Help me kill a tree....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan R Porter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Edited Post:I need to kill a honeysuckle...and my neighbor DOES know about it. I should have made that more clear earlier... I cut it down for her and this thing shoots up like madd. Someone told me to inject it with roundup....but how much? what mix ratio? where at? In the xylem, phloem? Any help would be appreciated. This thing is horrid!

Dan

Last edited:
If you don't want to do the work of pruning it, cut it to the ground and immediately dab the cuts with 50% roundup.

i have a client with several growing in the open; all I do is deadwood them.

Last edited:
Is Honeysuckle the thing with big thorns?

Most places you are allowed to prune back to the fence-line, but if it dis-figures the tree to the point where it de-values the home they are able to take civil action for the loss incurred.

Also same if the pruning kills the tree.

If you remove tresspassing parts including roots and the tree fails you can also be liable for that.

Get 2 bids, one for complete removal and one for a fence line prune then see if you can do a deal with her, pay the portion which would be the prune and she pays the balance to have the tree removed. If you cant agree on that then agree on the fence line prune.

If she wont agree to the fence line prune then you are in trouble coz she might get up ya for the stuff mentioned above. To cover your ass you might have to get an arb report on the value of the tree and a home valuation that hopefully will prove the value of her property to rise if the tree gets removed, you will also need some type of value if she's left with a half tree.

Can any mediators help you? Usually the local authority has some mediation which takes the heat off the situation.

Also, over here there is the Private Nuisance law, where if the tree is an ongoing nuisance which diminishes your enjoyment of your own property then she must remedy the situation or offer compensation. This is a powerful way, the lawyers are writing letters to neighbours to get trees cut down or pruned coz of leaf drop, shading etc and it's working.

So, many intelligent avenues to explore first before you poison that tree and start WWIII with her.

I'm lucky, I've cut down all my neibs trees that peeved me off except for the guy up the back who has banana bushes growing over the fence but above the gazebo roof, he just chops them down when I ask, good neibs are an asset.

So you want to kill the neighbors tree without them knowing about it because it hangs over your yard, and then you will have a dead tree hanging over your yard. :dizzy: that doesn't belong to you?
Why not contact the local ISA chapter that you belong to and give them your member number and ask the same question. :notrolls2:

Honeysuckle is either a vine or shrub, either is easy to trim back as far as the neighbor is agreeable with, or to the fence line. You won't kill it. OK, I'll edit my post as well....Roundup works fine. notch the cambium, apply it undiluted. If regrowth occurs, spray the leaves.

http://www.4to40.com/earth/geography/htm/plantsindex.asp?counter=183

Last edited:
That's a WHOLE different picture, Dan! Your original post made it sound like a vengance thing.

problem solved...

I'm not saying do it...but if a person were wanting to kill a tree on their neighbors property, ....
1.) apparently Salt works...5-10 lbs spread around the roots and watered in.

2.) Hyvar...don't even know if you can still get the stuff, but a friend of mine sprayed it on his gravel drive and it seeped dowhill about 15 ft to a rather large oak. The uphill side lost it's leaves in the middle of summer...he thought he had killed it. Imagine what it would do if you applied to the root sys w/ a more concentrated mix...

3.) build a small dam around the base of the tree, trap and re-locate a beaver to the water at the base of the tree...wait..oh yeah, and hope your neighbor doesn't notice.

4.) chainsaw...say it wasn't you...tell him you saw a 12 year old girl cut it down late on night and run home...

Oh, now that's a better picture ...

I use any glyphosate 360 product, mix it 250ml/1Lwater (1/4) and add a touch of dishwashing liquid which acts as a surfactant (makes it stick), spray it onto the stump on the outer sapwood ring immediately after you cut it.

Or, if you're cutting suckers, as soon as you cut them give them a squirt.

It's the phloem that does the work, it needs to be transported to the root system ... however some suckers which are already there need to be dealt with individually.

kill it

At the base of the honeysuckle, put some raw hamburger with any serious type of poison, plus some salmon and cover with chocolate. That'll kill it.
Wink wink.

Nice personality makeover.
Get a new spell checker?

Try pruing it heavily first. A good proper pruning on the heavy side might satisfy all parties. Then you may not need to kill it. Honeysuckle tree responds well to proper pruning, try that first, then if you still need to kill it, your job will be easier, because a third to half the foliage will aready be gone. Try it, you may like.

Latest posts

Back