Help with Fairbanks Morse recoil starters please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could run a bead with a mig down the cup to give it something to grab onto. Cups always seem to wear out first in my experience

A lot of the old FM starter saws that came my way had notches filed into the starter cups for the pawls to grab on. I turn out the inner surface of the cup and make an aluminum sleeve to press in, them machine the sleeve to the correct dimension, only do this if there is little to no chance of finding a OEM replacement.

The cup wearing out is really the biggest challenge with these. Those came in many configurations depending on the manufacturer. The shoes, washers, springs, clips, etc are all more or less the same. Degrease everything, replace washers if you need to, and sharpen the trailing edge of the dogs. Theu all seem to work well afterwards. Sometimes the pulley fights you recoiling, might have to tear it down, smooth the center post, and maybe a apply little oil here. The shoes and washers must be dry.

Don't ask about Pioneer's version of this on their 750/850 series saws...

Latest posts

Back