High Climbing Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few more. I've only been climbing for about 3 months, and have taken a camera up only twice. Once I take more I'll post them. Just waiting for other peoples pictures now...

Santa Cruz I'm psyched to see some photos of those Euc's. The 400' ones.
Do you trim Euc's also? Super Slick in the Rain.
D

Bodean said:
Santa Cruz I'm psyched to see some photos of those Euc's. The 400' ones.
Do you trim Euc's also? Super Slick in the Rain.
D

i might be wrong, but i think he said 300 feet not 400. The only reason i point that out is because no tree on earth is 400 feet tall. in fact, few are over 300. however . . . a douglas fir that fell in the early 1900's was measured at around 380 feet, if i remember right, and is the tallest tree on record.

I can agree with 300'ish for sure. I mis read the post. The Douglas Firs along the Russian river and other moist pockets of Northern California foster some big ones. Last rainy season A big Fir came down and cut this house in half. A Shear cut flush to the Mirror. The homeowners panicked and we took down like three more in the neighborhood. The Euc is huge though. and so sprawled. It's a dream to climb. A huge jungle gym.
D

ach! your making me jelous! i havent seen many eucs around here in oregon, but i have heard that they quickly grow really tall and skinny and then fall under snow load. i go to the bay area every once and a while and I love to look at the eucs around there. next time i go im bringing my gear! I wish there was some kind of tree like it here in oregon. i suppose the madrone, but its hard to find big ones.

Some Eucs

Here's a Euc I helped on Friday. Brushed out 2/3 of it in a day. The photo is from a patio looking out at the Eucs. The trees may have only been 120'ish.
Fat none the less. D

I have a bunch of old pictures around here, only a few on this computer though. Here's a couple from when I was in my 20's and still knew everything. :rolleyes:
My first crane removal, a 90' oak deader 'n' sh!t. Also some 100' skinny pines, I had a crane and plucked 14 from around a house in one day.

More Eucs from Gold Hill

Here's some photos of my friend Al and I climbing these Eucalyptus for recreation. Though I always bring a hand saw.
It was good throwball practice. All of Marin is worked with landslides. Trees are undermined left and right. Lots of Rain.

D.

Nice pics Skwerl, some of those situations looked pretty hairy!

Bodean, great pics man, maybe you could show me some good eucs to climb next time im down your way. i really like the last one where you (? someone) are smoking

Hello Mr. Sizzle,

If you come to the bay often then by all means swing by.

I've been telling my friend about these trees for awhile. The actual ones that we climbed there in the photos are up on the hill away from the Older more decayed Eucs (that were posted earlier up). These were pretty young but tall with huge crotches.

Here's a photo or two of this landslide that I worked on today. Well I didn't make the landslide but we worked the trees on the slope. The pool was filled with mud. It was insane to see that tiny slide when to think in places there are slides of millions of cubic yards of debris slamming down a mountain.
At least the trees that had to go were accacia monoxylon and not Coast live oaks.

D.

Dennis Cahoon said:
Australia has some of the tallest Eucalyptus(Gum) trees in the World. I've heard stories of 400 footers. I've seen 250' gum in Southern Victoria Aus. and giant swamp gums in the Tulume Forest, Tasmania.

I've just been to Tasmania, went on the Tahune Forest Airwalk on the west coast, the platforms are 38 metres high (around 125') and that was only half as high as some of the trees! I'll post some pics in a week or so once I get home. They are eucs, Eucalyptus regnans
In the same forest reserve is the most massive tree in Australia same species, called "Queen of the Woods" it has been estimated to be 405 tonnes in mass, it's #(*%&() ENOURMOUS!
The tallest tree in Australia is also in Tasmania, in the Styx forest, it's over 300' and its top has already died back quite a lot, didn't get to see it.

pic

BoesTreeService said:
I would love to see some photos from jobs where you have climbed high. The two I have on here are from 94'. I drop a disposable camera in a small bag that I have loops of webbing in. I was taking a limb from the top of an Oak that was blocking a clients satelite dish. I had 12' of my 200' rope on the ground and my rigging was right at the friction saver. I know alot of you have much higher climbing but around here there arent that many trees higher than 100'

The first picture posted is of the tops of nearby trees and the second is just a shot down to the ground. Cant wait to see some of your photos, especially you guys out west in the tall stuff.

Terry Boes
Owner, Boes Tree Service
Fort Wayne, IN
what did you take that picture from yer backporch, only kidding did you buy the 200 for the job

The 200 is the rope I use for climbing all the time. I will make one change next time I buy climbing rope. This rope only had an eye on one end, the next one will have eyes on both ends to make it easier to reverse the rope and extend its life.

I climb over 100' all the time and over 150' often in old growth conifers. But the hieght is not scary in solid healthy conifers. It is the tree and where it is that is scary, like 60'-80' alders and cottonwoods leaning over a three phase. I have to get a digital and take some pics., I have taken up a disposable camera with me, I don't care if it takes a ride, $10bfd.

Back