Help needed in Mendota Heights, MN BIG LOG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweepleader

Chainsaws and Fire Trucks, perfect.
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal, my daughter and her husband highered a guy off the street to cut down some trees. NO, I don't know why they did not ask me about it, they seem to just not want to imp0se. Anyway, the guy cut the trees they wanted gone but when the low ball bid was too low he quit and bailed leaving them with a mess. Most of it has been cleaned up but for 1 cotton wood log remaining. We spent today cutting left overs, the stuff we cut up today can be seen in the background of the last picture. The "small" pieces could just be moved by hand, we noodled some to make them manageable.

Its too big for me, even if I could cut it up, I have no way to split the rounds, or move them for that matter. They of course are out of money to pay a second time to finish the job and have been trying to come up with a solution.

Anyone out there willing to stop by their place and help? A big saw would be needed, you can see in the stump end picture that the feller did not have a big enough saw. That's me in the picture and I am 6 feet tall. The remaining log is a huge crotch.

How about a GTG for one log? They are very willing to feed any number of helpers and may be able to afford a tip.

A minimum of a big saw and a big splitter or some other solution is needed. They just don't have the money to pay what it should cost to do it right.

Thanks for looking, Dan.c1da601a-f019-40c7-bdf4-4f265ccfaa3d.jpg d8155b42-e9a2-4383-9bf8-a929181d6c00.jpg 527123ec-09c2-475b-b0ee-5e12e1d0f21d.jpg

How out of money are they? You could back a clam up to it and it would be gone in 30 minutes, tops. Pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be able to buck it up early next week, for some gas money and a chance to test up some gear.
No splitting or moving rounds though, just cut where it lays. Wet cottonwood not high on the desireable firewood sc ale.

I'll pm you later.
Although, I think spending some minimal $$ and having it all gone and cleaned up would be the better way to go.

I might be able to buck it up early next week, for some gas money and a chance to test up some gear.
No splitting or moving rounds though, just cut where it lays. Wet cottonwood not high on the desireable firewood sc ale.

I'll pm you later.
Although, I think spending some minimal $$ and having it all gone and cleaned up would be the better way to go.

Thanks for your offer. We are working on the hauling option, frankly we did not know what it would cost to have it picked up.
Yes, we don't admire the cottonwood for firewood, but if it is small enough we can make it go away without big expensive machinery.

If you buck and quarter the rounds you can probably do a CL ad for free firewood and someone will haul it away.
That is how virtually all the wood that is gone went. CL is hungry for free wood. It is the bucking part where that plan goes away. This log is very nearly 4 feet in diameter, biggest saw I have is 20 inches. Thanks for the thought though, something will work out.

That is how virtually all the wood that is gone went. CL is hungry for free wood. It is the bucking part where that plan goes away. This log is very nearly 4 feet in diameter, biggest saw I have is 20 inches. Thanks for the thought though, something will work out.
You know they are desperate when they take cottonwood...

Like I said if the rest is bucked and then noodled (ripped) into quarters the scroungers would happily take that away.

If you don't find anyone by June 5th I'll help you out as I know I'm going to my cabin that weekend and can bring the big saw home.

I'll pm you later.
Kevin where are you at? I see you have a decent post count, never knew you were from MN.

Well, thanks guys for all your offers, we are still waiting on a maybe truck to take it all at once. Don't know what that will cost or if the kids can afford it, hopefully we will hear in a day or two. Meanwhile, thanks again. Please don't think I have forgotten your kindness if this takes a little while to work out. I would rather they paid the bill if they can put it together, it will stick with them a little longer. I don't however think they really deserve to be totally wrecked by this so I thank you all again for your offers and hope you can bear with me.

West of mpls Mound
Did you use name mortalitool or something and built that nice 066 i saw at andy sarah ladt year?
You are thinking of a different guy. Mortalitool (Nick) is another member nearby.

I coach youth sports which prevents me from making most of the weekend saw events in the area. If you are going to Andy and Sarah's this July I should be there.

Thanks to all who offered help, a contractor was found who was willing to work out terms acceptable to the kids. Everyone was happy and the log is gone. Thanks for the suggestions which got us going in the right direction. You guys are the best.

Back