Help Picking A Small Limbing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been visiting this site for several months now, but this is my first post. Love the site! You guys are great!

I recently purchased a Husqvarna 346XP saw with an 18" bar for my do-it-yourself father. Now I am thinking about getting a smaller limbing saw for the small stuff. We cut and split about 7 cord of firewood per year, so I would like the saw to be fairly durable. My father hates nothing more than an unreliable saw and I don't want to throw my money away...

I would like for it to be ultra light weight. I am looking at saws in the 7-9lbs range (powehead only). I am thinking because we have an 18" saw already I should skip the 16" saws and look at 14" saws. Does anyone think this is too small of a bar?

I have not heard much discussion on the Stihl MS 192 C-E saw (rear handle version), but so far it is at the top of my list. I would love to splurge and buy the MS 200 (rear handle) but it is $630 in Taxachusetts! The MS 192 is $340.

Does anyone think I should buy the MS 192 C-E? Is it capable of cutting 8-10" diameter branches? Does it live up to the Stihl name?

There are no Dolmar dealers in Mass, but NH is only an hour away. Should I make the ride up and get a Dolmar?

I am skeptical of the low end husky saws and am hesitant towards Echo. Shindaiwa is probably a bit heavy. Jonsered is probably very similar to the small huskies that they sell at Sears and Lowes... I am open to any suggestions/comments/corrections, etc.
Thanks so much for the help!

Im with gary. What kinda cutting do you do that a 346 is your big saw? If anything, it should be a limbing saw, but should serve all around pretty well.

Like Gary said. The 346xp makes a great 13" or 15" saw.

Anyway, MS180, MS181, MS192, or MS211 would all be good choices for superlightweight saws. You might also want to consider the $100 refurbished Ryobi/Redmax that folks seem all enamored of these days, too. I'd want a bit more than the 180/192 have for anything more than pruning, though; I haven't run the new xx1 series small saws.

As you surely know, saw reliability is usually a matter of maintenance more than inherent quality, with obvious exceptions at the super-low end of the spectrum. Any decent saw given good care should prove to be a good, reliable performer.

maybe get used 260 026 to go along with the 346.

i realy dont care for the smaller saws. if i wanted realy small maybe id get stihl 180 170 just for cutn small branches but everytime im cutn small branches i end up in in 10- 20" wood real quick

Some options that aern't as expensive, and AOD's spin on them

Stihl MS 211
Husky 435 or 440
Echo CS-370
RedMax 3800
Dolmar 410 (I think thats the one)

And the crappy saws, the Poulan WoodSharks, plasticky Macs and Homelites

I've heard good things about the 211 and handled one but never ran one.

The Huskies are okay but lose a lot of their performance though their pollution controls.

The Echo lacks in performance but it sturdy and well made.

Don't know much about the Dolmar but it's probably a good saw for the money.

The RedMax is the clear winner here, the hot rod of the small rear handle class

The other are probably not worth your time, money and frustration.

I've seen 2 ms180 saws that were used bring $200-$210 in the past week on ebay, I can buy a new one for $199. I think i'm gonna do that, if i don't like it apparently it's not to hard to get my money back;)

My MS170 is the cat's meow for limbing, but once the branches are off, it's time for something bigger. I never cut anything much over 6" with it.

The only complaint I have is it is a bit of a hard starter cold (8-10 pulls), but once running, it's a 1-pull starter.

Think I got it on sale for about $150 a couple years back, well worth it and a bit more.

I've seen 2 ms180 saws that were used bring $200-$210 in the past week on ebay, I can buy a new one for $199. I think i'm gonna do that, if i don't like it apparently it's not to hard to get my money back;)

IMHO I think you'd be better off spending a bit more and getting the MS211. The 170/180's are decent saws but are really meant for the homeowner market and won't hold up well with regular service cutting firewood a lot.

Wow! I can not believe how many replies I received in such a short amount of time! Thank you all!!

Here goes with my replies:

I know the 346XP is not a huge saw, but maybe my old man is getting a bit old and the 11.2 lbs (powerhead) tires him out faster than it should when he limbs trees around the property... We mostly do a lot of bucking. There is a local tree company that drops off several grapple loads at the house. We just cut them into log lengths and then split with a gas powered log splitter.

The 346XP is a very nice saw in my opinion. I am glad I made the purchase.

I am not opposed to a MS 260, but it is only about .6lbs lighter than the 346XP. I am looking for a noticeable weight difference, but still something with good power and maneuverability.

I am trying to avoid changing bars on the husky. Plus with two saws we could both take a saw and double our output. One person can buck the larger logs and the other can walk around and limb/prune and buck the small stuff.

I do have a Redmax dealer in town and both the GZ 4000 and G3800AVS are a few pounds lighter than my current saw. Both Redmax saws look like they come with a 16" or 18" bar. Do you think a 14" bar is too small? Should I be looking at the 16" saws? Or should I just use the husky for everything?

I can get a MS 180 for right around $220 here but I am worried it just might not be enough for the larger branches 6" +.

The MS 211 seems like a nice saw, but a bit close in weight to the 346XP...
I am much more inclined to go with farm or professional level equipment too, and the MS 211 is more like that than the MS 170/180 saws. I do take very nice care of my equipment though.

So I take it no one thinks the MS 200 (rear handle) is the best fit for me and the MS 192 is probably not worth it given the saw I already have?

Maybe I should just stick with the one saw?

Thanks again. You guys rock!

I'd stick with another husky, mainly so you can interchange parts (bars, etc.) I'm not a husky man(yet), so I don't know about the quality of the smaller saws

IMHO I think you'd be better off spending a bit more and getting the MS211. The 170/180's are decent saws but are really meant for the homeowner market and won't hold up well with regular service cutting firewood a lot.

Is the MS211 any more robust really? I haven't seen the saw - but in our latest winter stihl catalog I couldnt help be put off by the description of the MS211 as for the "occasional user". I also noticed it has only a single bar nut vs 2 nuts on the MS170 and 180 (excluding the quick tensioning versions)...which I know is no basis for deciding on the longevity of the saw....

For the MS180 the catalog says..
Highly suitable for cutting firewood and for tree pruning. Good for felling small trees up to approx. 30cm in diameter.
phwwaarrrr!!!! a felling saw!!! :chainsawguy:

For the MS211 the catalog says..
For the occasional user, this general-purpose saw has it all – low weight, very low vibration, emissions and fuel consumption. Ideal saw for tree pruning and firewood preparation around the home."
:rolleyes: {insert_big_girls_blouse_image}

yeh... yeh... I know.... :jester: ;) :ices_rofl:

Last edited:
Maybe it's just my stubborn mind, but I hate buying too small of a saw. Generally, the smaller saws seem to be less reliable, easily underpowered, and non-professional grade, as they are also cheaper in cost. Just plain cheaper!

I'd love to have your 346XP to use for a multi-purpose small saw. Maybe you want to try a cousin to the Husky, something from the Jonsered line. Though i'm not sure how they rate their saws for duty grade. But they might have something lighter with good power.

Meanwhile, i'm stuck carrying big 18lb buggers!! But check the bulge on these python's, man! :lifter:

Last edited:
The 200 has one bar nut, mute point.

I've had a little experience with the 170/180 saws but I can say the build quality looks/feels better on the 211. I dont' think anti vibe matters much on these tiny saws but the air filter stays clean and the strat engine burns very clean. I'm not feeling a big difference in weight between my 211 and 026, 1 pound on a cheap bathroom scale. I'm going to use the mail scale at work tomorrow and get some better numbers.

So I take it no one thinks the MS 200 (rear handle) is the best fit for me ...

I think the MS200 (rear handle) would be perfect and I'd like one too... its a lot of dosh for a small limbing saw given the alternatives however.

I use a Dolmar PS 401 for limbs. 8.8 lbs for the power head. Vertically split magnesium crankcase. I run an Oregon 12 inch bar. The saw is so light you can carry it around with one hand all day. You already have a saw for 10 inch limbs.

I have an older poulan 2000 that I use alot the only bad thing is the anti vibe is non existant.

I vote for Husky 339XP.

Listed as 8.8 lb powerhead and 2.4 Hp.

It came with a 16" bar. I replaced that with a 13" Oregon Micro - Lite Chainsaw Bar (130MPBK095) and WoodlandPro 20NK 56 DL chain from Baileys a site sponsor.

I have dropped some trees slightly longer than the bar, and it did not bog down doing it.

This saw is a replacement for a worn out Stihl 019T.

Back