Help Me pick a Bar/length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugaBoots

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently am thinking of filling a gap in my bars. I have a 18 on my 50cc, a 20 & 24 for my 60cc, when I get a 70 it will run my 24 that is on my 80cc, and will be picking up a 395 to run my 36".
I am thinking of getting something in the 28-32" range to be perminant on my 2186(same as 385xp).

What length would you run on this saw? What would balance well with this power head?

I do not run a saw for a living. However, I would not run a 24" on a 70cc in hardwood unless it was ported myself. I have a 20" sugi on my 440 and a 24" sugi on my 460. Both saws are ported.
Depends on the wood you cut. I think the mid 80cc saws are perfect with a 32". A 460 or 7900 works great with a 28" bar. Run full skip and you should be happy.
Why would you want a bar at practically every size increment? Seems like a lot of chains to inventory that way.

I run a 24/25" on my 044.

It seems to do alright, even with that 8 pin rim: evidently I've been dooing it Wong

I run a 32" full skip on my 385 and it works great. It's a little nose heavy but balances and handles fine.

Wood size I normally cut varies, most people I know who cut dont have any thing as big as I do(most dont go above 20") so I tend to get enough call for larger wood.

I have been thinking of getting a light weight bar, thinking maby a 30" tsumera. Think that would fit right in the middle of my current sizes, balance well, and be powered well enough.

I have a husky 390xp and use it for bigger oaks(24" to 38") ... handling a 24 to 28" 50/58 gauge 3/8 pitch full skip chain ... the 24" balances out the best, but the 28 is just a bit front heavy with not much problem after toting it around for a few hours!

Back