Help/Warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffdog1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gang, recently a NIB Dolmar 6800 was offered or sale on this site.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dolmar-ps6800i.311110/
It was in Australia and I agreed to purchase here and paid the seller, but three weeks down the track and there is no saw and communication has dried up.
I suspect that the saw may have been "purchased" by multiple people - potentially on your side of the pond.
If you had any correspondence with this seller can you send me a message and I will explain the steps I am taking but would obviously be keen to discuss the situation with anyone else that may have thought they had purchased the saw.
This type of scam is becoming increasingly common over here when it comes to expensive older saws as we try and move away from ebay.
I was solicited by this seller (he sent me a private message) based on my posts in the Dolmar section - I am worried about this as a possible trend and just want to warn people - I am not positive that I will get either a saw or money back, but would hate by anyone else to be stung by the same guy.20170625_213027.jpg

Its under control from this end but I will be interested to see if anyone else had any contact. I have a lot of information on the guy and lots of help from Aussie chainsaw enthusiasts but am worried that others might be in the same boat.

In Australia you are dealing with all sorts of people if you are a chainsaw collector and there are some risks that you have to take - a lot of the old timers don't use internet etc, but I had spoken to this bloke personally prior to do anything. Yep in hindsight it was a mistake - a touch learning experience.

That's too bad, I had a very similar experience here last winter. Mine worked out to my benefit after a lot of leg work on my part and the USPS and in the end I got my saw, I hope you have the same luck and get your saw. Unfortunately the scum bags look just like you and I when they are on the computer.

That sucks, ive been burned on here only once out of dozens of transactions, but it happens. Hopefully he gets kicked in the nuts a few hundred times or somethin.

I am always very cautious with an add by a new member on their first post. If such a saw was actually for sale, I think multiple pics would have been provided instead of on dark dodgy pic. Hindsight is 20/20 I realise but the world ain't short of evil dudding scammers sadly. Sorry for you loss, I highly doubt their was an actual saw for sale, if there was I'm sure the add would look different. Bugga!

I'd get the add pic and run it through an internet search engine to see where its been poached from or where it is also being offered for sale. Perhaps it may save someone else's hide. I wish more law enforcement went after these buggers. It appears their criminal business model is quite sound. I bet a search of that image would yield some interesting info.

He actually sent me a number of other pictures and I did do a search looking for pictures and there were none - He was also able to answer clear questions about the saw having no bar and what was and was not included in the box. I actually believe he did have the saw and am of the belief that someone else has purchased. We will see a few things to do this week - I have a lot of information so it is now just about handing this over to the authorities - he used his business in his name on here and in dealing with me which is helpful as it gives me the chance to pursue him at a business level rather than just personally as you actually have more protection in this case.

He actually sent me a number of other pictures and I did do a search looking for pictures and there were none - He was also able to answer clear questions about the saw having no bar and what was and was not included in the box. I actually believe he did have the saw and am of the belief that someone else has purchased. We will see a few things to do this week - I have a lot of information so it is now just about handing this over to the authorities - he used his business in his name on here and in dealing with me which is helpful as it gives me the chance to pursue him at a business level rather than just personally as you actually have more protection in this case.

Kudos to you. We should start a fund here for going after scammers like this - pay for private investigator, legal fees, bail for you if you find the guy and put a beatdown on him, etc. I'd chip in.

Your 1st mistake, the seller was a new member and only had one post. ( the sale ad). To me that's a big red flag. I would never buy anything unless they have been here awhile. Do you have any other info on the seller?
Just a question: If nobody buys from a first time seller how does he get established?

Just a question: If nobody buys from a first time seller how does he get established?

He (or she???) should be able to establish himself a bit by being here a while and establishing some contacts, a bit of familiarity, etc. It may not be much, but I would much prefer to buy from someone who has been here for a while. And if I'm not sure of a transaction, I'd feel better if I looked at some old posts that talked about seller's location, other folks who knew the seller, etc.

In other words, if it's a new member with only one post and it's in the for sale section, that's a red flag. If it's a member who has been here for a while and it's his first sale, I'm much less concerned, especially since CAD sufferers have problems with selling! And best case is a member who has been here and while, has sold a lot, has very detailed pictures, and has had some excellent feedback - @NewToStihl comes to mind - have bought a few saws from him.

I've heard people say to not buy on ebay from a first time seller also and they don't have a community of chainsaw enthusiasts or any other product as far as I know. They have an ebay community of sorts but doubt if they have GTGs though..Yes, it can be a she by all means..

He (or she???) should be able to establish himself a bit by being here a while and establishing some contacts, a bit of familiarity, etc. It may not be much, but I would much prefer to buy from someone who has been here for a while. And if I'm not sure of a transaction, I'd feel better if I looked at some old posts that talked about seller's location, other folks who knew the seller, etc.

In other words, if it's a new member with only one post and it's in the for sale section, that's a red flag. If it's a member who has been here for a while and it's his first sale, I'm much less concerned, especially since CAD sufferers have problems with selling! And best case is a member who has been here and while, has sold a lot, has very detailed pictures, and has had some excellent feedback - @NewToStihl comes to mind - have bought a few saws from him.
Perfectly explained!!!

Back