Help with the decision between the 390xp and 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mich_woodsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well here goes nothing. First off I will explain my situation and that may or may not help answer my questions. I cut approximately 150 facecords a year, with 80% being white ash and 20% red oak. OCCASIONALLY I get into a patch with some that are 4-5' in diameter, which, right now I have about 30 of them, MOST of the time im into 12"-30" trees. I would like a saw that will at least handle comfortably a 36" bar for the larger situations. That being said, here are some of my questions. What would everybody recommend, being as this will not be an EVERY DAY 10 hr a day saw and only be used on the larger trees? What is the biggest differences and or advantages or disadvantages of the inboard clutch on the 390 and the outboard clutch on the 395? As far as power does the 390 have enough balls to pull a 36? Is the less than 2lbs more for the 395 REALLY that big of a deal? I have called Madsens and talkes to a salesman and he told me a lot of guys are going 390 and getting them ported which he claimed was a 10-15% power increase. The prices were $925 for the 390 w a 36" bar and $1099 with the port job, the 395 w the 36" bar with no port job $1029. Does this porting take longevity of life away from the saw? Would it be better to just go with the saw that has more displacement from the factory and just deal with the little bit more weight and the chain tensioner thats not side mounted? Any knowledgeable answers would really be appreciated, I am not looking for answers like "Dont go with either get the Stihl 660 or 880" these answers are not relevant as Ive cut with a friends stihl and besides them a LOT and was NOT impressed. IT WILL BE a cold day in he11 when I purchase a Stihl product.

:popcorn: this'll be good

you said you want it for big wood get the big saw!!!

If you can do most of your cutting with a 36" bar, then the 390 would be my choice. Trees that need a longer bar can be cut from both sides. From what you describe, I think the 390 is the right one for you.

I would pick the 395 for a 36" in hardwood. I've had multiples of both and I don't think a stock 390 or ported will really be happy with a 36" buried. The 395 can chug along with a 42" and full comp buried in big wood. If it's not going to be used all the time I would get a 395 and a cannon bar and go to town on the larger trees.

For running a 36" day after day in hardwoods, id go 395 myself. If a 36" will be once in awhile occurance id probably go 390....maybe. I got a 395, damn it gets heavy after awhile though. Id have either one of them ported

no need to buy a saw from madsens when you have spike60 here as a site sponsor. his prices will usually beat anyone else and is a lot closer to you. shipping from spike would be way less than from madsens. then if you want it really ported for a real gain send it to one of us site sponsors that do porting and you should see upwards of 40% gain ,not 10-15%.

I'm porting a 390xp right now. I'll be posting some videos.....

That may help up make up your mind. What Terry said about Spike60 I second. :msp_biggrin:

Never buy a saw based on what you think it will do after being ported. Buy a saw that can do the work you need it to do as a stock saw. The porting is just a bonus.

A lot of guys on this site rate saws based purely on power output alone, but there's more variables to the equation. How much heat can a saw dissipate in a day?
The 395 can take and absorb and deal with much more heat than the 390. The 395 can also take much more abuse. It has a heavier crank, piston, cylinder, clutch, and a bigger muffler.

Never buy a saw based on what you think it will do after being ported. Buy a saw that can do the work you need it to do as a stock saw. The porting is just a bonus.

A lot of guys on this site rate saws based purely on power output alone, but there's more variables to the equation. How much heat can a saw dissipate in a day?
The 395 can take and absorb and deal with much more heat than the 390. The 395 can also take much more abuse. It has a heavier crank, piston, cylinder, clutch, and a bigger muffler.

The 395 is a bad ass saw....... :msp_wink:

I have a 394XP that's a low top......I really like that saw. :)

"Dont go with either get the Stihl 660 or 880" these answers are not relevant as Ive cut with a friends stihl and besides them a LOT and was NOT impressed. IT WILL BE a cold day in he11 when I purchase a Stihl product.

you should get the Stihl Farmboss. I tried one once. My neighbor had it and it cut awesome with the 20 inch blade.

you should get the Stihl Farmboss. I tried one once. My neighbor had it and it cut awesome with the 20 inch blade.

Blade huh???????

donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg

Nick; I tried to tell him about Stihl. Check my post.

I had facts!!

All joking aside, I always thought the 660 fell in between the two. Little more torque than the 390, little less than the 395. Feels a little heavier than the 390, but a little lighter than the 395. I just posted a smartass comment because I was amused by how the entire Stihl line was dismissed because the OP ran his friends Stihl once. That being said, it's his money, he can buy whatever he likes.

Latest posts

Back