Help with Stihl Saw ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tossin

Reaction score
First post, I discovered this place while trying to determine the ID on my dad's and grandfather's saw.

While at my Mom's over Thanksgiving, I picked up my late father's (and my grandfather's before that) old Stihl chainsaw. The ID plate has fallen off it. Gas tank is clean, Dad was fastidious about running it dry when he was done with it. There's some bar oil in it. The cord pulls fine, but I didn't put any fuel oil mix into it to see if it still runs - it's been over 10 years since it was last run.

Besides confirming the ID on it (I *think* it's a 020 AV - if I could get any kind of help with the model number, that would be great) - do y'all think it's worth taking it to a shop to be gone through? I'm hesitant to fuel it up and start pulling because I know what age does to fuel lines. I will be moving to a house in the spring with trees on the property and I'll need a saw. I'm not opposed to putting money into it as long as it will be reliable and I'm not approaching the cost of a new saw of a similar caliber. It's the saw I learned on and a part of me likes the idea of using the saw my Dad and grandfather used, but only if it's safe and reliable.

If it helps, the S/N is 8410782.

Thanks for the help!

20141130_134328.jpg 20141130_134343.jpg

Attachments

• 20141130_134334.jpg
    20141130_134334.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
Yep, that right there be an 020AV. I would dribble a little mixed gas down the throat of the carburetor and see if it pops off. If it does, I wouldn't hesitate filling the tanks and see if she will start and stay running. You might get lucky. Nothing to lose, give it a go.

Latest posts

Back