Help! One saw to fit my needs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonsered 2255 (or the Husky equivalent, like the angled recoil better). Go rent a big saw when you need it for the occasional big stuff. That's what rental companies are for.

I'm all in with the 60cc of your choice. You either need a really high end 50cc saw with lots of power or a 60cc that will do it all. You can get 2 bars for a 60cc and then bar up or down depending on the job (maybe 16 & 24 inch combo?). It's also nice to have a spare bar to cut yourself out if you happen to get pinched or jammed.

555 husky
361 Stihl
6400/6401 Dolmar/Makita

Even a used stihl 360/036 in great shape would do you just fine if you aren't afraid to find one used.

I see it a little different than others here. You don't need a pro saw. You don't sound like you are on a time scedule so the top speed and minimal weight are not so much of a concern. Any of the farmer/semi pro models is going to do all you ask for and last with minimal maintanece a very long time. If you are thinking about a 2 saw plan the 40 & 60 cc combo is very good for a fellow with your needs. A single saw plan would, in my eyes begin at 40 cc but end at max 60cc. You can check out the farmer/semi pro models of all the major manufactureres (echo, efco, dolmar, hitachi, husqvarna, stihl) and find something that will fit into your budget very nicely.

Maintanece is going to be much more important for you as an occasional user. Emptying out the 2 stroke mix and letting the saw idle to a stop would be a good idea to keep the inside clean and the 2 stroke mix fresh. No need to worry about surviving >10 years with a farmer/semi pro model with maintanence.

Some of these models benefit very much from a muffler mod and retune, so you should do a search here.

I have had good experience with dolmar. I see the dolmar 421 as the minimum side you would be happy with. Of course the occasional 24 inch pine is not going to be fun but the rest will be ok. Others I have read here have had good experience with Echo(they need a retune direct out of the box). These companies can usually be had for less coin than the major players.

Do yourself a favor and also calculate ppe(=personal protection equipement = chaps, eye&ear protection, steel toed boots, helmet) into your spending plan. Especially if you intend to do some trail maintenence. Would be a shame to stop the bleeding of a ripped up leg out in the middle of nowhere and having to get back to civilization somehow because you can't use the pedals of you transport.

Good luck,

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and also calculate ppe(=personal protection equipement = chaps, eye&ear protection, steel toed boots, helmet) into your spending plan.

Fantastic point. :clap:

Doing the math will make you cringe but it's necessary. To spend less than $500-600 on a saw + ppe + nick nacks you'll need a good used saw (which is not a bad thing). Factor in a New Pro saw and you're nipping on the heels of a grand.

Put pen to paper and see what you want to spend. Calculate PPE and saw maintenance items and see what's left over :popcorn:

I will be the blacksheep and suggest you cannot "comfortably" accomplish all your goals with one saw. The reason I say this is I have a similar situation. I maintain the roads,hunting stands,feeders and trails on a 200 acre hunting ranch. For trim work, I want a light saw, easy to maneuver from the bed of a truck/or kawasaki mule and I rarely need a bar length over 14". A Stihl 017 does this work admirably. I have the occasional need for a larger saw to cut a cord of firewood or cut up a storm fallen oak, sometimes in excess of 20". My MS290 w/ 20" bar handles this fine. I would not consider either saw the right tool for the other work task. I know this not what you want, and I am not advocating you aquire "chainsaw addiction disease", but everyone does not need a pro grade 60-70 cc saw. Let the stoning begin !:buttkick:

Good grief that is like 3 saw plan requirement!
- 550xp would do everything you want

Absolutely! The 60 - 70cc recommendations are absurd. I've used my old top handle with a 14" bar on a 20+" white pine when doing trail work. It wasn't the fastest and it took every inch of the bar, but when you only have to make two or three cuts to clear the trail, who cares?

Is a full pro saw really needed? Probably not, but the Husky 550xp and Stihl Ms261 would cover all his bases. The Husky 545 would as well for a bit less cash.

Truthfully, a Husky 450 or 455 would do all he needs for the best price and should last years with proper maintenance.

The only thing that concerns me is riding in the box of a UTV all the time, definitely a good idea to have it cased and to use canned fuel in it any time it's going to sit for weeks without use.

Wables,
Since you only occasionally need to cut bigger stuff, a 50cc like the 550XP, 346XP, MS261, or 026/MS260 with 16"-18" should suit your purpose admirably.

Buy a good saw once and you won't regret the $ spent.

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses! I think I have narrowed my search to a 50 cc class saw. I will be checking out the models recommended here this week. Thus far I have really only checked out the Stihl line-up. I appreciate some of the side comments/advice as well. I have been burned several times by old gas in the past, and I do not let myself fall into that trap any more. I will also be picking up a pair of chaps, and I already have the other PPE.

While it would be nice to have a "big" saw, I have access to a Jonsered 2165 when I need it, and it could be used for cutting up the big pines if necessary. I just need this saw to get the trail open. I had to do this last year with a 40 cc saw. I have used the Jonsered enough to know that I don't want or need a saw that big.

As far as a budget, I was originally hoping to spend about $400 for the saw, spare B&C, and extra maintenance items (MS250). However, I am not opposed to spending a couple more clams to get a saw that will last twice as long and be easier to use.

And finally, yes, this saw will be riding in a case, not flopping around in the bed!

Thanks again!

How about trying to find a good used pro saw? I would recommend MS260 or Husky 346XP for 50cc class. If you want slightly bigger: MS361 or JRed 2163 (60cc class). I don't think you need any bigger, for now... If you think you will manage to stick to a 1 saw plan, 60cc class is a good compromise.
You can find good advice on choosing a used saw on this forum. Paint under the saw is a good way to see if it's really been barely used. You should also ask to see behind the muffler to check P&C...

I'd go with a used MS260 or new 261. If you can afford it get the 261. And get two bars, maybe 16" and 20" if it's for big pine. It will cut slower but it will cut it because the wood is softer. And if you get your bar pinched, you just switch remove the powerhead from the pinched bar, switch to your other bar, and cut out of the pinch.

Both saws are relatively light, and the 261 will use noticeably less fuel, so you may be able to carry less fuel in the woods.

You can buy a near perfect, low mileage used 026's, MS260's all day for 350-400 bucks. The last saw you will ever need unless you start tree service/logging company. :rock:

This is what you need. Our site sponsers can fix you up with one at reasnoable cost. I bought this one from a member here for his asking price of $100. It has pro saw construction, a side mounted chain adjuster, comp release and double dawgs, is lightweight starts easy and runs good even without a muffler mod. There is nothing to not like about this saw. :hmm3grin2orange:

Except it aint a Stihl

I use a echo cs400 with a 16 inch bar on my 4 wheeler for trail clearing. It is 40cc and has an adjustable oilier which the homeowner stihl's don't have plus a better air filter. Dust on the back of a 4 wheeler can get pretty bad.

IMO a 16-20" bar on a 50-60cc saw is probably all your going to need if the biggest thing your cuting is 24" pine. It might take a lil longer with a smaller saw but your probably not going to want to be toting around a 70cc saw all the time. I have a 044 that is awesome in big wood but the 032 or 028 super...or the ms250...or the husky 36 is alot easier to pack around.

Matt

IMO a 16-20" bar on a 50-60cc saw is probably all your going to need if the biggest thing your cuting is 24" pine. It might take a lil longer with a smaller saw but your probably not going to want to be toting around a 70cc saw all the time. I have a 044 that is awesome in big wood but the 032 or 028 super...or the ms250...or the husky 36 is alot easier to pack around.

Matt

This^^^ a homeowner doesn't need a pro 4-5 cube saw, period. Will it be faster in big wood? of course it will, so what. Buy the saw which meets to the cutting conditions you will see the most often. MS260 or 50cc saws are awesome in MOST situations you will encounter, [occasional brush clearing, firewood chores, falling the occasional tree to 20inch DBH]

We do pre-commercial thinning/timber-stand improvement where we literally fall hundreds of 6-12 inch diameter DBH trees per man day. The fastest combo we have found is a 50cc saw and a razor sharp .325 chain. A bigger saw slows you down do to weight/bulk, a smaller saw has negligible weight savings and is underpowered.

Back