Help with a fundraiser get a Jred 590 Project Saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The Hook:

I have a J-red 590 project saw, with a gently used 490 top end, and lots of spare parts that I will ship free of cost within North America, 50/50 split on shipping outside of NA to the person who helps me raise the most funds for men's health. To BE CLEAR IT IS A DISASSEMBLED PROJECT, BUT ALL PARTS ARE THERE.

Old thread from when I was going to rebuild it:http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/61365.htm

Note at the end of the thread there are pics showing some of the spart parts, I sold a few things off. I will put together a detailed list of what spare parts are included over the weekend and update the thread. Off the top of my head: New clutch, used carb, Handle assembly for P5000+, various plastic, oil pump.

The details on the fund raising event:

It's Movember and time to make a difference.

Men's health is a cause I am passionate about but in order to make a difference I need your help. My commitment is to grow a moustache for the month of November and in doing so, raise vital awareness and funds for prostate cancer and male mental health. We all know someone who’s life has been affected by a men’s health issue. I personally have coworkers, friends and family member’s who have recently gone through the fight to recover and stay healthy. I have set a personal goal of raising $2000.00.

I am asking you to help support my personal journey by making a donation. The size of which isn't important, every little bit helps Movember to continue its funding of world class programs. If you want to know more about what you'll be helping to fund, you can visit Movember Canada - About Movember.
To highlight the importance of what I am doing, take a look at these statistics:

• 1 in 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime
• This year 26,500 new cases of the disease will be diagnosed
• 1 in 5 men will experience a mental illness this year

If you'd like to help change these statistics, please donate to me here: Movember Canada - Home Incase the link doesn't work it is:

http://mobro.co/chriswhaites

If you're interested in the work being done take a look at the Programs We Fund section on the Movember website: Movember Canada - About Movember

Thank you in advance for supporting my efforts to change the face of men's health.

As non AS members will be donating as well include the statement "Men's Health is important and chainsaws are fun" in the comment section when you make a donation. This is how I will be distinguishing who wants to be entered in the run to get the project saw... wouldn't want it to go to a non chainsaw fan.

I will ship the saw and all parts to anywhere in North America for free. Outside of North America I will split the cost 50/50.

PS: Donations are tax deductable in Canada

Last edited:
I will put together a detailed list of what spare parts are included over the weekend and update the thread. Off the top of my head: New clutch, 2-3 used carbs, Handle assembly for P5000+, various plastic, new oil pump.

Ok so there is a used oil pump, used flywheel and ignition coil, new air filter, used air filter (plus the original), new clutch, used spare recoil with cover, used spare recoil cover, used spare handle assembly with A/V Mount (P5000+ colours), used spare used carb and mount, the lightly used 490 cylinder, like-new piston, new ring/clips, gasket, spare muffler, IPL.

I don't know if the seals are bad, but if someone is going to rebuild it, my thoughts are that its likely be a good idea to do the seals too. Of course the original 590 with 18" bar is included.

At present you can own this project for a small donation.... 1 dollar will take it. Obviously its for charity so I'm hoping to get more than that. These are really fun saws, and from what I've heard take to mods very well. Remember to add the comment when you donate to the page, so I know that you are throwing your hat in the ring for the saw.:msp_biggrin:

View attachment 260570 View attachment 260571 View attachment 260572 View attachment 260573

Last edited:
I guess the 590 isn't much of a draw...

Who am I kidding this is more of a bump than anything else.... let's call a spade a spade.

It's funny I was thinking this would have brought some sort of attention... I realize its no 460 or 372 but I was thinking I would get at least one or two people putting in a few bucks. On the other hand If it turns out that no one donates it will be a good project when I get around to it.

How long are you going to let this go? i didn't see a date on your site. Have a little faith, a little is better than nothing.

Shea

PS--Bump for a man with a good cause.

Cheers! Thanks for showing some interest. Its on for the month of November. The deal is you shave Nov 1 then grow a moustache for the rest of the month. Kind of Cheesy really but its for a good cause.

Update: I have my first donation from this thread. nmurf donated $25 but missed the comment when making the donation. Figured I'd better post here, I wouldn't want someone donating $20 and then think I cheated them by shipping it to nmurf..... THANKS nmurf!

Last edited:
Thanks PJF1313

One more housekeeping item.

The question came up: If I donate X amount and someone donates a bit more, can I make a second donation to get my total above theirs.

All is fair in love and war.... The person with the most donated to the cause will get the saw and all associated parts. So if you donate multiple times then i will total up all of your donations...

As previously mentioned the fund raiser goes for the month of November. Dec 1 I will post who won. I'll get their address through PM and then mail out the loot.

Thanks to all who take part.

Chris

Here ya' go!!

261376d1352382455-rowan-moustache-jpg

Moustache so far

View attachment 261577

Thanks to nmurf, PJF1313, and R2D! I have raised $100 though this thread.:clap:

I now have $493 raised in total for men's health (research and support for prostate cancer, etc.). My goal is $2000.00 so I still have a ways to go.

How Much is the highest bid?

How about a pic of the 'stache to entice more bids, you know if Uncle Mustache sees a worthy 'stache he'd probably donate too.

But seriously, Ive been on the hunt for a 490 for awhile, even a project so whats the highest bid? And if I donate more does it add to my original? Like lets say I get out bid does your fundraiser keep track of individuals totals? And sorry if you already stated all this, Im just too lazy to read the whole thread over again. And besides all my questions bump it to the current page.

It's a sticky thread now. Just for the record, Mechanic Matt tried first and then I did. Two guys whom never stickied a thread before.

Only took 2,000 credits :laugh:

I sent you the 230 bidpoints I had to sticky this thread. You'll need 1000 points to do it. Maybe someone else can donate you some.

I saw that.... What are bidpoints?

MechanicMatt

I had two donations of 25, and one donation of 50.... now this bidpoint thing. I don't really understand what it is though. If its money to be used on classifieds etc, then I'm going to discourage that kind of donation. This isn't for me its for charity and I don't know how I can turn bidpoints into a donation so.....

Assuming that is what bidpoints are, does anyone have any idea how I can repay the person who gave them to me so I can then direct them to the website where donations are to be made?

Update: Ok I think I understand now... you were sending points so I could use them to sticky the thread? Thanks... I misunderstood. As its already stickied do you want me to send them back?

Last edited:
It's a sticky thread now. Just for the record, Mechanic Matt tried first and then I did. Two guys whom never stickied a thread before.

Only took 2,000 credits :laugh:

Thanks a million guys! Sorry you burned the points.

Back