High limb chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on what you are doing with it. I wouldn't prune anything with it as there is no way to undercut the branch so you don't get bark peel. Also it only reaches 25 feet. Pole saw will get you 22+. I would skip it, but then again, I would just climb the tree anyway.:rock: Also, you should never feel like an idiot asking a question. okay, well sometimes, but not this question.:)

Thro saw

Hi
This particular saw I think came into use duringWW2 where the boys were dropped in at night and proceeded to make a high vantage point/nest to spy on ship movement,aircraft,troops etc,in places where it didn't matter what you dropped limbs on,for correct pruning you have to undercut to prevent bark peeling and making the wound bigger making entry for all sorts of nasties for trees easier.

dont buy the high limb chainsaw

i bought one last year and let me tell you it was a mistake.it always got stuck in a falling limb,it leaves alot of hinge wood unless you undercut each side and on top of that it really doesnt hold up to dayin dayout abuse.by the way mine broke.

I'd say you're perfectly safe using one of these, because I don't see how it will cut anything.

The photo in the link shows a piece of chainsaw chain on a string. How is this supposed to cut wood? If you did get it positioned on a branch with the cutters pointed at the wood, what stops it from just laying over on its side at the first bite?

Look, grab a length of sharp chain, a stout pair of gloves and find a log lying around. Now grab the chainsaw chain and rub it back and forth on the log as fast as you can. Getting anywhere?

Now imagine this procedure overhead on a piece of string.

Good Luck.

RedlineIt

Actually these work quite well, the chain does'nt "flop" over, it is rigid and only bends at the links. So when you put it over the branch and snug up each end of the cords, the chain self aligns into the cutting position.

I set up a bunch of teens with these at a camp, to trim the limbs around the (private) campsite. works well, tedious, buy hey hard work never hurt nobody.

highlimb saw

Hey, about as much fun as one of these?
pocketchainsaw.com

^ got one of those in my survival kit...although my folding Sandvick is much faster :ices_rofl:

it looks simple enough to make, just use some old slick throw line and a broken chainsaw chain! saves 45 bucks american!! my question to this product would be what happens when it dose cut through and wraps around you climbing line??????

Ordinary Chain???

This saw presents as an ordinary chainsaw chain right,wrong if memory serves me correct it is very different,and designed to cut at all angles,horses for courses,out in the bush with nothing else to use go ahead,make sure your out of the drop zone (kill zone) have fun you will soon retire this saw to the been there done that kit.

All The Best

I saw some guys using one of those a few years back. Hell, they used it on everything. The shed, the fence, the neighbors stuff. By the time they were done with that tree, well everything was ready for removal.

they are best used as aprt of a emergency or survival kit for wilderness hiking. Not so good for our job...but i a pinch...they work....the kids at the camp had fun with them

here is a pic of one in use:

AD232E29.jpg

high limb saw to cut in all directions,I stand corrected,...well maybe,its not the end of the world but if I can remember where my recollection comes from will post a pic???? has anyone seen the type i'm talking about??usually my memory pretty good...head must be filling up with sawdust;)
All The Best
JayD

My girlfriend had one of those and it worked well on limbs up to about 3" Not regular chain saw chain, but designed for this task. I laughed at it when I first saw her setting up to use it, but after that, was suprised that it did work. When the limb starts to go, make a quick, full length of chain cut to sever the last bit of holding wood and down it comes. My girlfriend (who is now my wife) had added rope to what came with the set up to give her more distance for safety. A home owner who has some common sense can use this when the "Home Depot" pole saw won't reach. Is it worth the cost? Depends on how much you use it. It is good for exercise.

Beaver

Back