Help on my first "Real" Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoJon

Reaction score
First of I would like to say Hello to all of the Aboristsite members. :D
I have been reading a lot of threads and gaining tons of knowledge from you. Thanks:cheers:

My question is this, I am going to buy a new saw for cutting firewood. I currently have a newer Homelite, 45cc, 18" bar (Home Depot Special) I bought it without really doing any research and now realize that wasn't to smart :bang: . I only cut softwoods mainly Douglas Fir and Western Larch mixed with some pine. I put up 10+ cords a year. I would like to be able to cut some decent size wood up to 24"-30" . I don't know how many times I have had to pass on some really nice wood due to knowing my saw would not handle it. I have been considering the Stihl MS361 or Husky 357xp. A friend at work who cuts a lot of firewood every year thinks I really should go with a bigger saw like a 440 or 375xp (he has a 371). I kind of think that may be overkill but I definitely want to have plenty of power to get through some of the bigger wood without having to overwork the saw. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance...

Your Friend is correct. I would not go with less than that and maybe even consider the 660 for a few more bucks. You will not regret it.

Rotax Robert

Welcome aboard!

For the sort of use you're contemplating, I'd aim for a 440, 441 or 460, frankly. The 361 is a very fine saw and could get the job done, but the others will get it done faster and with less stress on the saw. 660 would make fast work of pretty much anything you set your mind to cutting, though the power may be excessive for the task and the weight may become tiresome depending on your build and how/where you intend to use the saw.

If money is a big issue, a lightly-used 440 might be the way to go.

And once you've got your "real" saw, and assuming that your HomeDepot Homelite is still working satisfactorily, slap a short bar on that saw and use it for limbing and trimming. For all the smack that we talk about the current crop of Homelite saws, with proper care and reasonable expectations they can do a decent job as a limber, backup saw, or loaner.

30" firewood?! Wow! I'd say Stihl 460 (which I DO have experience with) or Dolmar 7900 which gets rave reviews here. My next saw saw will be the 7900...that is if they don't get way popular and the price gets hiked.

My latest firewood saw is a new 361 with a 24" bar. It's been great, but I would want something bigger for what you're talking about

litefoot, 30" firewood is not that uncommon in the northwest and depending on how much of it he gets the 660 would be best suited for the large wood in 24 to 30+ range even though all the saws mentioned, of which I own each except for the 7900 will do the job.

Rotax

computeruser said:
Welcome aboard!

For the sort of use you're contemplating, I'd aim for a 440, 441 or 460, frankly. The 361 is a very fine saw and could get the job done, but the others will get it done faster and with less stress on the saw. 660 would make fast work of pretty much anything you set your mind to cutting, though the power may be excessive for the task and the weight may become tiresome depending on your build and how/where you intend to use the saw.

If money is a big issue, a lightly-used 440 might be the way to go.

And once you've got your "real" saw, and assuming that your HomeDepot Homelite is still working satisfactorily, slap a short bar on that saw and use it for limbing and trimming. For all the smack that we talk about the current crop of Homelite saws, with proper care and reasonable expectations they can do a decent job as a limber, backup saw, or loaner.

Good post. Could not agree more.

Welcome to AS.

If your cutting 10+ cords of wood a year I would have two good saws, one 70cc or bigger and a 50+cc saw, but seeing as you have a small Homelite I must agree with computeruser, get yourself a nice bigger saw and use that Homelite until it dies. I will recommend The Dolmar PS7900-4.5 kW-6.3HP-13.6lbs. If you Don't go with the Dolmar my second choice would be the Stihl MS460.

Have fun Andy.

I think that you need to give serious consideration to how much of the really big wood you will be cutting and what the average sized wood will be. The 660 will do everything you want to do, but with a high price tag and extra weight. If you expect to be cutting a lot of big wood it may be the way to go. If you will be only be occasionally cutting large wood, then you may want to buy a saw targeted at the wood size you will cut most, I would look at the 460 or the 7900. Put a big bar on with skip chain for the big wood and use a smaller bar for the bulk of your cutting. If budget is not a concern, then get a 5100, a 7900 and the 660, but that is a lot of money to tie up in saws. Once you run any of the saws mentioned in this thread, you may find that you want to upgrade your small saw as well.

Jim

Andyshine77 said:
If your cutting 10+ cords of wood a year I would have two good saws, one 70cc or bigger and a 50+cc saw, but seeing as you have a small Homelite I must agree with computeruser, get yourself a nice bigger saw and use that Homelite until it dies. I will recommend The Dolmar PS7900-4.5 kW-6.3HP-13.6lbs. If you Don't go with the Dolmar my second choice would be the Stihl MS460.

Have fun Andy.
I totally agree!

I have a MS361 that totally cover my needs in my wood, but I would want something larger if a large portion of the wood was over 20"...

saw

Where did all the Husky fans go?What about the 372xp?(old reliable)It's fairly light for what it is,5+ HP No cat converter.Still available on Bailey's

I agree with most post here. I own a 044 (MS440) and I reach for it all the time. I have a 25" bar on it and have had it buried in ash, hedge, walnut, and other hard woods and it walks right through it. I really like that saw and can only imagine what a 460 or 660 would do. To me the weight of the 044 isn't a problem either. I would keep the homie for limbing but as others have said you will probably buy another saw to complement your big one.:D I bought mine for $125 at a pawn shop lightly used. I know that that is a once in a lifetime deal but I have seen them for $400 and under in good shape.

Last edited:
314epw said:
Where did all the Husky fans go?What about the 372xp?(old reliable)It's fairly light for what it is,5+ HP No cat converter.Still available on Bailey's

second that, husky is great saw :p

Rotax Robert said:
litefoot, 30" firewood is not that uncommon in the northwest and depending on how much of it he gets the 660 would be best suited for the large wood in 24 to 30+ range even though all the saws mentioned, of which I own each except for the 7900 will do the job.

Rotax

Depending on how much time I have (and weather conditions), I either buck the firewood on site or cut it to 7' lengths and buck it when I get home. But 30" firewood? I'd definitely have to buck it there on the mountain. So that would require more saw time in the poorer conditions...and I, for one, would want a lighter saw than a 660. That's just me, of course.

Take it from someone who bought a 55cc saw (455 Rancher good saw for the money, but I am currently looking for a bigger saw) In your case I would go no smaller that the Husky 359 or stihl 390. If you can find one a husky 365 is a great saw great power to weight ratio plus you could use some bigger bars on it 24 maybe 26 inch in soft wood.

It all depends on what you want to spend, a good 55 to 60 cc saw will run a 20 inch bar in softwood easy and you can get the saw for less than $500 new and maybe $300 littlely used.

Best of luck

I love my 394XP, but it is heavy!! Weight is a big factor if you're using your saw a lot, which you are if you cut up 10 cords a year!!!! I forget how fast softwood burns. I prefer black locust over everything else. I'd take a serious look at the Dolmar 7900. It is a full 2 lbs lighter than anything in its class, and is a good bit cheaper. Once I get the dough, it'll probably be my next saw.

welcome, wow that is some large wood. I think you would be best going with the 460 in my opinion, although I have been putting a lot of time on my 441 since purchasing it a few months back. Take the advise given here because these people do know what they are talking about.
Good luck,
Robert

Which Saw

372xp or MS460...

or...

Buy the ms361 or 357xp and get a Woods Mod.
make sure you buy the $30 Stihl DP muffler cover for the 460, it does make a difference!

Thanks for all the great responses. I definitely came to the right place.:clap:

From what I have learned I have narrowed my options down to the MS460, or the 575xp or 372 if I can find one. What I have read by doing some searches of old posts it seems that the 575 has mixed reviews, but overall pretty good. The one complaint that concerns me is the hard starting/cold blooded aspect. which is funny because my friend from work said to buy the husky with one of the reasons was they are easier to start than the Stihl.:confused: I really think its kind of a coin flip at this point on which one to get. I think I will just go out and phyically pick up each one and buy the one that feels right to me in my hands.....unless there is a strong reason that someone can point out to go one way or the other? Thanks for all your help.

IdahoJon said:
Thanks for all the great responses. I definitely came to the right place.:clap:

The one complaint that concerns me is the hard starting/cold blooded aspect. which is funny because my friend from work said to buy the husky with one of the reasons was they are easier to start than the Stihl.:confused:

Perhaps the cold-natured design is due to tuning, not the saws themselves. Cold air holds more oxygen than warm air.

As to starting, I've never started a 460. The 372 DOES have a decompression valve, though. I believe that the stihl does as well, but I think its a new feature. I believe that all the 372's, and 272's as well had them.

HTH.

Latest posts

Back