I came home to two "new" saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got back from the latest trip there were two new old saws waiting to greet me. Seems one of my son Joshua's friends had some saws given to him and he wasn't interested in keeping them.

Unkown saw with Power Products AH47 engine, anyone point me in the right direction on this one? I am pretty sure the green air filter came off of something other that this saw. It looks similar to my Bolens Thrifty, but then a lot of saw of that era looked very similar. Any help on I.D. would be appreciated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The unknown is missing the Fairbanks Morse recoil starter but I know from my Strunk that you can start them easily enough with a rope wrapped around the starter cup. Just don't let it rest against your leg while the engine is running.

More pictures in the next post...

Mark

Last edited:
What a nice surprise! I'd love to give your son some rep Mark; you've obviously raised him well. I guess I'll just have to throw some rep your way, and you can pass the compliment on to him for me.

When I got back from the latest trip there were two new old saws waiting to greet me. Seems one of my son Joshua's friends had some saws given to him and he wasn't interested in keeping them.

Unkown saw with Power Products AH47 engine, anyone point me in the right direction on this one? I am pretty sure the green air filter came off of something other that this saw. It looks similar to my Bolens Thrifty, but then a lot of saw of that era looked very similar. Any help on I.D. would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Mark

Its a Wards or a Mono. On the fuel tank the decal thats left does
it look like part of a tree? Yours is a different model then mine.
Your front handle bolts on a little different.

HPIM0237.jpg

Mono, Some one put that muffler on there. They don't come new like that.
HPIM1274-1.jpg

Mono

I was going to say Mono but all the Monos I've seen were red. However that gold sure seems like a Wards or Sears color. Probably built by Mono for one or the other of those big stores. That Zip sure looks to be in great original condition. Nice of you son to direct them to someone who will give them good care.

I am pretty happy with the boys most of the time, they did seem to turn out pretty well. My daughter is O.K. as well but so far no chain saws from her.

I did a little looking around over on Mike Acres sight and came to the conclusion is was a Mono, or at least built by Mono.

Modified Mark's Mono with the AH81
attachment.php

Does this mean I am now going to have to build a full collection from another manufacturer as well?

Where does it end?

Mark

Saws & Kids

I am pretty happy with the boys most of the time, they did seem to turn out pretty well. My daughter is O.K. as well but so far no chain saws from her.

I did a little looking around over on Mike Acres sight and came to the conclusion is was a Mono, or at least built by Mono.

Modified Mark's Mono with the AH81
attachment.php

Does this mean I am now going to have to build a full collection from another manufacturer as well?

Where does it end?

I know what you mean as only have a daughter and seriously doubt that she will be sending any old saws my way:):)!!!
It sure is very similar to the mono that I have but was probably badged for someone else. I mean how many companys could build a saw that looks like that!!!
AND yes it more than likely means you will need a new series of shelves for the Mono line!!!!
As far as ending? I think you have to go to meetings three times a week in the evening to stop and even then it's NOT 100 percent effective I've heard.
Did I mention that the Zip sure looks to be in beautiful original condition???

I messed around with the "new" saws a bit last night, tank on the MONO looked O.K., good spark, about 100 PSI compression. I put a little fuel in the tank, gave it one pull and it popped, second pull, second pop, then the fuel started to run out of the carburetor, guess it will need a little more attention.

Pulled the plug on the Zip, good spark, 100 PSI compression, fuel tank looks O.K. so pour in some fresh mix, give it a couple of pulls and it fires, couple more and it's running making a cloud of smoke and terrible grinding noise in the area of the bar/chan/sprocket. Shut it down and pull the clutch cover to find a 3/8-7 tooth sprocket, funny, the chain looks more like .404. Find a good used .404-7 tooth sprocket, add a little oil to the tank, and it is alive and willing.

Now I need to find the rest of the muffler, and I noticed there is a piece missing off of the top of the saw, must be some sort of shroud that goes over the top of the cylinder/spark plug. Anyone have a Zip for parts?

Mark

Mark, that saw of mine has WD stamped on the Power Products tag on it and someone smarter then me on these old saws, said that meant it was made for Montgomery Wards.

Thats probably why its a gold color. Since yours is the same color, maybe it is a Mono for Wards also?

Latest posts

Back