Help On a Husky 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazermule

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was out cutting this past weekend and my Husky had some issues and I am a bit stumped. It is an older Rancher 61 "Practica".

It has always ran great until this weekend. What was happening was it would start to bog out on the top end, first in the cut and then even out of the cut. Pretty soon, all it would do is idle and given any gas, it would just kill. Eventually it wouldn't even start and this has always been a 1-2 pull saw even after sitting on the shelf for months. Pulled off the top cover and took off the air cleaner and all looked fine. Checked spark and was good and strong. Checked the compression and it had 150 psi. Dumped a thimble of gas in the carb and it still wouldn't start. Pulled the plug again and dumped a thimble of gas in the cylinder, reinstalled the plug and it still wouldn't fire. pulled the plug again and pulled it over to dry things back out. Took my lighter to the plug and cleaned it up a bit and then reinstalled it. This time it started up on the 2nd pull revved up well, so I took it back to the pile and started to cut only to have it start the same behavior all over again.

The only thing I chaned was my premix oil. I went from Klotz R50 to Amzoil Synthetic.

Kind of has me stumped, any ideas?:bang:

Lazer

Last edited:
Check your filter, fuel line and screen

What are you running for a mix ratio on the amsoil?

Changing oils like that can sometimes have the fuel mix clean out any crud from inside the fuel line and filter and it goes to the screen that is under the fuel pump diaphragm.

This is more common when running some Synthetics in higher ratios than necessary

Lazer, I send you a PM. My instincts say vapor lock or corb contamination. Pop the muffler, though, and have a peek.

I know you're just using what you have available, but milling is going to put a lot of strain on your 61. Most would say that 75 or 80cc is a minimum for milling. When you buy your new saw, go for a 660 or a 395, you'll be very pleased with the improvement.

I have a Husqvarna 44 rancher "Practica" that just died on me. It was having similiar symptoms. I thought for the longest time it was the carb. It turned out to be the ignition. The electronic magneto would get warm and quit. Let it cool down and it would start again. The way I found out, I would run it till it quit, then quickly pop the plug and check for spark before it could cool down. Another thing on mine that didn't help. The way the air intake for the engine cooling air comes in, inside the plastic cowl cover was all plugged up. So the engine was also running hot. It looks to me like the crap plugging it up also killed cooling air to the magneto. My own stupid fault. I really love that saw, but I'm not going to fork over $96 for a new part. Interestingly, the bar and chains should work on a new 340-350 saw when I get one. Hopefully yours is a fixable carb problem.

Thanks for the replies. I am mixing the Amzoil 40:1.

I am only doing light milling, not day in and day out.

Lazer

Were you milling when it quit?

I know my eyes are getting bad but I still don't see where you mentioned milling in your original post

And did you check the spark while the saw was still warm or after it had cooled down a bit?

The Amsoil is the 100 to 1 recommended mix synthetic correct?

From my 2c worth, it's the diaphram operating the needle in the carb. It's gone hard and needs renewing. Had this before with a number of saws. Allows enough fuel thru to run without a load but thats all.

Last edited:
Yes, I did check the spark when it was hot. I'm not sure if the Amzoil container says 100:1 or not. That seems really lean and I'd have a real hard time bringing my self to mix it that lean.

I wasn't doing much milling just squaring off a log for a mantle piece. I was running at 3/4 to full throttle taking it easy on the saw making sure it wasn't overheating. I was using the "Lumber Maker" attachment from Harbor Freight (Junk). Anyway, I finished up the job with my 40cc Poulan.:taped:

I was milling when it acted up the first time, but I went back to just sawing logs after I got it running again and that is when it quit.

LAZER

I was not suggesting using it at the 100 to 1 for hard use
I just commented that using too much of some synthetics can cause various unusual quirks

I would bet a carb rebuild kit with a change of screen and new fuel line and filter would solve your problem.

I would suggest running around 70 to 1 with the Amsoil with maybe just a tad more if milling

40 to 1 is way too much

When the Amsoil synthetic first came out I had a guy up here that not thinking was mixing 1 ounce to one gallon on a Husky 41

It wore out the crank bearings after three years of normal use but nothing else failed The piston wrist pin and big end looked like new.

I pointed out that 128 to 1 was just a bit too low an oil mix ratio

The saw still ran great when it brought it in and the seals were tight
He just started it and ran it and it squealed like an electric motor with dry bearings

Thanks for the info. 128:1 WOW!

The compression test was done when it was hot. Or hottish I guess.... If it wont start I can't get it hot...anymore

Saber Professional is the correct Amsoil synthetic for air cooled premix applications. And it is 100 to 1 capable

They do have a warranty that covers repair or replacement of any engine if the oil causes damage in any approved application.

I got it figured out...

Well, I took the morning and tore down the Husky. Pulled the muffler checked the piston and ring and all looked good. Pulled the carb, took it apart and gave it a through cleaning and all looked good, but I never touched any of the mixture settings. Pulled the tank, pulled out the fuel feed line and replaced the filter, and cleaned out the tank (there was a fair amount of sawdust residue in there but nothing real alarming). I had replaced the tank with a new one when I got the saw a couple of years ago due to it sitting for some time and being REALLY gummed up. Checked all of the electronic connections (someone at some time had replaced the ignition as I could see that there were sone non-stock connections, but all looked good). I checked all of the wire routing to make sure there were no rubs in the insulation and all looked good. Gave a through cleaning to the fan shroud area and recoil. Cleaned the air filter with come carb cleaner and blew it out.

Everything checked out good so I reassembled the saw. I installed a new autolite iridium spark plug as well. Now for the moment of truth, choke on 1st pull it fired, 2nd pull choke now off and it fired right up and idled perfectly. I let it idle for 30 seconds or so and gave her a bump on the trigger and it still hesitated and wouldn't rev and instead bogged out and killed. Restarted and again idled fine, figured it would have idled all day just fine. Gave it 1/2 turn enrichment on the high side and now it runs like a top. Yep, I feel pretty stupid as it seems like that was the problem the whole time. My only question is, would changing from Klotz to Amzoil make the saw want that much more fuel?

A question on the high side tune, I took it out to the log pile and stuck it in a log and leaned it back until it seemed like I was hitting the highest rpm. Is this correct? Or should I give it a bump to the rich side and drop the rpm a bit?

Possible plans for this saw now that it is running well again: I saw that the muffler looked like a pretty easy mod to add another outlet or two on the left side. Should I create more holes in the internal baffle plate as well? Also, I was thinking about cleaning up / widening the ports a bit as well. Any thoughts on this? Is there much to be gained with these mods? This saw needs a new bar and I'd like to bump it up to a 20" bar (currently has an 18") and would like it to perform well with the bigger bar. I have some large oaks I need to take down soon and the 20" would help greatly. I have had my eye on a new 372 with a 24" bar and would like to go just buy that, but the wife doesn't quite see it that way so this Husky 61 that I got for free from the neighbor and my old Wildthing will have to do for now.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me as I really appreciate it. Take a look at my recent questions here and see if you can add anything. And yes, I feel kind of dumb after finding out what my original issue was. If I told you what I do for a living, you probably get a good laugh out of it as I SHOULD know better. Oh, well I can't say this is the first time this sort of thing has happened to me and probably won't be the last.

LAZER

Last edited:
It will handle a 20" bar well.As for the muffler I would just remove all that epa junk and mod but I'm not sure how much of a gain that will be.

[QUOTE=lazermule

A question on the high side tune, I took it out to the log pile and stuck it in a log and leaned it back until it seemed like I was hitting the highest rpm. Is this correct? Or should I give it a bump to the rich side and drop the rpm a bit?

Keep it close to "bubbling" while cutting,not too lean to avoid seizure because cutting large wood,the engine becomes quite hot.

You should get to where your getting the highest rpms then give an 1/8 turn on the high side.

Latest posts

Back