Help Servicing Huskee log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We purchased the 27 ton huskee splitter with the 5.5 hp Honda engine this summer. It has worked great with only a few minor problems such as a pivot retainer pin breaking.
After changing oil and checking upcoming maintenance requirements for engine, I was shocked.
After every 100 hours it has to be taken to dealer for valve adjustments and flywheel brake checks for replacing:jawdrop: . The dealer can be dropped if the owner is mechanically inclined. My dad is very good with engines, but I look at the thing wrong and I end up with extra parts!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
I can not believe all this is required after only a few 40 hour weeks of work.
Is this normal does everyone do this maintenance and how do figure out the hours without an engine hour meter.:confused:
Even more serious stuff after longer service hours.

How can a person take the manual serious when it says to tip the engine to the side to change the oil, yeah right a person is to tip the whole splitter on its side to drain the oil!:laugh: :laugh: :givebeer:

The dealer also did not fill the reservoir with Hydraulic fluid, is it all right to mix Hydraulic fluid with hydraulic/trans fluid made for farm implements etc. This is the only stuff available locally at property.

Most machines should be serviced at every 100 hrs, however I service my stump cutters at 59 hrs due to dusty environment.
Usually auto trans oil is a good substitute for hyd oil.
Be aware that hyd oil tanks should only be filled to 2/3 to 3/4 full to allow for surge on oil return.
Can't help with the tip over, common sense may have to sort that one out.

The dealer also did not fill the reservoir with Hydraulic fluid, is it all right to mix Hydraulic fluid with hydraulic/trans fluid made for farm implements etc. This is the only stuff available locally at property.

It's ok to use the "Tractor transmission hydraulic oil" in you splitter. You can even mix it with R&O hydraulic oil, just don't use R&O in your tractor's transmission.

Andy

We purchased the 27 ton huskee splitter with the 5.5 hp Honda engine this summer. It has worked great with only a few minor problems such as a pivot retainer pin breaking.
After changing oil and checking upcoming maintenance requirements for engine, I was shocked.
After every 100 hours it has to be taken to dealer for valve adjustments and flywheel brake checks for replacing:jawdrop: . The dealer can be dropped if the owner is mechanically inclined. My dad is very good with engines, but I look at the thing wrong and I end up with extra parts!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Is this normal does everyone do this maintenance and how do figure out the hours without an engine hour meter.:confused:

How can a person take the manual serious when it says to tip the engine to the side to change the oil, yeah right a person is to tip the whole splitter on its side to drain the oil!:laugh: :laugh: :givebeer:

At least you found somebody to work on yours. I had a 35 ton job and I had a problem with the big hydraulic cylinder, and I had to find my own guy to fix it. Thats the major problem buying ???? from douchebag stores that dont service what they sell. something to remember when making a big purchase

I just bought the same splitter in Nov, and I have been trying to figure out how I am going to change the engine oil myself. Is there some sort of pump you can use to pump it out?

On some vertical shaft engines the drain plug is on the bottom near the output shaft.

Wait they did say you had to turn it on the side to use the combination Fill-Drain, so before you cut down the next tree you will have to use it to winch the splitter up.

Just think the manufacturer saved a nickel by not putting in a drain plug.:censored:

I have a Huskee 27 ton with 6.5 briggs it has a drain plug bottom of motor,
tight to get at. The motor is held on with four 5/16" bolts. would be easier & safer to remove motor than tip splitter & you might find a drain plug hiding under it & cut an access hole for it.

Dave

Just got back in town from cutting Christmas tree at property and trimming/Thinning young Oaks. Cold weather and snow was great, sorry about delay in answering any question.
Tipping over the engine/splitter is ridiculous as suggested in the manual and to even suggest it is why I am questioning reliability for all the service upkeep.

Years ago, when I had to drain oil from boat engine I bought an oil drain pump powered by a drill motor and that worked great. It drained the oil from engine oil fill/drain hole in about a minute. A version like it can be bought at http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=20316&pdesc=Drill_Pump

Using the pump,it is easier done if splitter beam is in vertical position.

Does anybody know of an hour meter that can be installed on the splitter for maintenance issues. It would have to be self powered and easier to use than a clock since multi users would lose track of time splitting?

Back