Hey guys, looking for a new or good used saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zz rich

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just looked and I havent posted here for 5 years ! How time flies.....Anyways I need to clean up a couple of large pine trees in my Moms backyard. One large branch came down and own tree that has grown horizontaly must come out. Maybe a couple feet in diameter. (I'll try to post a pic later) I have been looking at the echo cs-370 and cs-400. Also if I could find an older Husky that would work as well. I dont want to go with a cheap craftsman, poulan or homelite. The saw would be used for this one project and then sit dormant for quite awile. My budget is arround $200.00 . My last saw was a poulan micro, so this will be a big step up for me !:clap: I am just a homeowner with a small yard to maintain, so something with a 16 to 18 " bar should do. Thanks !:chainsaw:

Edit: just saw a Stihl 025 for sale in my area, $15.00. got to check it out !

Last edited:
Rent a saw now. Save your money. Buy a good saw later.

Good point. I will check my local rental shops for the daily fee.

Edit: These are very large logs, I underestimated there size. When I get over to my moms house I will take some pics. I also am planning on making cord wood out of it.

Last edited:
not tryin to argue,cause renting a saw is a fine idea,but im sure sometime in the near future you will again need a saw.I have seen nice Husky 55s and Stihl 029s 290s on ebay for less than $200.I once bought an 034 in excellent shape for $199 on the bay.That 034 is one of the finest saws ever made.Not one of the best saws ,but a 295 Poulan Pro can be bought brand new for around $225 if you do some shopping.Put a 16" on a PP 295 and you have a fine saw.

Turns out the $15 for the stihl 025 was really $150. (typo) The guy just had it in the shop and had it completely serviced. New bearings bushings the works. He says he has all the reciepts for it. Plus it comes with about 10 new chains. He will take $140 for it, and he says its "like new." He says he doesnt know much about saws:)) ) So sounds like a good deal, what do you guys think ?

Turns out the $15 for the stihl 025 was really $150. (typo) The guy just had it in the shop and had it completely serviced. New bearings bushings the works. He says he has all the reciepts for it. Plus it comes with about 10 new chains. He will take $140 for it, and he says its "like new." He says he doesnt know much about saws:)) ) So sounds like a good deal, what do you guys think ?

It might be a good deal on the saw $$ wise, but its too small for 24"+ wood.:dizzy: The Echo CS-370 and CS-400 are too small as well. If you were cutting 16" max, it would be a different story.

Check the classifieds here for new and used saws.

Here are some pics of what I am dealing with. The broken limb is about 18" the crooked tree is 24"+ at the base. Does anybody know a better way of posting pics here ?

Last edited:
It might be a good deal on the saw $$ wise, but its too small for 24"+ wood.:dizzy: The Echo CS-370 and CS-400 are too small as well. If you were cutting 16" max, it would be a different story.

Check the classifieds here for new and used saws.

Thanks. I did see some nice saws on the trading post. I am trying to save my mom some money (plus I owe her:) ) So any work I can do myself is a huge plus. What size saw would be adequate for cutting 24" logs ?

the old guard around here are slipping!!!
ms361!
use the 200 you got and borrow the other 400.
while it sits idle on the shelf, between uses, you can just admire it.
oh yeah and you will be certified cancer free!:)

I would stay very clear of Echo chainsaws. Very under powered IMO. 24" or bigger you should have a 60cc-80cc saw. 60cc would be pushing it limits stock and 80cc would eat'em up.

Looks as if you have a pretty big mess to clean up. pine is easy to cut, You need something that will pull at least an 18 inch bar good. My 250 would do it but it would take forever to cut all that. i would want something a little bigger for all that you have to cut. My 036 pro would be ideal for it. TRy to find one with at least 4 pony power.

Last edited:
For the amount your gona use it, you don't need a 80cc saw. It would be fun, but not needed. A 60cc saw will do fine. I buddy of mine runs a 365special, with 24" bar, it pulls it just fine.

You guys are right. Get the right saw for the job, just like I always say get the right tool for the job for mechanical work. A bigger saw means less wear and tear on your body, but I have heard the bigger saws have a nasty kick-back. I am big and strong enough to handle a big saw, just never have yet !:)

@ scootr : thanks for the tip on the big poulan. I didnt know they made em that big !:cheers: Heck, if it lasts long enough to get this job done it would be money well spent !:greenchainsaw:

You guys are right. Get the right saw for the job, just like I always say get the right tool for the job for mechanical work. A bigger saw means less wear and tear on your body, but I have heard the bigger saws have a nasty kick-back. I am big and strong enough to handle a big saw, just never have yet !:)

@ scootr : thanks for the tip on the big poulan. I didnt know they made em that big !:cheers: Heck, if it lasts long enough to get this job done it would be money well spent !:greenchainsaw:

There is a fine line, with bigger saws and less wear and tear on you. The BIG ones arn't light. A good professional 60cc class saw will get most done what you will ever need. I got a 272xp, it will handle most anything, granted its
72cc, but its allot lighter then my 394xp, trust me your arms will thank you after a day of cutting not having to run a real big saw. I just got a 038 super pro running today, its 67cc, and its cost me total $85 to get running. You need to know how to wrench on saws but if you can find a fixerupper and got the know how to fix it, go for it. My 066(92cc) cost me total $250 to get running.

ZZ, those older, big Poulans are some good saws. Probably the best bang for your buck. I missed one yesterday that looked new, prolly a ring and clean the cylinder up. It went for7 bucks and change, plus shipping. I am kicking myself for letting that one get by!

Those old Poulans were made well, here in the U.S. The new ones are junk. Also, the older Homelites are indestructable as well! Look for a good runner in either flavor, it will prolly outlast you.

ZZ, those older, big Poulans are some good saws. Probably the best bang for your buck. I missed one yesterday that looked new, prolly a ring and clean the cylinder up. It went for7 bucks and change, plus shipping. I am kicking myself for letting that one get by!

Those old Poulans were made well, here in the U.S. The new ones are junk. Also, the older Homelites are indestructable as well! Look for a good runner in either flavor, it will prolly outlast you.

OMG ! I hope not ! Well, if it does outlast me I could always pass it down to my sons.:cheers: Those little chimps ! :monkey:

Well looks like its settled. I need a big saw. Thankfully, I can wrench on almost anything, so a fixer-upper would be ok too !

Just follow the link below and buy one. You won't be dissappointed. I promise! You'll find TONS of reasons to use one once you have a nice one.

I've already taken the liberty filtering out most of the 'non-complete saw' items. Take your pick. You got Stihl, Husky, and J-Reds to choose from. hahaha

Linky: Nice list of saws!

Also, this is a newly listed one. They have the title as Stilh MS 440 Chain saw but the pictures show it as a 440 Magnum

Link to the Beast

Last edited:
Back