Help with Homemade cone type log splitter, please...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodHinds

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm thinking of making a log splitter using a screw/cone type log splitter mounted to a horizontal shaft motor with a centrifugal clutch...

Wondering if a 8hp motor will give the unti enough torque to split through oak? Budget is a huge concern. Parts for my concept will be relatively inexpensive.

Advice? Thanks. Rod~

I'm thinking you might need some gear reduction there on a smaller engine like that more so than what a cf clutch can give ya. I'll have to think on this one...hmmmm...

I'm thinking you might need some gear reduction there on a smaller engine like that more so than what a cf clutch can give ya. I'll have to think on this one...hmmmm...

Thanks Diesel. I was also thinking of using another larger sprocket as a type of gear reduction. Thoughts?

Hey there,

I'm thinking of making a log splitter using a screw/cone type log splitter mounted to a horizontal shaft motor with a centrifugal clutch...

Wondering if a 8hp motor will give the unti enough torque to split through oak? Budget is a huge concern. Parts for my concept will be relatively inexpensive.

Advice? Thanks. Rod~

Hi Rod, and WELCOME to AS!

Why are you contemplating making one of these splitters?

They are kind of like dinosaurs, as they have been around for lets say 40 years, but never caught on for many reasons, including SAFETY, and efficiency. If you happen to place the round inaccurately it simply spins and doesn't split. Bad situation! I used one that was mounted on a rear axle of my pickup, and yes it worked but wasn't a great thing at all.

Bob

I lifted this photo from a classified ad here in Utah. Here is the link. I may no longer be for sale. KSL.com Mobile

Have you looked into getting a stickler? I have one and call it the suicide splitter. You will need to have some mass behind your screw type splitter such as a car or tractor or the logs will throw it everywhich way.

attachment.php

guys, I keep hearing about the negative of the stickler type wood splitters....any positives?

Do they go through knotts?

Mr. Rob sir, I also purchased the Stickler, and let me tell you it is anything but inefficient, anyone who would tell you otherwise never actually used one. I bought mine brand new, it comes with safety kill switch and I mount it on my plow truck (which is not road driven) when I need to split, this thing is just plain fast, the faster you can feed it the faster it splits. I put a scrap piece of plate steel under it so that the logs don't penetrate the earth when splitting, i turn up the idle of the truck and whoa!! that think can split!! At first I was scared and used the kill switch, it works!! but if you pay attention you wont have any problems with a screw type splitter as long as it setup right. Go to youtube.com and type in "stickler log splitter" and it will take you to the videos. try here : Stickler Log Splitter Firewood Screw.MOV - YouTube

I recommend you find a way to mount it on a vehicle for more power but a tractor will suffice, check out the youtube site, they have various ideas on how to mount those older screw splitters, one has an electric motor with a pulleys and it splits just fine, must be in the pulleys cuz one is bigger than the other so they get the right gear reduction on it. always make sure the tip is sharp and in good shape, my stickler hasnt dulled yet even after 17 full cord of splitting, just gotta take care of it. and remember to make it safe in operation before you split it.

I have seen too many lost fingers, mangled hands, and other injuries associated with this typ of splitter. If you want to know whay they have such a bad rap, put on a necktie and fire up a drill and let the drill grab ahold of your tie and see what happens. Im not trying to pee in your apple juice, But I want you to be aware of the risk associated with this type of splitter.

I would rather split wood with dynamite than use one of these.

Jeff

Stickler splitter

Ive used my stickler for over 17 full cord so far and have had no problems, anyone who tells you otherwise has never actually used one. The safety kill switch included with the stickler does work, and this thing splits fast!! I use a flat piece of steel under the screw to prevent wood from penetrating the ground if its soft. go to youtube.com and type in "stickler wood splitter" and it will show you various clips, first one is of the stickler mounted on a flat bed truck and its spinning pretty fast but you feed it fast too, when I split I dont bend over, i just sit on a small piece of wood and the cutter (person who is cutting the logs) throws me logs or rolls em to me and I split and toss the pieces in a separate pile. All types of splitters are dangerous, and it depends on the end user taking responsibility for their own safety. There are plenty of horror stories from hydraulic splitters and the like.

Use it safely and it will work for you. I mounted mine on my plow truck which is not road driven and already has ballast weight in the back, works great!! I love my stickler.

Ive used my stickler for over 17 full cord so far and have had no problems, anyone who tells you otherwise has never actually used one. The safety kill switch included with the stickler does work, and this thing splits fast!! I use a flat piece of steel under the screw to prevent wood from penetrating the ground if its soft. go to youtube.com and type in "stickler wood splitter" and it will show you various clips, first one is of the stickler mounted on a flat bed truck and its spinning pretty fast but you feed it fast too, when I split I dont bend over, i just sit on a small piece of wood and the cutter (person who is cutting the logs) throws me logs or rolls em to me and I split and toss the pieces in a separate pile. All types of splitters are dangerous, and it depends on the end user taking responsibility for their own safety. There are plenty of horror stories from hydraulic splitters and the like.

Use it safely and it will work for you. I mounted mine on my plow truck which is not road driven and already has ballast weight in the back, works great!! I love my stickler.

feader72,
Thanks for the feedback. Did I mention that I cut the tip of my thumb off with a hydraulic splitter earlier this year? I an CONSIDERABLY more careful now with operating any kind of tool. LOL

Does your stickler go through knotts and other tough pieces?

feader72,
Thanks for the feedback. Did I mention that I cut the tip of my thumb off with a hydraulic splitter earlier this year? I an CONSIDERABLY more careful now with operating any kind of tool. LOL

yes, but sometimes it goes around the knots (my wording is funky, i cant fully explain in words). I have also successfully split 4' maple logs (they were about 18" to 20" in diameter) just a few tho' and my truck (ford with 5.8l engine) had to turn off the over drive (which is what I did BEFORE i attempted to split it) and it did split em.

the reason I selected the stickler is because it was cheaper than a hydraulic splitter and I dont like most hydraulic splitters because they are slow, there was one i would have considered if it was US made, its actually a powerhorse (china made?) that splits both ways, now that looked fast and if the operator actually got it setup right, you could split like crazy with that think, that was offered by Northern Tool but it still costs more than the stickler.

hope that helps you some. good luck

feader72,

oh yeah i forgot to say that I cut my wood about 12" to 14" in length, I was told by many old ppl, wood dries faster if its cut short, 24" logs take longer to season than a 12" log, even if they both are split. and my wood gets seasoned fast. Thats just me tho' there are probably others out there who will contest that.

Screw type splitter

Hi
Don't let anyone scare you away from using , and or making one of these,
I turned a screw on a Southbend 9" swing lathe many years ago, and was a finer pitch then what you see on the Stickler, maybe more like what the Acorn units has...
It worked like a charm.
We probably split 15 cords a year for many years....
Initially we had an opposed twin OMC Sno prince skidoo engine on it and found that in order to have the power we had to keep the revs up...

The engine noise was more tiring then the work of splitting...
Later mod was to use a Austin Mini engine and that was excellant...

As long as you have a solid bar, in line with the rotating axis of the splitter then you always have a stop...
This bar is attached to the same frame as the motor and splitter is on...
I wouldn't necessarily count on the ground to always work, because If the end of the log gets by and lifts the splitter then you'll have some trouble...
i believe this is where they went wrong with the Stickler back in the day when Cars fell of Jacks etc...
There is nothing unsafe about these, If used properly...

A 8 hp engine I would guess would not have the power...
The Acorn Units which fit on the 3 pt Hitch of your tractor work very well..
My father in law has a couple of them, and used his B series Kubota to run it...

Of course, If you work around it with loose clothing etc, then you may run the risk, of snagging something...

I have a VHS video around here somewhere of how slick that was, one day I'll find a way to get it on to utube, so others can see how one of these can split, we had three , four or five pieces being split at once...
Load the wood on the pointy end, and pull it of the big end...
Ran it for hours....
A 70 year old man can sit there in a chair, for hours, and as long as he has wood , keep feeding the point, and have someone clear the wood away from underneath..
and I agree with the others who have posted here, regarding some folks, who are very negative about these and may have never used them
Go thru knots??, like a knife thru butter...

Absolutely wonderful...

View attachment 211430View attachment 211431View attachment 211432

Found some pictures...
1pic is Herb demonstrating how not to do it, it was a joke with the locals, who often asked about the splitter and weren't quite sure how it worked....

I didn't realize how much wood we dragged out as kids, until I had a close look at these pictures....
Never hurt us one bit you know...

The double row chain and gears must have come right out of the Sno Prince...
These Pictures are of the Opposed twin set up for the powerplant
Wicked splitter, gotta love it, sad that the person that built this, my father, and Herb are no longer with us..
I spent many an afternoon when I got home from school turning that taper on the screw

whacker

Last edited:
guys, I keep hearing about the negative of the stickler type wood splitters....any positives?

Do they go through knotts?

They go through knots, gloves, pants, skin, flesh, just kidding. I depends on the wood. Mine works great for soft wood, pine, fir, spruce and straight grain hardwood. Elm is a pain and caused me to give it the name of "Suicide Splitter".

I had mine installed on my truck at the time which was a Ford 3/4 ton with a 460 motor. I could sit and watch the fuel gauge move as it sat at a stop light. It was not very cost effective at the time. I also have two hydraulic splitters so the Stickler doesn't see much action now days. I have been thinking about getting an axle and mounting a 3-point hitch on it. Add a drive shaft to the differential and PTO and have a set up for the tractor. Mostly for splitting up the big rounds and stumps.

If you think about it hydraulic splitters are not that safe either. Hands and fingers have been lost or smashed. I have had my shins knocked around a few times with split wood coming back at me. Just like everything else in life there is a risk. You need to know your boundaries and stick to them. Just like you wouldn't lean over the ram on a hydraulic unit, don't lean over the stickler. Sit back away and to one side of the point. Make sure the vehicle is blocked. I use to lift the other side and chain the tire to the axle just to make sure it wouldn't take off on me.

None of the splitters are as dangerous as the saw that was used to cut the wood up in the first place. I think the thought of slowly being impaled by a large screw causes many of us to avoid the Stickler. It has its limits and needs to be respected just like any other useful tool.

I had one and it worked very well except for in stringy or curly grained wood. I got rid of mine because a large portion of what I cut is stringy and curly grained wood(live oak and pecan). I also didn't like staying hunched over for hours while splitting.

I do not like the idea of attaching them to a vehicle drivetrain. The mass and torque are great enough to do large amounts of damage to operators and bystanders. The kill switch can prevent runaway but there's still momentum to deal with.

For a dedicated splitter I'd say an electric driven or electric clutch actuated system using a foot pedal start / stop switch would improve safety considerably. If the operator is not positioned correctly the splitter doesn't work. If electric motor driven, the foot switch can be made from a variable speed controller to reduce motor torque while feeding the round. On a vehicle mounted system modern electronics using acelerometers could detect excess vehicle motion and kill the engine. These splitters do have a habit of injuring people so keep safety in mind.

Latest posts

Back