*Help Needed*

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

333.okh

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since I was on here. Life got crazy, got a new job....blah blah...

I still have that old Stihl 048 powerhead and I want to put it on a little 20 inch Alaskan Mill...

Do I just get a 20 inch bar for an 042 and what ripping chain for
the mill.

I am milling redwood, big-leaf maple, Douglas-fir, Incense cedar, and a little pine. I want this to be very portable and I saw a guy on the net cutting from both sides with one of these to get up to 36 inch wide slabs. I imagine it is a rougher cut, but good to drag down a hill etc.

Last edited:
Been a long time since I was on here. Life got crazy, got a new job....blah blah...

I still have that old Stihl 048 powerhead and I want to put it on a little 20 inch Alaskan Mill...

Do I just get a 20 inch bar for an 042 and what ripping chain for
the mill.

I am milling redwood, big-leaf maple, Douglas-fir, Incense cedar, and a little pine. I want this to be very portable and I saw a guy on the net cutting from both sides with one of these to get up to 36 inch wide slabs. I imagine it is a rougher cut, but good to drag down a hill etc.

OKH,

I know which mill you are speaking of, but I would get at least a 24" bar. I don't think you can buy pre-made milling chain. Our local lawn mower shop makes them if someone needs one. I make my own, so I just by a 25' spool when I need it.

jerry-

probably a lot since one is aluminum and the other is steel, but I am rough on equip so steel is a good choice for me.

Latest posts

Back