Help Wanted - New(ish) cheapo will not run..... Should I shoot it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scritter

CC&BW
Reaction score
I confess, I made a BIG mistake....
I spent good money at a BBS for a red & black LEMON!

It took me a week and a half, to figure that the spark plug really wasn't. A-Yep, I did check out after about the 30th pull, It did spark (I thought it was OK, I saw a bit of blue when I sparked it against the motor)..... Finally bought a new plug and the stupid nut driver thing (Pac-Man, really? I should have known it was a loss/game/toy at that point....) Since then I was able to spend less than 45 minutes each time I used it pulling the rope.

I finally felled one out of approx 30 drought killed 'live' oaks. I got almost 2/3 of a cord out of the part of the tree I've cut so far and after the factory chain went smooth I bought another, times two, got the bar AFU in my vice while sharpening the spare chain - Had help from a curious cow - havn't gotten the "SAW" to run since.

I have contacted the Homelite help line numerous times. I am not a registered owner because I had the audacity to call with a problem before I registered the blinking thing ( it dosnt really blink, if it did it would be useful for something..)

So, to get to the point, Do I shoot it?

Even if it's repairable it is badly undersized for my need. These trees average 3' in DIAMETER and have tree sized limbs dropping way to often.,

SO, ,,,,,,,,......
Could anyone (PLEASE) recomend something above 40cc and below 65cc to someone who has virtually no experience with 2 cycle motors, maybe $300.00 and no time before these trees kill a cow or a person. (I have alot of felling under my belt from working northern Maine's pulp wood with pneumatic two man bars ect... (way back), I really can't afford another purchasing mistake..... I am VERY frustrated..HELP< HELP!

It took me a week and a half, to figure that the spark plug really wasn't. A-Yep, I did check out after about the 30th pull, It did spark (I thought it was OK, I saw a bit of blue when I sparked it against the motor)..... Finally bought a new plug and the stupid nut driver thing (Pac-Man, really? I should have known it was a loss/game/toy at that point....) Since then I was able to spend less than 45 minutes each time I used it pulling the rope.

I finally felled one out of approx 30 drought killed 'live' oaks. I got almost 2/3 of a cord out of the part of the tree I've cut so far and after the factory chain went smooth I bought another, times two, got the bar AFU in my vice while sharpening the spare chain - Had help from a curious cow - havn't gotten the "SAW" to run since.

I have contacted the Homelite help line numerous times. I am not a registered owner because I had the audacity to call with a problem before I registered the blinking thing ( it dosnt really blink, if it did it would be useful for something..)

Even if it's repairable it is badly undersized for my need. These trees average 3' in DIAMETER and have tree sized limbs dropping way to often.,

SO, ,,,,,,,,......
Could anyone (PLEASE) recomend something above 40cc and below 65cc to someone who has virtually no experience with 2 cycle motors, maybe $300.00 and no time before these trees kill a cow or a person. (I have alot of felling under my belt from working northern Maine's pulp wood with pneumatic two man bars ect... (way back), I really can't afford another purchasing mistake..... I am VERY frustrated..HELP< HELP!
I know you don't want to hear... be patient while you search our tradin' post for the saw you want at a price w/shipping you'd like. I've gotten two excellent used saws at nice price for what I recieved. I deal with members that have been here for awhile as a security . GLWB
edit add: You can also offer dead saw as partial trade

above 40cc and below 65cc to someone who has virtually no experience with 2 cycle motors, maybe $300.00
Maybe something will be in the trading post.
If not, I'd say you need dealer support to tune saw. Have an Echo dealer? The CS-590 would be a good choice and you might get it for ~$350 if there is a sale going on.

Don't know anyone that would take a newer home lite for trade, they're 100$ new or in working condition.. not worth the time to fix most times. Find a good used Stihl or Husky in the 60cc or better class. Chances of finding a husky in this class at under 300$ are better than a Stihl. Husky 455- 460 are in this group and can be had but the Stihl 460 will run you considerably more.:cool:

Check Echo web site. Sale coming up for 20% off. That would put your Cs-590 Timberwolf at $320. Sale only at certain dealers, you'll have to scroll thru the list of dealers. Mod the muffler and retune the carb out of the box, warranty is more of a suggestion. I listened to the big boys on this site and modded and retuned my Echo's, totally different saws.

SO, ,,,,,,,,......
300$ look on e bay for a husqvarna 353 a litle bit more expencive but perfect saw weight /power i have mine already for 7 years leaks a bit of oil but thats the only problem

Wow!, Too Cool, All the replies...

Thank You!

I found a couple of solutions ,maybe,...ideas of solutions any way - Let me know!

What is the general feeling about reconditioned Huskey's? Northern Tool has the 450 for $279.00with the two year warentee thrown in due to my last dealings with them. If you push they still honor theirs, If they have to..

I also talked to a local Echo dealer about maybe picking up early on the spring sale( in exchange for some Oak Lump Charcoal early... Maybe that 590 would be a good Idea -
Same fella handles Stihl and mentioned the 271 'Farm Boss' 399.00 less 20% and he said he would throw in a chain.
I hav'n't met this person face to face just on the phone and he might be thinking that I'm stronger than I am.

Just so you folk understand, I'm not a very big person. I weigh in at about 110lbs - 5'4" and somewhere over the fifty year mark.... I'm not sure I can swing one a tank of fuel at a time that is to heavey.. I'm a girl. What you felllas do with strength we have to use rigging! {and winches, block & tackle.....} Slow and safely.... I still climb an average of 600' of radio tower a week - I'm tring to find time to fix my ride (not drivable XTerra] i have totally quit trusting mechanics that I can afford... I like taking care of myself, wouldnt mind sharing the load you see but when most of the Texas guys I meet find out I'm a better welder.....
Sides I got slab type plans for a good bit of this wood ( and more charcoal, some simple furniture ect...) There are visions of a bit more metal smithing, I found a big OLD portable mill on the property I'm on Belt driven with a whole box of 40 some odd inch circular blades and what I think either is now or could easily be an extreamly large band saw - Lots of projects!, Time to kick back and live life more on the terms I want to! I'm also teaching one of the calfs {calves?} to be an Ox - to help with the damn trees...

Any suggestions, ideas opinions, or anything else , Let me know!, (except that I'm nut, this I already know...} You Guys have been a massive help already!

I'lll post some pictures tomorrow -
I'm on a friends computer this evening......

If the Gods truly favor me I might even be ready to start sawing Monday or Tuesday!???!!!!YES!!

Thanks again!!

Oh One more thing - I will check the for sales on this site too!! { I really don't want to wernch on any thing new right now....I'd have to keep moving my socket box from shop to truck to often.

Get something dependable. You won't regret it. If I recall correctly the MS 271 is in the 50cc class. Go hold these saws and see how they feel in your hands.

When you get around to cutting those big oaks, be careful when you get near then end of each cut. Those big logs like to roll a bit sometimes when you finish a cut and if your foot is anywhere near the underside of the log it can get trapped, and that's when you have a small problem, or if the log keeps rolling, a BIG problem.

SHe has no business cutting that big of a tree by himself with the small saws recommended. Be safe out there. You only live once

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back