Hey, Sawtroll - Cold up there yet??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll, Finns do indeed eat Lutefisk. They call it lipeäkala.
All the grocery stores in the area I live in stock Lutefisk as we aree over ran with finnlanders, swedes and Norwegians.

HA, very interesting Ben.:cheers:

....but obviously not our sole (?) Finnish friend on this site.....

Have you ever tried rakafisk?

:biggrinbounce2:

Lakeside53 said:
..... Lefse can also be used similarly to a tortilla, with your favorite ingredients inside. "
That is what I mainly assosiate with lefse, but as is said, there are lots of variants.....

Hey Ultra

The www.lefse.com is in Blair WI....:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

SawTroll said:
HA, very interesting Ben.:cheers:

....but obviously not our sole (?) Finnish friend on this site.....

:biggrinbounce2:

nope, we fins still dont eat lutefisk (atleasnt not around here)... we eat mämmi (check the picture)

DSC02463.jpg

looks delicious, doesnt it?

basicly, its boiled ryeflour with some malts init + various other ingredients... its normally eaten with not-whipped cream :hmm3grin2orange:

blis said:
basicly, its boiled ryeflour with some malts init + various other ingredients... its normally eaten with not-whipped cream :hmm3grin2orange:
....and a case of vodka, I am sure!:rockn: :rockn:

Food is such a comforting thought on this warm Autumn day in Sawtrolls back yard..... 10/24/2006

Wind from the ESE (120 degrees) at 9 MPH (8 KT) (direction variable)
Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)
Sky conditions mostly cloudy
Temperature 28 F (-2 C)
Windchill 19 F (-7 C)
Dew Point 21 F (-6 C)
Relative Humidity 74%

Last edited:
No, and I am not sure what it even is.
Incidently Lutefisk made with pollock is pretty good and doesnt smell bad like the stuff made from Cod does.
I have also heard that more Lutefisk is consumed in the upper midwest than in scandanavia.
Bliss, I know a couple of Finns that love the stuff(lutefisk). It ,may be more popular with Finns in the USA than Finnland. It also could be like Pasty's which where a cornish invention, but often attributed to Scandanavians. BTW a local company make a great Juustoleipa. Good stuff.

bwalker said:
......BTW a local company make a great Juustoleipa. Good stuff....

ooh, leipäjuusto (thats what we call it here, called juustoleipä on northern parts) is indeeed delicious, didnt even know you could get some over there :D

Sawtroll, I go hiking and fishing in northern Norway and Sweden a couple of times every year. In March I was on Lofoten, not so far from Bardufoss. Beautiful place! Last summer I was fishing in Tyttebaersviken close to Narvik. Do you know the place? There is a rusty, German destroyer from WW2 that was taken ashore by the crew before being hit by fire from English ships.

For the benefit of those not having been there, I attach a photo from Lofoten with the fishing boats, and another one from northen Sweden. Not too many trees there!

t_andersen said:
Sawtroll, I go hiking and fishing in northern Norway and Sweden a couple of times every year. In March I was on Lofoten, not so far from Bardufoss. Beautiful place! Last summer I was fishing in Tyttebaersviken close to Narvik. Do you know the place? There is a rusty, German destroyer from WW2 that was taken ashore by the crew before being hit by fire from English ships. .....

Hello t_a!
There are lots of Swedes around here in summertime. Fishing in the ocean, and salmon and seatrout in the rivers, is what draws most of them, I believe.

I lived in Narvik for 11 years. That destroyer is probably Georg Thiele, and if that is the case I have been close to it several times - by boat, mind you. Once I cought a 40 lbs cod close to it...:D

In Lavangen, the Swedes have "their own" fishing camp - the place is swarming with Swedes every summer - not that anyone minds.:D

Here is a photo of the destroyer as it looked during WW2 and another as it looks today. Not that it has much to do with chain saws but it's interesting anyway-

Latest posts

Back