Help with my new old Stihl, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a 028wb and a Mac 1010 at a "junk" store this afternoon. They just begged me to buy them. The Stihl jug looks good, compression is 120 with a automotive tester that I can't thread all the way in the cylinder because it hits the piston. I put a kit in the carb, adjusted the coil with a business card, new plug, It has good spark, and it popped the third pull, it just will not "catch and run, it splutters for a second or two and dies. I'm dumb as dirt on this thing so where to start after what I have done so far, things to check, anything, I put a new fuel filter on it also and set the carb jets one full turn out each. Help me out here please.

Check your fuel hose and Impulse hose... the just fall to pieces after a while. Check your carb inlet screen.

Do a quick search on AS - there is tons of info on resurrecting 028's and simialr..

have you checked the choke? may be nothing but the choke is in the air filter and a little wire loop is what pushes it closed. had this one once, looked like it was choked, but removing the air filter and choking it with my finger over the carb made it fire right up and run (after removing improvised choke plate (aka, finger) fine. replaced the air filter and she still runs today.
-Ralph

If your fuel mix is fresh, and it does as you have described, I would suggest looking at the points a little closer.

Latest posts

Back