slab is 24" ballpark or anything smaller i can lift it and split it waist level on mine (yes a hyd lift arm would be awsome!) but anything lets say in the 12" area I would prefer not having to step around or on the lift. (again... I haven't used one so I may be way off base) Next thoughts are if you have a 30+" slab of hard wood does the lift handle that kinda weight? If it will lift it that's just that much more weight supported by the beam and tires etc. What I do is bust the bigger slabs into quarters and let them get built up then I go Horizontal and bust it down to size.

I guess what I am trying to say is it depends on what size wood your going to get into and most of all spend the money and get a good splitter or do some research and build a even better one that will do what you want it to the way you want it to. There is a picture post here of alotta diff splitters if you do a search for it. I am sure peeps will be more than willing to help ya with the hydraulic info if you choose to build one.

As far as store bought for home heating I still have to stand by my Troy Built.

lift

just a note the lift on my splitter is 550 lbs, when i had that big 42" oak on it yes i was alittle skeptical, but lifted and held the splitter on the ground just fine

Have you looked at the split second splitter? Similar to the super split, and like all kinetic splitters, multitudes of times faster than a hydraulic splitter.

I like horizontal. I am 6'-4" and would rather stand up than bend over or sit on a bucket - my personal preference. I do a little vertical splitting on very large pieces, but 95% horizontal. I have never used a lift, but it sounds easier than trying to get a 30" round lined up to the vertical split. If I had the budget I would have a horizontal with a lift.

I really depends person to person. Some say sitting on a bucket to a vertical is great. It's torture for me as well as a low horizontal splitter. Best thing I could suggest is to volunteer to help someone using the models/style you are thinking about. That way you can find out what works best for you by just giving a little time to find out. You may make a new friend as well!

When I was looking what I liked, log lifts seemed to be something to trip over or were in the way but it still would be better than vertical or 3 point. Ford or Chevy thing I guess.

I split about 90% of the time vertical. Large rounds are a lot easier to maneuver, split in half, push other half to side. I can't imagine splitting 30-40" rounds horizontal without being really awkward or have a large table built on. I don't mind rolling around in the dirt and snow, good back yet. I don't noodle many.

Brand wise, I built mine. Northtool has some nice ones. Timberwolf makes some really nice ones. What is your price range?

I'm a horizontal guy...mine's positioned just off the tailgate and parallel to it...I drop the monsters right on the splitter. If the rounds aren't huge, I set the splitter so I make a 180 to the splitter.

I personally went with the H/V.I do own both types though.The one big reason I went with the H/V is straight horiz. with a log lift would cost $800.00 to$1000.00 more than anH/V of equal tonnage.That's the ones I looked at-I didn't see them all.

Horizontal with lift, when you dont need the lift i put mine straight out and the kids stack the wood there that needs to be split for me. Kind of like a staging area. I have picked up 42" oak on mine and never had an issue.

I agree with everything he said here.

I've had both. There's no way I'd ever go back to a h/v. I went from dreading splitting, to enjoying it!

Horizontal without lift, where I cut wood is usually not close and usually by myself so if the rounds are to big can't put in the F350, therefore they are already broke down enough for my 6'2" self to put on splitter straight from the back of truck.

I prefer horizontal with the lift. I converted my h/v to just horizontal and added the lift. I also added a adjustable 4 way wedge. My dad and grandpa aske why I didn't build it 20 years ago.

I have had both and I can say I will never go back to a VH model. I love my horizontal splitter with the lift that I built. I usually split where the wood is cut, if I don't do that then I bring the rounds home in the dump trailer, if time allows I split from trailer, if not I just dump them and split from pile.
As stated previously, it's a matter of personal preference.

I love my vertical/horizontal iron and oak...for the big rounds I take one and use it as a chair and split away...the thing I don't like about horizontal only splitters is you have to pick up the large pieces after every split

I love my vertical/horizontal iron and oak...for the big rounds I take one and use it as a chair and split away...the thing I don't like about horizontal only splitters is you have to pick up the large pieces after every split

You only have to pick them up if you don't have an outfeed/production table. Along with the lift, a table is a must!

Back