Hillbilly Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest thing that I had to test it with was a 12" round of Elm about 18" long. She grunted for about one second before it popped it in two like a watermelon. I noticed that the flow between the filter and pump was being restricted by the hose sucking together in the bend so tomorrow i'm gonna hard pipe it to within 6" of the pump then rubber hose it straight in.

Thanks guys! I dont know who was excited the most to see it split, me or my 11 yr old son. He has been right by my side (along with my BIL) for the last two days working his tail off. The boy is gonna make an excellent loader.:D

Nice job there,dustytools!!!
It is always more fun to run something that you have built yourself.:clap: :clap:

I agree,whole lot better to run what you brung instead of what someone else made and I don't buy into the theory that you can buy cheaper and better than what you can make if you have the ability.Looks good and good luck with it. Scott

I agree,whole lot better to run what you brung instead of what someone else made and I don't buy into the theory that you can buy cheaper and better than what you can make if you have the ability.Looks good and good luck with it. Scott

I agree! We have a grand total of $425 dollars invested in this machine.

Nice and a grand less than my cost of the one I bought.
Does yours stand up as that helps for big rounds?

No, this is horizontal only. My engineering fell a little short when it came to making it vertical. The more that I look at it the more that I can now see how it might have been built to make it both.

that thing should split anything you throw up there. elm is a little tuff anyways.

if you're splitting huge rounds, split it "off center". it takes less force that way and you won't strain your splitter. you just have to hold it in place for a second to keep it from rolling off.

I can't imagine the fifty seven inch rounds I have setting here
holding in place. It is all I can do to get them on the little plate
in vertical mode and I wonder if anyone used ripping chain to cut
huge cookies up and if so; how good does it work?

Noodle those big rounds into quarters before split them.

Nice splitter Terry.. is it hwy towable? I'll be right over.
Ian

That splitter looks so much like mine its spooky! Only real difference is my engine sets on top the beam. Where did you find the beam steel? Looks like 12" H-piling. I got mine from one of our bridge jobsites.

Now you need to build a shelf for the far side of the wedge to catch the wood that needs splitting again...

Ian

That splitter looks so much like mine its spooky! Only real difference is my engine sets on top the beam. Where did you find the beam steel? Looks like 12" H-piling. I got mine from one of our bridge jobsites.

All of the steel came from our shop-yard at work. The main beam is a 7"X7"X3/8 structural column. Do you have any pics of yours Bowtie?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back