History of Bow Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two more Bow saws to add to my collection.

Contra and David Bradley AH81

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I only have four and think I have posted pictures of them in other threads, but here they are.

This is a McCulloch 640:

McCulloch640019.jpg

Poulan 3400:

Poulanbowsaws009.jpg

Poulan Pro 405:

Poulanbowsaws002.jpg

Homelite Super XL:

HomeliteSuperXLbow001.jpg

Looks like a couple could use cleaning up....

I'll add a little to this thread.

This was my Sthil 020 Super that I bought brand new back in the 80's. The saw still runs good but but as you can tell it is rough looking from all the many many hours it served as a climbing and bucket saw. This 020 came origainally as a top handle saw. Like all things this saw saw became a dinosaur when the new 020 T and MS 200 line came out.

I changed the saw from a top handle over to a rear handled AVP as they are called with a small clearing bow or bush bar as my Sthil dealer called it. It isn't all that practical for cutting but if I ever get the saw prettied up at least my 020 collection will have something different in it.

I left the guards off on purpose in case someone says anything. I doubt this ever sees much serious cutting.

Last edited:
I'll add a little to this thread.

This was my Sthil 020 Super that I bought brand new back in the 80's. The saw still runs good but but as you can tell it is rough looking from all the many many hours it served as a climbing and bucket saw. This 020 came origainally as a top handle saw. Like all things this saw saw became a dinosaur when the new 020 T and MS 200 line came out.

I changed the saw from a top handle over to a rear handled AVP as they are called with a small clearing bow or bush bar as my Sthil dealer called it. It isn't all that practical for cutting but if I ever get the saw prettied up at least my 020 collection will have something different in it.

I left the guards off on purpose in case someone says anything. I doubt this ever sees much serious cutting.

Its a cool little Stihl Bow Saw Ax-man. :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey Cliff,

Thanks for embedding the pictures. I know how to do this but the format has changed or is different sinced the last time I did it and couldn't get the job done. This computer is also dying a slow death which may have something to do with this. Getting this reply in was no small chore.

I didn't have to do much altering to do to make the bar fit. I had to shave the tail of the bar a little so the chain would fit good and still be able to tension the chain and allow for stretching of the chain. I didn't have to do anything to the side cover except remove the chain catcher.

I got a good deal on the bar from my dealer. It was brand new and just never sold. He was glad to get rid of it.

I still have a long way to go before I can even come close to your collection

Last edited:
EXCELLENT SAWS as always. That red Homie reminds me of the one I have sitting on the shelf waiting to see if i can get it running. It would look cool like yours if I can ever find a bow to put on it.

Back