Help needed worried about pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi im new here,
Im looking for advice regarding the trees at a new house we have purchased.
The 4 pines are very close to the house 10-20ft,all have recieved construction damage.At least one has had its surface roots hacked to within 2ft on on one side(possibly they all have )
The largest is covered (literally all over )in holes(wood pecker?) a lot of which ouze sap.There are huge areas of white on the tree(sap?) the base is green with mould and there is a rotten area at base.This large tree has also had and been treated for a vertical type pine beetle 2 months ago.
Because of closeness to house and to neighbours houses id like to know if the large tree particularly is dangerous as this seems the most damaged.any help greatly appreciated

All the pines usually have very strong anchor root(s). So, the some damage of surface roots is not dangerous.
I´m not local and can be mistaken, but the bark and foliage remembers yellow pine, which should have a strong rooting system :)
As long as tree is alive and wood not decay, the insects-borers cant cause trunk breakdown (IMO)

Decay will be an issue in all wounded tissue. the trees should be looked at by a qualified arborist. Damaged roots should be bark-traced or pruned. the holes are sapsucker damage; they're attracted to stressed trees. for them hang suet feeders or inflated owls.

Flat out...I'd have those trees removed, starting with the small ones and finishing with the big trees. Replant with ...superior species that are known to be relatively trouble free, sturdy and long lived. Every Pine that I see in your photo is a mess in the waiting. Here is one of my Pines that came down from high winds of tropical storm Katrina. It appeared healthy at a glance but under that pine straw at the base of this tree lurked disease. These pines, Loblolly and others are, as you made reference to, subject to decline due to the beetles but are also prone to failures due to ice and wind. With the construction damage to yours they are more likely to fail.

Thankyou,
I appreciate all the advice that has been offered.I am contacting an arborist and will get them to check the trees,hopefully a letter from them stating that the trees are dangerous will convince our neighbourhood company to give us permission for their removal.
Much appreciated.
Anyone know what i should expect to pay for this diagnosis and letter?

Just to add my two cents,Pines DO fall all the time around here when the soil is saturated and the wind blows hard.
That is perfectly healthy good pines.
I would hate to see what this mans pines that are damaged by construction,
have had borers eating them from the inside out
and have rot and decay at the base
could do in a tiny storm!

Just my apologies why Im talking about roots :)
Thats rule, on swamped soil all kinds of trees are susceptible for the wind falling due to the unability of them rise roots deeper than level where groundwater is standing. From the pics is seen that this is not the case there?
Here is the rule, pine can break, not to fall with roots, if it is not rising in swamp. However, here is only pinus sylvestris the single species which is rising in nature :)
On some warm and aerated soils it is prone to root rot, which can cause its falling too.

Also, pines do not necessarily put down a strong tap as widely believed. Many of the pines in South Louisiana failed at the root ball during Katrina because the clay soil was too tight to allow a strong tap root. If you need them, I can get you pictures of uprooted loblollys with hardly any taproot at all.

Congratulations on your decision to get an opinion from an arborist. He or she should know what to look for. It can be more complicated that what you can see from the surface.

under that pine straw at the base of this tree lurked disease."

Your arborist should look closely at the belowground portion of the plant. An assessment and letter should cost maybe $1-200 if it has the detail you need.

Check credentials and see that options for mitigation are detailed as well. See the Treatment paper in the link below. Here in NC pines are dominant; I've seen many survive hurricanes and bulldozers if they are managed with care.

Nothin could be finer than to see a big tall pine here in the moorrrning...

Elmore you are SO cut-happy. Why not instead advocate for the installation of some companion plants? Enlarge the natural area, add hardwood trees and shrubs, grow a healthier and more valuable landscape.

Until proven otherwise, I'd consider the pines the backbone of the landscape, not as broken, gangrenous legs.

pinus you are right; root injuries seal and avoid decay quite well.

I Know That If The Pine Was On My Land. I Would Do Ever Thing To Pro-long Its Life. I Have Sick Spruce, Neat My Home The Only Time I Will Remove It Is When Its Really Dead. Your Trees Look In Not So Bad Health. Have Them Check Because Once They Gone Its Takes Years Before You Will Even Have Anything That Look As Good.

I like also emphasize that if you are not living in the forest (like I live :) ), then it is reasonable to think 9 times before cut-down some tree. Especially important are preserve evergreen trees like pines are too, which give warm feeling all the year and are ornamentals of landscape :)

treeseer said:
Nothin could be finer than to see a big tall pine crashing through your bedroom ceiling in the moorrrning...

Elmore you are SO cut-happy. Why not instead advocate for the installation of some companion plants? Enlarge the natural area, add hardwood trees and shrubs, grow a healthier and more valuable landscape.
Yeah Guy...it may seem that I am cut-happy but to me it is all about management...control of your environment...to a degree. If those pine were out in an open area I would not be as much an advocate for their removal but as I can see from the picture they are very close to homes in small lots. These pine are also too close to each other and the largest tree shows signs of a serous discharge of exudate. That is not good. From what I can tell, there is not much room for an enlargement of a natural area. I advocate removing these trees and installing sturdier species. If a conifer is desired a Pond Cypress would be a good choice. Many people still consider Ginkgo biloba a conifer...heh heh. :)

Elmore said:
Yeah Guy...it may seem that I am cut-happy but to me it is all about management...control of your environment...to a degree. If those pine were out in an open area I would not be as much an advocate for their removal but as I can see from the picture they are very close to homes in small lots. These pine are also too close to each other and the largest tree shows signs of a serous discharge of exudate. That is not good. From what I can tell, there is not much room for an enlargement of a natural area. I advocate removing these trees and installing sturdier species. If a conifer is desired a Pond Cypress would be a good choice. Many people still consider Ginkgo biloba a conifer...heh heh. :)
For me it is mystery, why to remove small ones :dizzy:

pinus said:
For me it is mystery, why to remove small ones :dizzy:
To keep them from becoming a big problem. They are too close to each other. Better to plant one good tree than to have a cluster of possibly problematic trees. Remove them while they are small and there is less clean up. These trees look like " old field pine". Not a choice ornamental in my book. They are good for making toilet paper though.

Elmore said:
To keep them from becoming a big problem. They are too close to each other. Better to plant one good tree than to have a cluster of possibly problematic trees. Remove them while they are small and there is less clean up. These trees look like " old field pine". Not a choice ornamental in my book. They are good for making toilet paper though.

This is one viewpoint that evry tree should look like a "christmas tree". :)
The smallest one will growup to the quite normal tree, if it will get light.
The problems with it, if at all, will began may be after 20-30 years, and may be something changet for this time :)

pinus said:
This is one viewpoint that evry tree should look like a "christmas tree". :) :)
this viewpoint seems to come from a deep evolutionary link to the savannah, where Homo sapiens left the trees. The forest is a more diverse and healthy arrangement, with its continuous canopy.

Elmore, trees in a grove help each other stand strong; the concept of asymmetry does not apply to individual trees in a grove, which can grow close to each other just fine.

"the largest tree shows signs of a serous discharge of exudate. That is not good." Pines exuding pitch from physical injuries, which that appears to be, IS a good thing. It is natural sealant; it compartmentalizes the wound and protects the wood.

"Have Them Check Because Once They Gone Its Takes Years Before You Will Even Have Anything That Look As Good."
Duffer's got it right, managing today's trees for today's people. Elmore, your program will not deliver a tree until we are too old or dead to enjoy it. I think it is great that you advocate grafting and planting but there is plenty of room for that without removing trees that are not shown to be unsound.

barnred said:
Hi im new here,
Im looking for advice regarding the trees at a new house we have purchased.
The 4 pines are very close to the house 10-20ft,all have recieved construction damage.At least one has had its surface roots hacked to within 2ft on on one side(possibly they all have )
The largest is covered (literally all over )in holes(wood pecker?) a lot of which ouze sap.There are huge areas of white on the tree(sap?) the base is green with mould and there is a rotten area at base.This large tree has also had and been treated for a vertical type pine beetle 2 months ago.
Because of closeness to house and to neighbours houses id like to know if the large tree particularly is dangerous as this seems the most damaged.any help greatly appreciated
This sounds like a nightmare and in my opinion they look like crap. If they were mine, the likelihood of a failure would mandate removal. A controlled removal would be preferred to the damage that can result from a compromised tree coming down on your property. These potentially large pines are too close to the homes. I have had and continue to have some problems with pines. I may soon start a thread dealing with one of my pines. Perhaps I can get some good advice from my fellow AS members. Hearing the snap of pine limbs during an ice storm here in the North Alabama hills would make you think twice about cultivating a large pine so near your home. As for appearance, if I wanted a quick replacement I might consider a Dawn Redwood. Once established they form a good sized tree in short order.

Elmore said:
I may soon start a thread dealing with one of my pines. Perhaps I can get some good advice from my fellow AS members. Hearing the snap of pine limbs during an ice storm make you think twice about cultivating a large pine so near your home. As for appearance, if I wanted a quick replacement I might consider a Dawn Redwood. Once established they form a good sized tree in short order.
Please do start that thread, with useful pics; the 3 pics you posted of a pine on its side did not show much about its demise. Photo the broken, compromised area.

Yes snapping noises are scary, but pruning can make ice breakage far less likely. Metasequoia are fine trees but do not grow that fast after they hit their teens: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Metasequoia+glyptostroboides

If the owners get info on hazard and decide they do not like the pines, they should be compensated for their loss. Root damage to 2' from the trunk shows utter carelessness. The owner(s) would be well advised to uncover all surface root damage before the arborist arrives. If they cannot be compensated by the builder/destroyer, removal and replanting is a less attractive alternative.

Opinions based on a couple of pictures are not that useful. Let us know what the arborist says, ok?

Latest posts

Back