Here's a good one for you. What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blsnelling
I sold a really nice 028WB on eBay on Feb 4, LINK. I followed eBay/PayPal policies and shipped it insured with signature confirmation. It arrived in Florida on Feb 10 and was signed for.

Tonight, three weeks later, I get an email containing the following message.

"Hello Seller. I Haven't Receive The Item As(Stihl 028 Wood Boss Chainsaw Super Nice Clean) The Shipping Company Keep It On Hold Because Of The Gas And Oil That Was Left In It. They Marked It As Dangerous Chemical. And I Now See They Have Send It Back To You. When U Received It Refund Is Needed. Thanks In Advance."

What would you do?

struggle

struggle

Got stumps?
If it shows signed for and delivery accepted I would think if you are off the hook. It is the shipper that has the problem.

Do you think the person was/is trying to scam you and does not realize you know it was signed for and accepted?

I currenty have someone not paying for an item they just bought from on ebay through multiple trys to contact them. This will be the first time I will have to open a case with them on Ebay.

booger1286

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
i would contact shipping company to be sure the package made it there then call ebay and explain to them the situation. If you have the confirmation then your not responsible.Ebay should deal with him.

ChipMonger

ChipMonger

ArboristSite Operative
Couple Things:

1: Sounds like a blatant scam.
2. Who signed for it? and what was the address that signed for it?
3. Who was the shipping company?
4. If you get the saw back, refund the money
5. Suggest to the individual that they return to school because how they wrote what they wrote is SCARY!!!

JRepairsK70e

JRepairsK70e

been there ...done that
if you have a signature confirmation of delivery and the buyer used the saw and then decided to send it back ... i would wait to see if the new owner is going to pay to have it sent back to them . some people have a lot of sac ,good luck jk

blsnelling
I shipped it with UPS. I have proof of delivery to the PayPal address on Feb 10. So what if the saw returns obviously used? Suppose it's damaged and/or dirty. It was spotless when it left here, having been gone through entirely. I'm not in the saw loaning business, especially for free to a stranger.

a. palmer jr.
I shipped it with UPS. I have proof of delivery to the PayPal address on Feb 10. So what if the saw returns obviously used? Suppose it's damaged and/or dirty. It was spotless when it left here, having been gone through entirely. I'm not in the saw loaning business, especially for free to a stranger.

That's exactly what I said, but it turned out I was in the saw lending business after all. I've said it before but this time when my items time runs out on ebay I think I may be done with them. It's just too much of a hassle anymore.

komatsuvarna

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
I've never bought or sold through Ebay, so I cant help much,,,,but it sounds like the buyer is full of mud. Id guess he used it and decided he didn't want it, or needed some money and figured this would be the easiest way out, especially since Feb 10th was over 3 weeks ago. Just thinking out loud though.

kugss

kugss

ArboristSite Operative
I would try and check if the person sending the forth grade style email was the person that really bought the saw. Lots of hacking and misleading with that scum on the other side of the pond.

Dan_IN_MN

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Did you have any email from the buyer before the end of the auction? If so, is this email from the same email address? IMHO the email you posted sounds like a generic email looking to make a buck.

How many saws do you ship a month? How many saws have you shipped with fuel and oil in them? NONE I BET!

Jacob J.
The wording of that e-mail is the tell. It is written the same as the solicitation e-mails we all get bombarded with. I expect that feller wasn't born on this side of the water.

My impression is that it's not even the actual buyer who has sent the message, or if it was, then the scam was intentional all the way along. The wording, the broken English, capitalizing every word- all point to a deposed Nigerian General who needs your help getting his fortune out of the country.

blsnelling
IMHO the email you posted sounds like a generic email looking to make a buck.

My impression is that it's not even the actual buyer who has sent the message, or if it was, then the scam was intentional all the way along. The wording, the broken English, capitalizing every word- all point to a deposed Nigerian General who needs your help getting his fortune out of the country.

Are you suggesting that you don't think I'll even see the saw again, that he's simply hoping for a quick refund?

Latest posts