Help Wanted - New(ish) cheapo will not run..... Should I shoot it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the hands on day Thanks to all who are pitching in! first stop my local depot just cause they have a husky on the shelf I want to check the balance on , It might not be worth going into the city to the dealer... But if so! Wish me luck guys - Ill be doing my damndest not to impulse buy until at least this evening and if none of the ones I'm tihinking on click- I WANT to wait until one does I really want tocut the rest of these trees down,..... Paitence dosn't come cheap either

When felling the large ones even the ones that are a little awkward I will have my handy talk tuned into the other half at the neighbors, Let him know when I felling and when I'm done - If he dosn't hear from me "when the saw quits working' the idea is to call 911 first and grab the binocs second...... Plenty of time to call off the O,Oh Squad if they are not needed. I'm not into dieing so young.. A little bit of fore-thought & safety gear cost little but can really change the final outcome..Actually knowing him if I don't go by his place first he would be wherever I'm cutting anyway, Really good barter for homemade bread pudding ( blueberries not raisens!)

You're making me nervous just reading your posts about felling 3' diameter oaks. That's a big tree and lots can go wrong, so have a good plan, and I would seriously consider having a pro get them knocked down for you. At least get a second or third set of experienced eyes looking at the trees and your plan and pointing out whatever hazards they may see that you may have missed. And I have to agree with a previous poster - a 50cc saw is not ideal for felling 3' oaks, and even for bucking them will be a slow process. I also understand you have a budget in mind, so maybe you should be looking for at least a 60+cc saw in the used/classifieds section that is in known good condition.

Just 1 man's opinion - hope it helps.

and those saws wenn you now how to handle them those big trees isnt a real big problem most imortant thing is watching and thinking and eventual puting a farm tractor on the right place

For your size consider the Echo CS-490, just do the muffler mod and retune the carb.

I've found that my Stihl MS271 with an 18" bar is pretty well balanced... Balance can be as, if not more, important than weight when it comes to muscling a saw around. As such it may be worth a look...

As an aside, I find my MS461 with a 25" bar is well balanced and I can use it for hours while clearing snags, blowdowns, and leaners. When I put on the 36" bar it doesn't weigh all that much more than with the 25" bar but it is a real handful due to the nose heaviness.

This is starting to read like a Lou Reed song... e.g., Walk on the Wild Side ;)
Welcome! To the borders of my very odd but interesting life! (Or is it the Twilight Zone?)

And the boys go: Dup-de,Dup Du Du......

Ok, apparently this has been touched on, but nobody has come out and said it. If I was headed out to fell a single 36" diameter oak, I would likely bring a minimum of 3 saws. 90cc for felling and large bucking, 60-70cc for larger limbs, and 50cc for the rest of the limbing. There is no way I would attempt to cut up / fell a 36" diameter oak with less than 90cc. Its not that it CAN'T be done, but frankly anything else is the wrong tool for the job. Big trees need big equipment. Proper equipment is safer, faster, and overall easier on the equipment and maintenance. If you are felling 30 of these oaks, then you have a serious job on your hands. Not giving a job the proper respect a job needs is asking for trouble. .... ie... getting hurt. Please please be careful out there. If you have a big job, get some proper equipment.

Latest posts

Back