Hi kids :-)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo; are u going to use Perma Chink ?
What stain r u gonna use . Lots of people use Super Deck . And it looks good for several years . But then it flakes and yellows amd needs to b stripped .
Westcoaster . how many psi were you running in the tires ? Fattys do have more rolling resistence than smaller tires . But, when the going gets soft or rugged , the fat tires roll over stuff that a narrow tire will sink in . . Its only heart attack hard if you go up in the gears Or , if the bike doesnt have low enough gears. . As Im not a light weight kinda guy . The big tires will carry my weight better without getting flats from pinchingwhen I bump over a rock or log .

Found it on Craigslist.
And no its not a girls bike. the top tube has that droop to allow for better standing so you can stop and shoot easier !
saved enough buying this one . I swung by the saw shop and bought a new MS251.
which so far Im impressed with . Its just a good old fashion chain saw without all the foolishness on it. .
IE , no 2 barrel carb or computer trying to tell it how to run . And it has spring mounts.
I got it with a 16" b+c . And I ordered a floaring rim clutch drum .

Found it on Craigslist.
And no its not a girls bike. the top tube has that droop to allow for better standing so you can stop and shoot easier !
saved enough buying this one . I swung by the saw shop and bought a new MS251.
which so far Im impressed with . Its just a good old fashion chain saw without all the foolishness on it. .
IE , no 2 barrel carb or computer trying to tell it how to run . And it has spring mounts.
I got it with a 16" b+c . And I ordered a floaring rim clutch drum .

But it has no oil adjustment screw.

That is true . but with a dinky little 16" bar it dumps on enough oil . plenty enough for an 18 or 20 if it lives wide open . A good friend has one that has an 18" bar on it and it does great !! even with the bar full. Which , around here isnt that often . . It weighs a fair ammount less than the 261 and tho it doesnt have the power a 261 has . it has plenty for what I will do with it. . If I need a bigger saw , I got a bigger saw :numberone:

Far out of my price range. Them and Fatback.
I do like the look of their aluminum frame+fork bikes . but $3600.00 is just TOO much money for a peddle bike. !! imho.
I seriously doubt I could tell any difference between a 9Zero7 or Fatback . And the KHS 3000. . Heck . I only have 1 hopped up powersaw. And I really KNOW power saws.
Sometimes , good enough is just , plenty good enuf. Bit 9Zero7s and Fatbacks are REALLY NICE. . If I was a young hot rod , maybe. . There aint much hot rod left in me tho.

I actually wanted a 543 Husky . But no one in the Anchorage + Valley area had any. I'll prolly get a 550 Husky when I get moved to Tok. because Stihl STUPIDLY !!!!!!!!!!! stopped selling the Arctic versions of their saws in the US and Alaska. I can get a 550 w/heated handles. . Might get a warm hands 390 Husky also.

Gypo; are u going to use Perma Chink ?
What stain r u gonna use . Lots of people use Super Deck . And it looks good for several years . But then it flakes and yellows amd needs to b stripped .
Westcoaster . how many psi were you running in the tires ? Fattys do have more rolling resistence than smaller tires . But, when the going gets soft or rugged , the fat tires roll over stuff that a narrow tire will sink in . . Its only heart attack hard if you go up in the gears Or , if the bike doesnt have low enough gears. . As Im not a light weight kinda guy . The big tires will carry my weight better without getting flats from pinchingwhen I bump over a rock or log .
I think I will use perma chink or log jam.
For stain I mixed Sikkens with Rawhide. Im jacking up the house a bit because it sunk 4" on one corner.
I'd much rather live in a wall tent though.Lol

I should get back on my bike more often. I used to be a "transcontinental cyclist" when I was younger and put on at least 50,000 miles. My first ride took me 36 days to get from Toronto to Vancouver. When I finished the trip you could see more meat on an exray, but you could bounce a three pound ball pean hammer off my legs with no bruising. Lol

A geezer I know wasn't too happy with his 251, because the saw ran out of oil long before gas. All that could be done was to score some thicker bar oil. There is also chemistry for home cookers to thicken the bar oil - no need for that, fortunately, a commercial brand was stiff enough.

I'll keep an eye on it . I usually have a spare tank of each on my belt. Its better to use too much oil than not enuf. I like the 16" bar. its kinda toy like. There is a good Husky shop in Fairbanks and Ketchikan But I dont know of one in Anchorage or The Valley. I would have prefered a 346 or 242 or 246 or 543 . But , Alas.

So , I had my 1st work out ride on The Boris today . it took me 42 minutes to go a bit over 4 miles. I averaged a bit less than 6 mph. When I was 23 I used to run 6 miles and average 6 minutes per mile. . 27 years and 80 lbs takes its toll. However , it was a good leg work out with a good pump but NO PAIN !! in and around my knees. ! Thats what I was hoping for. !! I was wearing my Wild ass riggin pants . and the seams in the crotck got a bit painful :muscle:

I'll keep an eye on it . I usually have a spare tank of each on my belt. Its better to use too much oil than not enuf. I like the 16" bar. its kinda toy like. There is a good Husky shop in Fairbanks and Ketchikan But I dont know of one in Anchorage or The Valley. I would have prefered a 346 or 242 or 246 or 543 . But , Alas.

Bryan Plust has two VERY nice 246's for sale in the Trading post section.

Latest posts

Back