Help with the decision between the 390xp and 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be in the minority but I like how a 395 handles especially with a 42" compared to a 660 and 390. I've had all 3 around at the same time and the 395 oiler is way ahead of the others. I think a 390 oiler would probably be fine on a 36" but a 395 will pour oil off the end of a 36".

If you can get by with a 32" bar then call spike and get a 2188 headed your way. A 32" total/tsumura on a 2188 would be awesome.:msp_biggrin:

I must be in the minority but I like how a 395 handles especially with a 42" compared to a 660 and 390. I've had all 3 around at the same time and the 395 oiler is way ahead of the others. I think a 390 oiler would probably be fine on a 36" but a 395 will pour oil off the end of a 36".

If you can get by with a 32" bar then call spike and get a 2188 headed your way. A 32" total/tsumura on a 2188 would be awesome.:msp_biggrin:

I believe a heavier powerhead counterballanse a heavy bar better, a bar mount closer to the centerline (outboard clutch) helps, too.

It also has an outboard clutch, that some believe is inconvenint - but actually is an advantage! :msp_biggrin:

Sawtroll, ol' buddy, there aint nothing that is gonna help the balancing act of the 395. They are the equivelent of a concrete block with a handle bar on it.

They got some gonads though.....

Decision made

Well thanks to everyone who gave me an intelligent, useable comment, (althought the ice cream n pie guy did give me a chuckle), I have decided Im going to go with the 390xpw from madsens and get it ported, simply because the saw is waaay more versatile than the 395. Now does anybody have any suggestions on who can REALLY wake the saw up with their woods port job or should I just have madsens do it for $170 bucks?

thanks for all the great replies, my decision is on the 390 because its such a versatile saw. Only question I have is should I have madsens do the woods port for the extra $170 bucks or is there someone that can really WAKE the saw up with their work on here?

Last edited:
I know there's a few here that can really make that saw run. Blsnelling, mastermind, tlandrum, and tree monkey, oh yeah don't forget stumpy too.

thanks for all the great replies, my decision is on the 390 because its such a versatile saw. Only question I have is should I have madsens do the woods port for the extra $170 bucks or is there someone that can really WAKE the saw up with their work on here?

I would not let someone mod my saw that only claims 10-15%, for all you know, they are just modding the muffler.

Send it to someone here that you trust. I would send it to someone that has the most experience doing 390's and i couldnt tell you who that is.

I'd definetly go with one of the porters on here, I used to own a stock 660 , sent a new 460 to a porter on here and did before and after video's on the same log with the same bar and chain times increased 38-40%. The 460 would eat the stock 660 alive, so I sold it.
MasterMind, BLSnelling, Tree Monkey, Simonizer, Stumpy, TLandrum, just pick one, sorry if I missed anyone else, just pick one, and get a real woods port were you will see major gains.

Latest posts

Back