Help me design my splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm wanting to build my first splitter, I've finally have more wood than I want to split by hand, but I plan to leave some rounds for anger management:) My question is I've been thinking of using an electric motor perferably wired for 220v, I have an old air compressor with a start and run motor on it I believe it is a 3hp, I would perfer to use this, would this be big enough, I know there is a difference between gas and electric outputs. Also would there be problem with duty cycle, I can see running this for several hours, I'm not wanting to get into overheating problems. Next question, how can I plumb this to run both (gas/elec. not at same time) Has anyone seen a setup where you could use one pump and be able switch...belt driven with pulley's??
As I'm at the begining stages of the thought process any input is greatly appreciated? Now I will return to reading the old posts.:chainsaw:

mga

wandering
i'd use a gas engine and design it as simple as possible.

the more you engineer it, the more complicated things become, and the more problems you'll have with it.

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Electricity is not a problem, I live at a farm that has three buildings that are over 100' long. It used to be a big steer and milking operation. My wood pile now is on a 2 acre concrete pad where 220v is not scarce, there was three silage auger feeders that all used electric motors. So I won't be limited to extension lengths. I would perfer using a electric first and gas second, (I'm thinking Green,LOL) If I can't do both that okay, I can always plumb it to the Bobcat when electricity is not avaliable when I'm in the field.

drmiller100

drmiller100

ArboristSite Guru
go for it.

motor needs to be 100 percent duty cycle, whcih most big compressor motors are. keep in mind that when compressing air, the motor is always working really hard, where with a splitter 90 percent of the time the motor is just loafing along.

to run two pumps with different power sources, just use a check valve on the outputs of both pumps so the other pump doesn't try to backfeed in.

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is some reading for you:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=53686
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66167

Is the motor on your air compressor 1700rpm or 3450rpm?

A quick update on my splitter, My motor died on me when splitting the other day. Just died with no warning. If I was to do it over (and I might need to) I'm going to use a 5hp motor.

Thats funny I found those posts last night after I posted. Do you have a overload switch that might have tripped on your motor maybe she got warm and tripped, and needs reset?? I have a 3450 motor, I forgot to look at duty cycle, it looked like you had a magnetic start switch on your setup? Does the electric side of it work good, or is a PITA. What type of pump do you use, GPM, stage?

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
go for it.

motor needs to be 100 percent duty cycle, whcih most big compressor motors are. keep in mind that when compressing air, the motor is always working really hard, where with a splitter 90 percent of the time the motor is just loafing along.

to run two pumps with different power sources, just use a check valve on the outputs of both pumps so the other pump doesn't try to backfeed in.

I'm just wanting to run one pump, with some type of setup where I can switch between drives, like a Belt and pulley system. I'm trying to budget build. But if I cannot then I will run the other side off of the Bobcat, but for sure I really want to have the electric to run primary with, as for most of my splitting is done at home and I hate to listen to a motor run for hours on end, my hearing already sucks:)

rx7145

rx7145

ArboristSite Guru
Thats funny I found those posts last night after I posted. Do you have a overload switch that might have tripped on your motor maybe she got warm and tripped, and needs reset?? I have a 3450 motor, I forgot to look at duty cycle, it looked like you had a magnetic start switch on your setup? Does the electric side of it work good, or is a PITA. What type of pump do you use, GPM, stage?

No the reset is ok. First thing I checked.

Not sure what you mean by magnetic start switch. The gray switchbox is just a 60amp double pole safety switch.

The pump is two stage 16gpm. Has about 75% of full power (the gas engine being full power). It does work good and I prefer to use it. I would not call it a PITA at all.

rx7145

rx7145

ArboristSite Guru
I'm just wanting to run one pump, with some type of setup where I can switch between drives, like a Belt and pulley system. I'm trying to budget build. But if I cannot then I will run the other side off of the Bobcat, but for sure I really want to have the electric to run primary with, as for most of my splitting is done at home and I hate to listen to a motor run for hours on end, my hearing already sucks:)

My system uses 3/4in check valves but ball valves could also be used. Check valves do make it easer to use but they do make heat....

If you get a 56C frame motor you can use a handy c-face mount that I did. makes it look nice. And it lined up right the first time.

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Whats the rpm and HP on the electric? Does it seem to have enough power or is it kinda lacking, I ask this because you said you were wanting a 5hp. I'm just wanting to know if a 3hp would be enough or should I start looking for bigger. Also, what your cylinder Bore and stroke? Thanks for the help:cheers:

rx7145

rx7145

ArboristSite Guru
Whats the rpm and HP on the electric? Does it seem to have enough power or is it kinda lacking, I ask this because you said you were wanting a 5hp. I'm just wanting to know if a 3hp would be enough or should I start looking for bigger. Also, what your cylinder Bore and stroke? Thanks for the help:cheers:

3450rpm 4hp. It's lacking that's why I want a 5hp. With the 4hp it will stall the motor on hard knotty pieces. 4x30in cylinder.

With 3hp I would go with a 11gpm pump.

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmmmm, maybe I'll look into ebay for another motor. I just reread your other post, that answered most of my questions. I see that you mentioned Grainger has alot of the parts, needed. How expensive is it to get the coupler system for the face mount? Would a 5hp gas motor be enough for a 16 gpm pump?

drmiller100

drmiller100

ArboristSite Guru

pump bearings do not like side loads. so, to hang a fan belt or something off it, you need a pair of pillow block bearings to take the side load, a shaft, lovejoy coupler or hang it off the shaft.

all doable, but takes work.

jags

ArboristSite Guru
Yep, the 2 stage pumps designed for log splitters don't like side pressure.

A rough figure is 2:1 for gas vs. electric. 8HP gas = 4hp electric (roughly). Of course other things figure in also, but that is kind of a rule of thumb.

rx7145

rx7145

ArboristSite Guru
Yep, the 2 stage pumps designed for log splitters don't like side pressure.

A rough figure is 2:1 for gas vs. electric. 8HP gas = 4hp electric (roughly). Of course other things figure in also, but that is kind of a rule of thumb.

Very roughly. I would use as big as you can get within reason. i.e. 3hp for 11gpm 5hp for 16, and 20hp for 22gpm.

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
pump bearings do not like side loads. so, to hang a fan belt or something off it, you need a pair of pillow block bearings to take the side load, a shaft, lovejoy coupler or hang it off the shaft.

all doable, but takes work.

So if I run a jack shaft with the pulleys can I over pulley the pump so it runs faster or should I keep the RPM the same as motor outputs...1:1 Ratio? What would be the affects of running the pump faster than the motor pulls, would it strain the motor when in hard use or wear the the pump out faster?

drmiller100

drmiller100

ArboristSite Guru
So if I run a jack shaft with the pulleys can I over pulley the pump so it runs faster or should I keep the RPM the same as motor outputs...1:1 Ratio? What would be the affects of running the pump faster than the motor pulls, would it strain the motor when in hard use or wear the the pump out faster?

to a point, if you don't have enough horsepower, you can spin it slower, ESPECIALLY wiht an electric motor.

belts are a pretty good solution. lots and lots of lawnmowers use them successfully.