Historic Kiwi Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works for me :cheers:

Those kauri are pretty impressive... taking them down with hand tools ... got to admire the guys that did that.

Ian

Last edited:
my uncle visited the kauri museum a few years ago now and showed me a number of photos. I understand the kauri is a protected tree now and any kauri used for furniture etc is bog kauri that has fallen by nature, yes?

he bought a cribbage board too with maybe a couple of dosen native kiwi woods inlaid into it. some breathtakingly beautiful grains on them. :D

my uncle visited the kauri museum a few years ago now and showed me a number of photos. I understand the kauri is a protected tree now and any kauri used for furniture etc is bog kauri that has fallen by nature, yes?

Basically correct. 99% of the big ones are safely locked up in reserves where they cant be cut. The tree is still pretty common in the North of NZ, and has regenerated well in places that weren't turned into farmland. Every little patch of bush on a stream bank / roadside seems to have a few growing. But all those trees are little 50-100 year old sticks. The ones in the pictures would have been 400-1000 years old.

An occasional tree might get harvested from private land, but most of the kauri wood available is recyled or salvaged from peat swamps. The swamp kauri can be up to 50,000 years old, but has been preserved in the peat and is still workable timber.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back