do i need a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i pitched my dilemna to sean and he offered some insight. i'll throw it out here as well. i have a need for a bigger saw for occasional bigger cutting. probably no milling. likely need a 28" bar at times. have 2 346xps with 16 and 18" bars that do nearly all of my cutting. but on occasion i could use a stronger saw/longer bar. if you had to pick 1, would you go with the 572 or the 390? i dont want to get the 72 and then regret not buying the 90. i also don't want to buy the 90 and never use it. as stated initially i'm cutting 5 cords a year, and would only need this saw occasionally - maybe 1 of every 5 trees i buck...

If you don't need it urgently, don't need it often..... and you already have Sean's ear...... perhaps look for a 385 or 390 that needs rebuilt? Easy saws to work on, ton more saw that the 346's and you will learn a whole lot as you fix it back up after spending (hopefully) little to buy it initially?

bob in an ideal world that sounds great. however i'm a dad with a 2 year old, my wife runs a small business (so i'm involved there), and i'm a full time health care worker. so time is very limited...

bob in an ideal world that sounds great. however i'm a dad with a 2 year old, my wife runs a small business (so i'm involved there), and i'm a full time health care worker. so time is very limited...

Understood- that is what I meant by "if you don't need it urgently". You can take your time to rebuild a saw, ideally a burned out top end type saw- only takes a few hours at the most (less than 10) to replace a top end on a 3 series Husqvarna first time around. Next time it is dead simple!

Latest posts

Back